IGNORED

Speaker for TRS-80?

BassGuitari

The Model 1 is very limited in sound since it only had the cassette tape output to work with. That's said, some games had some nice effects for the time, at least I enjoyed :)

If memory served, Radio Shack offed an amplified speaker to use for sound back then. Today I'd go with a cheap powered speaker and use an 1/8" coupler to join them.

A quirk of the tape recorder I have (CTR-80) is that if you put it in record mode it will send the audio to the earphone jack also, but not the speaker, so you could plug in a mono earphone and listen that way. Oh i remember those stupid white earplug style ear phones, they just don't make them like that now :grin: Of course that mean the record is sitting there running for nothing. But I guess it didn't hurt it, it's still work today.

I won't mind having one of those myself.. But since Radio Shack is long gone from Canada it's way too late here. Wish I could remember what I use back in the d ay, was something I jury rigged together...

• 1 month later...

Back in the day I gutted that RS amp and installed the PCB inside my Model III with its own speaker, power supply and on/off switch on the back. Just one of many experiments I did with it as a kid. For a home computer that technically had no sound, it pretty much blew away every other computer and game console at the time when it came to sound and clear speech. Big Five Software really knew how to get the most out of that line of computers.

This year I decided to bring that computer back to life (owned it since 1981) and did away with the RS amp...always had a buzz and no way to adjust the volume.

Most modern amplified speakers have no volume control but I found a nice one on eBay for $10 bucks. Volume works well with the line-in and it also has a FM tuner and MP3 player.

Then there's the killer Orchestra 90 that goes to a set of PC speaker with sub-woofer.

speaker.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

No, it wasn't any of those .... it was more like this one, but blue plastic with a black (vinyl) coat & strap. :)

I never understood why so may cheap radios came with faux leather cases

Back in the day, a lot of guys had this Realistic speaker plugged into their TRS-80's.

My local Radio Shack still has one of these sitting on a shelf... covered in dust.

• Like 1

How did you make a transistor radio work with a Model I? Did the I make so much RF noise that it would bleed through on a certain frequency?

Yes. You can just stick an AM radio next to a Model I and hear the audio.

In fact, back in the day, I had to turn it off whenever the family wanted to watch channel 12 on the TV.

Same with my Model III. I wasn't allowed to use it when my parents wanted to watch TV. I heard the Model I was far worse and I remember a magazine article which explained on how to build a Faraday cage for it.

Your name sounds familiar...were you on RGVC many years ago?