IGNORED

It's official: We now have more homebrew CV games than commercial releases

Pixelboy

I thought this warranted a post of its own. I know NIAD has put great effort into his CV rarity list, but his list tends to include absolutely everything (which is good, no problem there) and my personal definition of an "official homebrew release" differs slightly. Some of the games listed below may not belong there, or some games may be missing that shouldn't, for various reasons which are debatable, but the point is that we've now reached almost 150 distinct homebrew ColecoVision games, and with the games released this year by Team Pixelboy, CollectorVision and other parties, we'll definately go well over the 150 games mark.

1 421

2 A.E. - Anti-Environment Encounter

3 Amazing Snake

4 Armageddon

5 Astro Invader

6 Astrododge

7 Bank Panic

8 Bankruptcy Builder

9 Battle of Hoth

10 Bejeweled

11 Black Onyx, The

12 Bomb'n Blast

13 Boxxle

14 Buck Rogers Super Game

15 Bugs'n Bots

16 Burn Rubber

17 Buster Bros / Pang

18 BUSTin-Out - Volume #1

19 BUSTin-Out - Volume #2

20 BUSTin-Out - Volume #3

21 Canadian Mini Games 1

22 CAT S.O.S. Game, The

23 Chack'n Pop

24 Chess Challenger

25 Circus Charlie

26 Cix

27 Cocoleco

28 ColecoVision Game Pack #1

29 ColecoVision Game Pack #2

30 Comic Bakery

31 Comic Bakery (homebrew prototype)

32 Computer Space

33 Cosmo Fighter 2

34 Cosmo Fighter 3

35 CVDRUM - Drum Machine

36 Cye - CGE 2K7 Limited Edition

37 DacMan

38 Deflektor Kollection

39 Destructor - Standard Controller Edition

40 Dragon's Lair

41 Dungeon & Trolls

42 Earth Defend 2083

43 Electric Adventures' Classics

44 Elevator Action

45 Exerion (homebrew prototype)

46 Fireman

47 Flapee Byrd

48 Flora and the Ghost Mirror

49 Front Line - Standard Controller Edition

50 Galaga

51 Galaga (homebrew prototype)

52 Gamester81 - The Video Game

53 Ghost 'n Zombies - A Quest for a Rose

54 Ghostblaster

55 Girl's Garden

56 Golgo 13

57 Goonies, The

58 Gulkave

59 HeliFire

60 Insane Pickin' Sticks VIII

61 Jeepers Creepers

62 Jet Pack

63 Jewel Panic

64 Joust

65 Kevtris

66 King's Valley

67 Kobashi

68 Konami's Ping-Pong

69 Lock'n Chase

70 Lode Runner (SG-1000 port, heavily modified for CollectorVision)

71 Lode Runner (SG-1000 port)

72 Lord of the Dungeon

73 Magical Tree

74 Mario Bros

75 Maze Maniac

76 Mecha 8

77 Memotech MTX Series - Games Collection Vol. 1

78 Memotech MTX Series - Games Collection Vol. 2

79 MindWalls

80 Module Man

81 Monster Masher - GamesConsoles.com Version

82 Monster Masher - Good Deal Games Version

83 Moon Patrol

84 Mopiranger

85 Mr Chin

86 Ms. Space Fury

87 Nibbli - Son of Nibbler

88 Ninja Princess

89 Ozma Wars

90 Pac-Man Collection

91 Peek-a-boo

92 Penguin Land

93 Pippols

94 Pitfall II Arcade

95 Pong

96 Pooyan

97 Power Lords

98 Princess Quest

99 Purple Dinosaur Massacre (demo)

100 Puzzli

101 Pyramid Warp / Battleship Clapton II

102 Quest for the Golden Chalice

103 Reversi (+ Diamond Dash)

104 Road Fighter

105 RollerBall

106 Schlange CV - GamesConsoles.com Version

107 Schlange CV - Good Deal Games Version

108 Search for the Stolen Crown Jewels - GamesConsoles.com Version

109 Search for the Stolen Crown Jewels - Good Deal Games Version

110 Search for the Stolen Crown Jewels 2 - GamesConsoles.com Version

111 Search for the Stolen Crown Jewels 2 - Good Deal Games Version

112 Search for the Stolen Crown Jewels 3

113 Shunting Puzzle

114 Side Trak

115 Sky Jaguar

116 Slither - Standard Controller Edition

117 Smurf Challenge

118 Space Invaders Collection

119 Space Invasion

120 Spectar

121 Spunky's Super Car!

122 Squares!

123 Star Force

124 Star Fortress

125 Starcom

126 SteamRoller

127 Strip Poker

128 Subroc Super Game

