IGNORED

Toki Prototype For 7800 Discovered!

Willard

1 minute ago, BrianC said:

I have seen the arcade machine a few times in the US. It didn't seem to be especially rare. At least there are other nice ports of the game. I also like the Genesis game, though it's very different. 

You're right.  I played the NES port which was a bit easier as I think you had a life meter in that one.

18 hours ago, CPUWIZ said:

Life, lack of time and motivation.  Gimme, Gimme, Gimme doesn't help either.

OK, thats no problem. But let me try to understand: You don't have the time and motivation to complete the physical release of the game? And you don't want to post the digital ROM version here as you spent a lot of time and money in this project in the past? Thats completely understandable!

But maybe a few good people can join forces here to bring this to a happy ending? 

I'd love to spend some of my free time and offering my help here... Burning eproms, soldering PCBs, assembling boxes/cartridges etc is  no problem for me! And I won't ask for any money...;-)

8 minutes ago, ongikong said:

And you don't want to post the digital ROM version

No, not that I don't want to, but A.) I don't have it anymore (or can't find it) and B.)  It is not mine to give and the owner wants to do a physical release first, but he also got side tracked with RL (time is not really of essence).

It's really up to him, it's like buying a piece of artwork and then scanning it and giving it out for free, as opposed to retrieving some of the investment, that was really made for the community in the first place.  AFAIK, he doesn't care about the game, you can play it elsewhere and the 7800 wasn't really on his radar in the first place.  He found this by hunting for Lynx stuff, I believe.

Maybe this clears it up once and for all, the ROM is safe and it is not mine to give and I am keeping my word and that is why people trust me with unreleased prototypes in the first place.

• Like 13

1 hour ago, CPUWIZ said:

No, not that I don't want to, but A.) I don't have it anymore (or can't find it) and B.)  It is not mine to give and the owner wants to do a physical release first, but he also got side tracked with RL (time is not really of essence).

It's really up to him, it's like buying a piece of artwork and then scanning it and giving it out for free, as opposed to retrieving some of the investment, that was really made for the community in the first place.  AFAIK, he doesn't care about the game, you can play it elsewhere and the 7800 wasn't really on his radar in the first place.  He found this by hunting for Lynx stuff, I believe.

Maybe this clears it up once and for all, the ROM is safe and it is not mine to give and I am keeping my word and that is why people trust me with unreleased prototypes in the first place.

This is the reason I also cannot give out the ROM (I have it archived so it's safe).  If Willard says I can release the rom I'll do it ASAP, but it sounds like he wants to wait on that.

I'll be honest, the game is neat but as it's not unique (Toki is on multiple systems) you're not missing much.  It's amazing for a 7800 game, but it plays like a sub-par NES game (it doesn't help that it's still a beta).  It really shows how underpowerd the 7800 was compared to systems like the NES when it came to platformers.  Still, I hope it will be released some day as it shows just how far the 7800 could be pushed.

http://www.atariprotos.com/7800/software/toki/toki.htm

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, Tempest said:

This is the reason I also cannot give out the ROM (I have it archived so it's safe).  If Willard says I can release the rom I'll do it ASAP, but it sounds like he wants to wait on that.

I'll be honest, the game is neat but as it's not unique (Toki is on multiple systems) you're not missing much.  It's amazing for a 7800 game, but it plays like a sub-par NES game (it doesn't help that it's still a beta).  It really shows how underpowerd the 7800 was compared to systems like the NES when it came to platformers.  Still, I hope it will be released some day as it shows just how far the 7800 could be pushed.

http://www.atariprotos.com/7800/software/toki/toki.htm

I'm glad that the Atari Universe has Honest and Loyal folks that would honor someones choice. Toki may not be great but those of us that collect 7800 games want it just because it's part of the 7800 mythos and not so much for the game play. I'm sure someday the person who made the discovery will release this in one form or another but until then we can dream :)

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, BrianC said:

Also, from what I have seen in a youtube video of the 7800 proto, the music is terrible (even for TIA sound. Sounds almost like PC speaker music). 

