IGNORED

Atari VCS 2600 Retro Memory Game

apemaster

New batch of games is produced and ready to ship! All pre-orders have been shipped and should arrive the next few days.

Since there's another memory-match game out now, here's a list of specs about the differences of the two games, so no one gets confused, also about the very different cost for the two games:

Retrory has 80 cards - Memory match has 32 cards

Retrory cards are 2 mm thick (= tokens / game board material) - Memory match cards are 300gsm (= playing cards)

Retrory cards are 60 mm x 60 mm size - Memory match cards are 63 x 45 mm size

Retrory has pixel images of the games, 2 different images per game (= 40 games) - Memory match has box art images, 2 identical per game (= 16 games)

Retrory comes with a 12 page full color instruction booklet - Memory match doesn't have a booklet

Retrory has a different set of rules for play and variations for play (not a standard memory type game) - Memory match is a standard "match 2 identical images" game

Retrory comes in a big VCS2600 style game box - Memory match has no box (yet).

Retrory weights more than 500g - Memory match weights 30g per game.

Retrory costs $45 including shipping - Memory match costs $10 plus shipping.

= Basically: Retrory is full-sized heavy boardgame - Memory match is a small cardgame.

I understand your point. But I didn't use any personal-opinion expressions here, it's all facts only. Even the term "full-sized heavy boardgame" vs "small cardgame" is 100% correct, since 300gsm is cardstock and 2 mm is token-stock (weights around 1000gsm), and 66 x 45 mm is small cards, compared to normal sized cards (poker 63 x 88 or european standard 59 x 92). A game that consists of playing-cards only is called a cardgame while a game that consists of tokens and/or gameboard + other stuff is called a boardgame. At least in Germany, country of boardgames.

BTW, I just calculated a "light" version of Retrory:

It consists of the 80 cards in the same 60 mm size, on cardstock, still complete with a 12-page full-color instruction booklet, just smaller, to fit in the smaller box, still with the same design. Basically what I would call a travel-version. I can offer that for 15 Euros, including international shipping.

Anyone who wants this cost-saving edition, just paypal me (yoda@yodaprint.de) 15 Euros and include your shipping address.

I'm really interested how many people will favour the big version vs the light version.

So here's the official comparison of Retrory vs. Retrory "light":

Both games have 80 cards with the same images, the same rules, and you can play the same game-variations.

The difference is the card-material and box + instruction booklet size.

Retrory has 2 mm thick cards, a 19 x 14 x 4 cm sized VCS2600 style box and a 18 x 13 cm instruction booklet.

The light-version has normal playing-cards, a 12,5 x 10 x 2 cm sized VCS2600 style mini-box and a 11 x 9 cm instruction booklet.

Retrory is 40 Euros including worldwide shipping.

Retrory light is 15 Euros including worldwide shipping.

To order, paypal to yoda@yodaprint.de and don't forget your address.

Here's a picture showing both versions for easier comparison:

post-41220-0-74053800-1426614961_thumb.png

Retrory wins. Reason for me? Pixel art. Well done.

So you don't care whether or not it's actually any fun to play? Because it doesn't sound very fun to play. Any card game that requires flipping through the manual as a normal part of gameplay, has a fundamental design problem. At the very least it should have used a Trivial Pursuit style format with the "answer" printed on the back of each card. But it could have been so much more, integrating the actual function of the objects into the game, similar to something like

Yeah yeah, I know, to most people this will just be something to buy, try playing maybe once, then put up on a bookshelf to show off next to their Atari shot glasses.

So you don't care whether or not it's actually any fun to play? Because it doesn't sound very fun to play. Any card game that requires flipping through the manual as a normal part of gameplay, has a fundamental design problem. At the very least it should have used a Trivial Pursuit style format with the "answer" printed on the back of each card. But it could have been so much more, integrating the actual function of the objects into the game, similar to something like

Yeah yeah, I know, to most people this will just be something to buy, try playing maybe once, then put up on a bookshelf to show off next to their Atari shot glasses.

I guess they care if it's fun to play. Because it is. They just like in-game-pixelart more than box-images. I'm designing games since more than 30 years, and board games since more than 10 years. I know how to make a game fun to play. Give it a try, and you will see.

You're right, a game that requires flipping through the manual as a normal part of gameplay has a design problem. This game doesn't require that. The manual is there, like in any good game, to be read first and understood, maybe taken during the first game, and then not needed anymore.

A memory-type game can not have "answers" printed on the back of the cards, because it wouldn't be playable anymore. Maybe you misunderstood the object of the game. It's NOT to name the game-titles. It's to find matching pairs of two images that belong to the same game. If you know 2600 games, you will have a lot of fun playing it.

You're right, a game that requires flipping through the manual as a normal part of gameplay has a design problem. This game doesn't require that. The manual is there, like in any good game, to be read first and understood, maybe taken during the first game, and then not needed anymore.

Umm. It's a memory game. Like most memory games, what makes it a game is humans not having perfect memory. But to never need to refer to the manual, at least one person playing will need to have perfectly memorized it, essentially mastering the game. Correct?

The Retrory set is super cool. I would be interesting to see the same comparison of sets written by the other guy... :ponder: :D

The Other Guy:

The comparison is OK with me. My version is just a simple Match type game with an Atari flavor. I wanted it to be that way so my Grand-kids (8,5) could play it along with me. I am planning to have an Arcade game version to sell at Florida Freeplay in November and made myself a few decks with Atari boxes as a sample to see what could be done. It is cool that Retrory is similar but very different, I could not play it with my Family without helping them a lot to identify what the sprites are, I even have to think about a few of them.

I went with the mini-cards because to me Match is a card game and the smaller size allows you room to place all the cards without taking up a large area on the table or floor. The kids are playing the game now and it sure is strange to hear them talking about Atari games. They have tablets so they really have little interest in the Atari games outside of a few like Go Fish.

By the way, apemaster does great work and I can't recommend his services enough to everyone.

• Like 1