129 Super Action Soccer

130 Super Mine-Field

131 Tank Challenge

132 Telebunny

133 Terra Attack

134 Thexder

135 Tic Tac Toe

136 Track & Field

137 Track & Field 2 (homebrew prototype)

138 Turbo - Standard Controller Edition

139 TwinBee

140 Victory - Standard Controller Edition

141 Void - Centuri Conflict, The

142 WAR

143 Way of the Exploding Foot, The

144 Wonder Boy

145 Yie Ar Kung-Fu

146 Zaxxon Super Game

147 Zippy Race

148 Zombie Near

Pretty cool, if I do say so myself, and I'm proud to be a part of that. :)

• Like 19

Let the debate begin! I'll have to take a thorough look at it to see if anything is missing or included when it shouldn't because I know you're not at all meticulous and/or anal like me about anything that you do. :lol:

Nice job putting it together and it truly is amazing to see the number of Homebrew releases that have been made over the years AND that there really aren't too many LEMONS in that lengthy list... if at all.

Whoops! Found a couple of issues and it's a dilemna I have faced with my Collector's List and even organizing my collection for display. The issue is that releases like CAT SOS, Fireman, PowerLords, etc. were developed in the 80's, although never commercially released, so should they be included in a list like this? If they are, then all the other prototypes from the 80's that have had a Homebrew release made such as Pac-Man, Dig Dug (releases made by CGE and AtariAge) and numerous others, should be included as well.

Lists like this will always get nitpicked due to the "grey areas" involved and the discussion that insues tends to be just as interesting.

• Like 1

Let the debate begin! I'll have to take a thorough look at it to see if anything is missing or included when it shouldn't because I know you're not at all meticulous and/or anal like me about anything that you do. :lol:

Hee hee! He said "anal". Hee hee! :P

Nice job putting it together and it truly is amazing to see the number of Homebrew releases that have been made over the years AND that there really aren't too many LEMONS in that lengthy list... if at all.

Yeah, but there are a lot of ports from other machines in that list, and most of these are of games that people really wanted to see ported. That tends to push the quality measure up in a list like this.

Whoops! Found a couple of issues and it's a dilemna I have faced with my Collector's List and even organizing my collection for display. The issue is that releases like CAT SOS, Fireman, PowerLords, etc. were developed in the 80's, although never commercially released, so should they be included in a list like this? If they are, then all the other prototypes from the 80's that have had a Homebrew release made such as Pac-Man, Dig Dug (releases made by CGE and AtariAge) and numerous others, should be included as well.

Lists like this will always get nitpicked due to the "grey areas" involved and the discussion that insues tends to be just as interesting.

Yeah, but I didn't post the list for nitpicking reasons, I just wanted to demonstrate that we've gone past the number of "official" commercial releases, which by my estimate is about 140. Even if we remove or add games in the list (including games that will be released in 2015) we'll still be over the 140 commercial games mark.

• Like 2

did i miss boxxle release

Oops! Boxxle, Jewel Panic and Front Line SCE are included because it's a sure thing that they will be released this year. There are other upcoming Team Pixelboy releases I would have liked to include in the list as well, but those are for a future announcement... ;)

I'm glad I've made my small effort to contribute 3 games to that list :)

And I pretend to write yet another game, just that myself I'm surprised of how busy I've been.

