IGNORED

Apple III Game - Mr. Sandman - Co Written by Woz

Caterpiggle

• 8 months later...

Hello Paul, if you are online at this moment,

I brought Apple Cursor /// joystick with 2 buttons. No black switch, just both orange buttons. I tried to testing on Mr. Sandman. Guess what, really weird behavior ! Right & left is working perfect as it should be BUT up & down is reverse ! It acts up as "down" and down as "up" direction.! What going on ?? I did pressed "M" key on Mr. Sandman and still NO change, nothing.

Anyone can confirmed that Apple /// with black switch will ONLY works in reverse correct. Up as "up" and down as "down" in black switch version instead of both 2 orange buttons ??? Oh man .,...I just can't believe what my Cursor /// can do to me !

• 4 years later...
On 3/21/2015 at 9:05 AM, Paul Hagstrom said:

I've used the Cursor /// joystick to play Atomic Defense (though this is just a video of the game, I think you can see the handle of the joystick very briefly when I pick it up):

Mine looks basically just like those eBay photos above. They are quite hard to find though. The one I have I have because Mike tipped me off to an eBay auction he saw before I did, in fact. (Thanks, Mike!)

The connection is not the same as the Apple II joystick connection, but it seems like it would be quite useful to figure out how to adapt or modify an Apple II joystick to work in the Apple ///, given the rarity of these things. It may well have already been figured out, I haven't really looked into it, but perhaps now I will. Worst case, I can open mine up and see how it's wired inside, presumably these are not particularly complicated devices.

post-38909-0-46275800-1426953766_thumb.jpg

post-38909-0-58352000-1426953781_thumb.jpg

Is that an Apple III color display that works with color video port? If so what are those called?

Also anyone confirm a working Apple II to Apple III joystick converter?

2 hours ago, zezba9000 said:

Is that an Apple III color display that works with color video port? If so what are those called?

Also anyone confirm a working Apple II to Apple III joystick converter?

Yes, that's an AppleColor Monitor 100. It's pretty specific to the Apple /// (or an Apple II with the RGB video card for it). There were a couple of other monitors that worked with the XRGB port on the Apple ///, one an Electrohome, and one a Hantarex. You can get a color composite signal out of a couple of pins in that port with an appropriate cable (e.g., one from retrofloppy.com) too, it doesn't look too bad.

I don't think an Apple II to Apple /// joystick converter is entirely trivial, but in any event I don't know of any. There were some cards you could get (I think the Titan cards had a joystick port, and I've seen at least one card specifically for plugging an Apple II joystick into), but nothing that's easy to lay one's hands on now.

• Like 1

Ok thanks I was wondering if anyone had actually even made a color video cable for Apple ///.

I can't find Apple /// joysticks anywhere. I guess I'll have to try to make a converter at some point. Without a real Apple /// controller to test against though its hard to know if its right.

• 2 weeks later...