IGNORED

xegs keyboard to 1200xl?

rockdoc2010

I am interested in mounting a xegs low profile keyboard into a 1200xl. I am wondering if this is possible? I am constructing a case mod on the 1200xl in order to construct a 1200xl laptop. I F1,F2,F3,F4 keys in the mod.. I am just wondering about the keyboard handling chips

Douglas

That's llike putting a Toyota engine into a Mercedes, ie WTF would you want to?

Keyboard handling is done by Pokey which is internal to all machines but there's 2 multiplexor ICs which are internal to every machine except XEGS.

I suspect your biggest problems will be that for starters the outline won't match so you'll possibly have gaps and might have to remove plastic elsewhere, and that the keyboard ribbon will be different in pin assignment and mightn't even physically plug in.

Another option I'd suggest although might be as troublesome is to get another XL keyboard. There are several types around, some with stepped rows and some have straight rows which would probably be even lower profile than an XE one.

I'm sure you have your reasons, but like Rybags said, "WHY"? The 1200XL Mitsumi keyboard is arguably the best keyboard of the 8-bit era. If you have one that no longer works, it can be fixed easily. It's definitely worth your investment of time to fix if that's your reason for replacing. Sounds interesting though!

ok well my "laptop" project will most likely be based on the 1200xl MB. I am building a mb by scratch and i plan on removing the cart and power supply areas to attain enough room for a catholic church and mexican bordello.. yes the will fit!

I have to kill two 1200xl cases in order to build my 13.3" monitor assy and i apoligize in advance to those who lost an ebay auction..

i will go thru my photos to explain in time

i was totally stoked to get a perfectly working 600xl with a PCB keyboard..

this thing will never break!

i want the low prowfile keyboard.. this will obviously be a hybrid

Douglas

The only way I can get through life is to pretend I didn't read that. :D

I'm with you on the FJC

rockdoc2010, I have three 1200xl with broken keyboards (I'm talking busted keycaps and plungers not traces)... What are you going to do with the keyboards out of those donor machines?

Don't wreck a 1200XL just for the case - I have top and bottom cases available separately, as parts, not from a complete system.

Bob

ok well my "laptop" project will most likely be based on the 1200xl MB. I am building a mb by scratch and i plan on removing the cart and power supply areas to attain enough room for a catholic church and mexican bordello.. yes the will fit!

I have to kill two 1200xl cases in order to build my 13.3" monitor assy and i apoligize in advance to those who lost an ebay auction..

i will go thru my photos to explain in time

i was totally stoked to get a perfectly working 600xl with a PCB keyboard..

this thing will never break!

i want the low prowfile keyboard.. this will obviously be a hybrid

Douglas

• Like 1

Why not try it with a 65XE board? It's a bit smaller than the 1200XL's MoBo, uses the same type of low-profile keyboard that the XEGS uses and no having to hack it up to make the keyboard work. Those boards are still plentiful. B&C has the keyboard for $40 (new) and the motherboards for $75 (also new) in their ebay store.

Or you can get a new 65XE from Best Electronics for $115 and cannibalize the parts from it.

I know that's extra money out of pocket, but there would be less adapting of hardware and you wouldn't have to hack up a couple of 1200XLs to do it.

Why not try it with a 65XE board? It's a bit smaller than the 1200XL's MoBo, uses the same type of low-profile keyboard that the XEGS uses and no having to hack it up to make the keyboard work. Those boards are still plentiful. B&C has the keyboard for $40 (new) and the motherboards for $75 (also new) in their ebay store.

Get the Mitsumi version with the springs, though.

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 1

That's llike putting a Toyota engine into a Mercedes, ie WTF would you want to?

Keyboard handling is done by Pokey which is internal to all machines but there's 2 multiplexor ICs which are internal to every machine except XEGS.

I suspect your biggest problems will be that for starters the outline won't match so you'll possibly have gaps and might have to remove plastic elsewhere, and that the keyboard ribbon will be different in pin assignment and mightn't even physically plug in.

Another option I'd suggest although might be as troublesome is to get another XL keyboard. There are several types around, some with stepped rows and some have straight rows which would probably be even lower profile than an XE one.

The 1200XL also doesn't have the 4051 multiplexors on the mainboard, it has them built into the keyboard while on the XEGS they are on an adapter inside the keyboard housing.