Also I'm surprised by how many games can develop in one year other programmers :o (greetings!)

Hee hee! He said "anal". Hee hee! :P

:lol:

You have contributed so much to the Colecovision community, that you're now in the annals of Colecovision history.

(I hope to have used enough 'n' letters, hehe :P)

On going availability is usually difficult as most games are produced in a set run and once they are gone they might gone FOREVER!!!!!!!

Oh well. Some are available just contact the producer and see if they have any still. There are also some available right here at the Atariage store. I just bought one last week (Spectar) .

I'm glad to have contributed one game to the above list as well. And 1 more to come.

Impressive! Now, I'm just curious: 1) How many homebrews are readily available NOW? 2) how long will it be before there are more games for the Colecovision than for the NES?

Thanks for taking this one.

Don't know if these make sense to add?

Lord of the Dungeon CGE release and Colectorvision release

Was steam roller released twice, once at cge and then re-released years later?

2 versions of CAT SOS, maybe that's being picky?

MTX 1 was released by the dev and colectorvision

Edited by evg2000

Lord of the Dungeon CGE release and Colectorvision release

I think the CGE and CollectorVision releases use different electronics inside the carts, but they are the same game.

Was steam roller released twice, once at cge and then re-released years later?

Yes.

2 versions of CAT SOS, maybe that's being picky?

True... :)

MTX 1 was released by the dev and colectorvision

It was? That's news to me... But it's the same software anyhow, right?

Impressive! Now, I'm just curious: 1) How many homebrews are readily available NOW? 2) how long will it be before there are more games for the Colecovision than for the NES?

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/206287-colecovision-homebrew-availability-list/

Thanks to the efforts of Nanochess and I think it is pretty current. As someone else mentioned, for games that are SOLD OUT, it won't hurt to send the Homebrewer a PM or email to ask about the availability whether it's CIB or Loose.

• Like 3

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/206287-colecovision-homebrew-availability-list/

Thanks to the efforts of Nanochess and I think it is pretty current. As someone else mentioned, for games that are SOLD OUT, it won't hurt to send the Homebrewer a PM or email to ask about the availability whether it's CIB or Loose.

Yeah, if anyone's looking for certain Team Pixelboy games in particular, perhaps I can be of service. I currently have a few copies of TwinBee left in stock, and I can make some new copies of a few of my older games because I ordered a few too many cartridge PCBs last December. :)

i dont know mutch about making and selling game but i know you cant print one box you need to order a minimum and its too mutch after the initial release for most if the game

can you print the cart lable in a very small quanteties???

cause pcb and shell are for sure not a lost of money if you sell cart only for people who only want to play and dont really collect those homebrew and maybe that can give publisher a better $$$ return on the total of the production cost.... with the new 5-11 pcb you can burn the game when the pcb is fully assembly... so its easy to make one cart at the time when some one want it.... just a tought....

i dont know mutch about making and selling game but i know you cant print one box you need to order a minimum and its too mutch after the initial release for most if the game

can you print the cart lable in a very small quanteties???

cause pcb and shell are for sure not a lost of money if you sell cart only for people who only want to play and dont really collect those homebrew and maybe that can give publisher a better $$$ return on the total of the production cost.... with the new 5-11 pcb you can burn the game when the pcb is fully assembly... so its easy to make one cart at the time when some one want it.... just a tought....

For boxes and labels, it depends on the method. Typically the box has a minimum run, and I'm guessing for most (for me, anyway), that the label can be printed in low quantities.

For the PCB, the game is still programmed before assembly, using the 2nd connector... still easy enough to make one at a time.

I thought I got in on the SOS game early, but maybe I'm forgetting.... but what are the two versions?

There were, I think, 10 gold cartridge made for the people who help get the prototype version. There's the box release version, if I remember, should be the black cartridge version.

• Like 3