IGNORED

Doctor Who Berzerk w/ speech samples

iesposta

>>Newest version in this thread, Post 1: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/234209-doctor-who-berzerk-wspeech/?p=3160867

Continuing the line of making original games different/better, here is a playable WIP Berzerk Doctor Who hack, with speech samples. No speech hardware required.
med_gallery_29575_1164_100131.jpg

med_gallery_29575_1164_74977.jpg

Thread cross posted in Atari 2600 Programming Forum.

Bezerk16kHack20150130b.asm.bin

• Like 4

Wow this game just blew me away. Looks great and the voice sample is too cool. This has been taking up much of my time and I can't wait to play all night Friday!

Great game thanks!

And thanks for commenting!

The newest version is here:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/234209-doctor-who-berzerk-wspeech/?p=3160867

I need to find more things for it to say

• 1 month later...

New milestone version you may want to check out.

See post #1 for thread link.

Faster player!

Choose enemy shots off, on normal, or diagonal!

Starting AtariVox support. Turn on/off with Difficulty Player 2 switch. Says 1 of 2 things every fire press.

Suggest phrases to say when events occur, like when Cyberman appears, player dies, etc.

Developers submit your speech strings, and try to make a British accent.

Other under-the-hood changes, like speech samples don't roll TV or lose sync, No Black Lines on left!!

Where is the point where the hack becomes its own new game?

Where is the point where the hack becomes its own new game?

First and foremost, great hack...Really appreciate it and the work that went into modifying its looks.

If possible, the sound effects, shots especially and the sound when advancing/changing boards, remind me most of Berzerk and modifying them somewhat - even slightly, in pitch, would assist making it stand out even further.

The playfield...While not needing necessarily a change in the border/playfield area layout, if "thinning" out the thickness of the borders or their overall look - perhaps making it blank line/filled/blank line/filled - in that pattern or something similar, may also assist in it standing out from "just" a hack.

Don't get me wrong, it's a very well done job. Nonetheless, 1. Sound modification, followed by (and not nearly as crucial) 2. The look of screen/playfield modifications, would really assist taking this from feeling like a hack, to its own standalone title.

Awesome job, regardless; thank you for sharing it!

Great suggestions, Trebor!

I tried different shout sounds, but didn't like any. However, the sound for extra man is changed. Shot sound is something I can work on,

The Playfield mazes will always be 40 quad-size pixels wide. Alternating on, off, with background vertically may be possible, but remember this is a 2LK or two line kernel, where the thinnest horizontal line must be 2 scan lines. So the vertical lines will always be thick, but the horizontal lines can vary from 2, 4, 6, etc. lines.

Signs point to having more than just 4 maze configurations, and there is always the option to change maze colors in fixed, random, or some type of level progression.

If you play with robot shots off for a while, it seems to get harder and harder and the enemy colors change up to a point, but then it starts back at the easy beginning with yellow no fire, then red firing slow...

• Like 1