IGNORED

Toki Prototype For 7800 Discovered!

Willard

• 2 weeks later...

The magazine clear out has thrown up the 'Spectrum Games That Time Forgot' feature in Retro Gamer Magazine, cue OCEAN's Toki, which was planned for the 128K Spectrum and Amstrad GX4000:

Primary platform was the Amstrad GX4000, so game had to fit within a specific cartridge size, this proved to be impossible, given the high-resolution sprites Ocean wanted.The father+Son team managed to finish the 1st level, but there was no room left on the cart.for the other levels, OCEAN refused to allow a larger cartridge on cost grounds...
So that's the GX4000 version put to bed.Sounds very Atari-like of Ocean there wanting high res, but not wanting to pay for big enough cart to hold the graphics data.
The Spectrum screens you see here/from UK Mags at the time? Utter FAKES. Dave Looker (coder) admitted they were simply mock-ups, nothing more....
He has said though, that ZX Spectrum version was nearly finished , said to be 'turning out ok, but did'nt bear comparison with the GX4000 version.Ocean decided not to release

So, basically 'those' ZX Spectrum 128K Toki screens cannot really be used in a comparison between 8 Bit versions of Toki any more than those Edge Jaguar Supplement Screens of Tomb Raider can be used in any comparison or the (original) ZZap64 review screens of C64 Operation Thunderbolt etc etc as they are all utter FAKES.

It is one of my faves as well. I hate that the Genesis version is soooo slow. That version needs a hack. The Lynx and NES are my go to's, but I can't wait to play the 7800 version!

Genesis version does not resenble the Lynx / NES / Arcade versions at all. NES is nice, but the backgrounds lack detail due to the limited color pallets and completely disappears during the boss fights. Lynx sprites have like half the resolution of the normal game. I think the 7800 version has the potential to be the best if it can be converted for NTSC.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm of the viewpoint that i'm just 'chuffed to buggery' that, like Andrew H.detailing fact there was a version of Paperboy written for the 7800, people are kind enough to come forward and share the information on Lost 7800 Games, like Toki, after so many years, to hear and in this case see, what could have been (in terms of a commercial release), is just fantastic.

I'll never get to play it, but just having seen what i have so far, the whole mystery surrounding it, why it was being developed so late, what happened to it, etc etc, i find superb.

• Like 2

I'm of the viewpoint that i'm just 'chuffed to buggery' that, like Andrew H.detailing fact there was a version of Paperboy written for the 7800, people are kind enough to come forward and share the information on Lost 7800 Games, like Toki, after so many years, to hear and in this case see, what could have been (in terms of a commercial release), is just fantastic.

I'll never get to play it, but just having seen what i have so far, the whole mystery surrounding it, why it was being developed so late, what happened to it, etc etc, i find superb.

Indeed fascinating! I too am unlikely to own another 7800 but it would be awesome to have the chance to play it at something like Midwest Gaming Classic sometime in the future :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I noticed in the Plutos and Sirius thread, the NTSC protos were restructured for NTSC and PAL dual compatability. I assume similar work will be done on the PAL Toki prototype? I can't wait to play this, either as a cart or on the Concerto.

Rest up CPU and thanks in advance for my Sirius and Plutos carts, and also +1 for future Toki release... :thumbsup:

Edited by stardust4ever
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Man, 7800 Toki in a playable, near-finished state. Amazing stuff, Willard & co. -- taking a chance on old Atari workstations clearly pays off when priceless stuff like this gets rescued from obscurity and oblivion. Marc Oberhäuser's mock-up box looks amazing, too. Big kudos to everyone involved for gathering all this info and piecing together a plausible story for why this game exists, this thread's a great read.

The game looks awesome, to boot. ...although am I alone in thinking that the Toki sprite itself is a little oddly drawn? Haha, the face... smudgy eyes, blocky nose, square jaw. I don't know. Kind of a weird adaptation of the original graphics from the arcade. It's been bugging me, so I decided I'd whip up a quick edit this morning to just generally clean things up a smidge.

post-27565-0-78598800-1430416407.png

• Like 6