With all the amazing 7800 programers on AA i'm sure someone could take this from "Beta" to "100% Complete" including Pokey sound improvements!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SalemFrost7800 said:

With all the amazing 7800 programers on AA i'm sure someone could take this from "Beta" to "100% Complete" including Pokey sound improvements!

I'll let RevEng chime in, on how much work has already been done on it, just to make it work on NTSC (for the most part).  You can forget about POKEY music, I can tell you that right now.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, CPUWIZ said:

Willard is no more.  He is someone else now and has been for years, probably got bugged to hell. ;)

Pretty sure he wanted to sperate his personal account from a more business focused one with BPG.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, CPUWIZ said:

It's really up to him

Ah OK, i misunderstood that...

I thought Willard gave you the permission to release it when you stood in contact with him last year. You wrote "the delay is on me" or sth similar... 

I do wonder how much of this is collector mentality rather than actual interest in the game? Toki ain't that great of a game if we're being honest here, and certainly not one worth badgering people over. If it comes out, it comes out, if it doesn't, there's plenty of other actually great games on the 7800, and (likely) better versions of Toki on other platforms.

• Like 6

43 minutes ago, juansolo said:

I do wonder how much of this is collector mentality rather than actual interest in the game? Toki ain't that great of a game if we're being honest here, and certainly not one worth badgering people over. If it comes out, it comes out, if it doesn't, there's plenty of other actually great games on the 7800, and (likely) better versions of Toki on other platforms.

It's 100% Collector Mentality, the 7800 has a limited number of games so when a new one pops up it becomes very exciting. Recently @darryl1970 created a homebrew of Popeye for the 7800 and the excitement surrounding the release is off the charts. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CPUWIZ said:

Willard is no more.  He is someone else now and has been for years, probably got bugged to hell. ;)

Oh?  He finally went through with the operation did he? ;)

I still hold out hope that the rom will be able to be released some day.  It's a nice little 7800 game, especially if it got a bit of polish. 

• Haha 2

On 5/12/2021 at 9:08 PM, BrianC said:

I have seen the arcade machine a few times in the US. It didn't seem to be especially rare. At least there are other nice ports of the game. I also like the Genesis game, though it's very different. 

I have the Toki JAMMA Arcade board in my closet downstairs...  

So I'd be surprised if it is that rare...    ;-)

(Note:  That is the only JAMMA board I have.  Came with a CAB I bought ages ago, which now has an XXin1 JAMMA in it..)

Also, not sure about some of the apparent disdain of Toki in this thread.

Toki is a fun game...  Admittedly, I have only played the arcade version, but it's a decent game...  IMHO

Edited by desiv

The physical release has been unlikely for some time now.  Evidently contact was made with Willard or whatever name goes by now.  Was he/she told this?  Wasn't that the whole point of reestablishing some form of contact?  If he/she doesn't really care about the game or the system and vanished for 5+ years, why would he/she care if the ROM was released?  I read the original "agreement" that Willard didn't much care about recouping money from the release, only that it should physically be released in box first, followed by the ROM, as being merely a formality.  You know, like telling your kids to eat your dinner before having any ice cream for desert.  Willard was not one of those proto-holders who were vehement about clawing to the ROM to preserve the Proto's value.  Am I reading this wrong here?  Nowhere have I read an indication from Willard that if the game cannot be put on a cartridge for hobbyists that the ROM can never see the light of day.

6 minutes ago, Greg2600 said:

The physical release has been unlikely for some time now.  Evidently contact was made with Willard or whatever name goes by now.  Was he/she told this?  Wasn't that the whole point of reestablishing some form of contact?  If he/she doesn't really care about the game or the system and vanished for 5+ years, why would he/she care if the ROM was released?  I read the original "agreement" that Willard didn't much care about recouping money from the release, only that it should physically be released in box first, followed by the ROM, as being merely a formality.  You know, like telling your kids to eat your dinner before having any ice cream for desert.  Willard was not one of those proto-holders who were vehement about clawing to the ROM to preserve the Proto's value.  Am I reading this wrong here?  Nowhere have I read an indication from Willard that if the game cannot be put on a cartridge for hobbyists that the ROM can never see the light of day.

This isn't the first time in this thread someone has argued to release the ROM.  It's just not going to happen so lets just leave it at that.

• Like 3