IGNORED

Toki Prototype For 7800 Discovered!

Willard

Toki was good.

Very good.

The game was AMAZING!... at getting all my quarters. It gulped them all down long before  my parents finished grocery shopping at a typical trip to Safeway in Quincy, CA in 1991 and/or 1992.

It was so good, I can remember the attract mode just by closing my eyes (which, after my quarters were depleted, was all there was to watch).

The thing would gulp down 75¢ in three minutes.  $1.50 didn't take it much longer.

So, as an arcade game it was good.  And by good I mean an effective quarter gobbler.

Would I rather see Rastan on the 7800? Hell yeah!  That was at that Safeway the year before, and sometimes I could actually last long enough for my folks to hit the checkout line.

Was Toki a better game?  In terms of quarter eating, a resounding YES.

Part of why I want it for the 7800 is out of personal vengeful spite. It took a lot of my allowance, like an alley grifter for 12 year olds. This, I respect.  Still, all the more reason to own the game on a 7800, my preferred field of battle, and kick it's ass in my adult life.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, CaptainBreakout said:

Toki was good.

Very good.

The game was AMAZING!... at getting all my quarters. It gulped them all down long before  my parents finished grocery shopping at a typical trip to Safeway in Quincy, CA in 1991 and/or 1992.

It was so good, I can remember the attract mode just by closing my eyes (which, after my quarters were depleted, was all there was to watch).

The thing would gulp down 75¢ in three minutes.  $1.50 didn't take it much longer.

So, as an arcade game it was good.  And by good I mean an effective quarter gobbler.

Would I rather see Rastan on the 7800? Hell yeah!  That was at that Safeway the year before, and sometimes I could actually last long enough for my folks to hit the checkout line.

Was Toki a better game?  In terms of quarter eating, a resounding YES.

Part of why I want it for the 7800 is out of personal vengeful spite. It took a lot of my allowance, like an alley grifter for 12 year olds. This, I respect.  Still, all the more reason to own the game on a 7800, my preferred field of battle, and kick it's ass in my adult life.

Love the reasoning.  (It may be why I bought Astro Blaster).  Our Safeway had Stratovox ...And Now I play it on my VCS (2600)!!

Stratovox_-_1980_-_Sun_Electronics.jpg&f118124217337.png&f=1&nofb=1

22 minutes ago, Atariboy2600 said:

In the end we all wanted play MONKIE

tenormon.gif

Nice!  I had one of those as a kid too!  You push his head and he screeches and bares his teeth.

Anyhow,  from what I can tell, TOKI looks great!  And I like the music too!   (Well Like may be a bit strong,  but it has a certain character...)  Looking forward to a release.

• Like 3

Toki will cure what ails you.

Toki will heal all wounds.

Toki without Pokey, will make you feel all right.

It will make your heart swoon.

My 7800 and me are linked,

like Elliot and E.T.

When it gets Toki in its cartridge slot,

My heart flower will bloom;

You'll see!

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

On 5/12/2021 at 11:08 PM, BrianC said:

I have seen the arcade machine a few times in the US. It didn't seem to be especially rare. At least there are other nice ports of the game. I also like the Genesis game, though it's very different. 

Having never seen the arcade game at all, my only interest in this is as another prototype found long after the end of the system’s commercial lifetime. I totally forgot there was a port for the Genesis. :)

227972D5-2FB5-4EC1-8B7E-7A7DEA77B804.jpeg

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

Having never seen the arcade game at all, my only interest in this is as another prototype found long after the end of the system’s commercial lifetime. I totally forgot there was a port for the Genesis. :)

227972D5-2FB5-4EC1-8B7E-7A7DEA77B804.jpeg

The Genesis version is not really a port but a sort of exclusive remake. :)

• Like 2

We found a portion of a time card that identifies the SKU numbers of other unreleased 7800 games. Its interesting because it lends more credibility to the fact they were probably pretty far along. This test department time card was found on the same drive as Toki. Road Riot and Rampart were NOT found on the drive. I don’t post much in the 7800 forums so I don’t know if this is anything cool but here ya go. 

10C98DAE-7F5C-45A8-B87E-F36EDAF330D3.png

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BuddyBuddies said:
We found a portion of a time card that identifies the SKU numbers of other unreleased 7800 games. Its interesting because it lends more credibility to the fact they were probably pretty far along. This test department time card was found on the same drive as Toki. Road Riot and Rampart were NOT found on the drive. I don’t post much in the 7800 forums so I don’t know if this is anything cool but here ya go. 

10C98DAE-7F5C-45A8-B87E-F36EDAF330D3.png

Part of a time card is a good find. While Road Riot not being found on the drive, it does prove the game was worked on at some point.

I know an early version of Rampart was found for the 7800 back in the 2000s. It might have been the version the time card referred to, but it is a guess.

Edited by 8th lutz

• 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, Giles N said:

And what happened/happens to its availability?

It will still happen, we are old farts living in a pandemic (among countless people without fully functioning brains), and I for one am working the rest of the life out of my body on PS5/XSX at the moment.  Half the time I post something, is because I am compiling.  LOL

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, CPUWIZ said:

It will still happen, we are old farts living in a pandemic (among countless people without fully functioning brains), and I for one am working the rest of the life out of my body on PS5/XSX at the moment.  Half the time I post something, is because I am compiling.  LOL

Working on PS5 - wow! Impressed!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...