IGNORED

Super Breakout VS Circus Atari

Army Of 2600

I'd go with Super Breakout. I guess there may be more strategy in Circus Atari, in choosing whether or not to flip the teeter-totter, but in my experience I just keep bouncing clowns up and less than half the time they actually bounce high enough to pop a balloon.

And Super Breakout is just that, the original classic but SUPER!

• Like 1

My daughter says Super Breakout is the better game. I think Circus Atari is superior. What do you guys think? Help me set my daughter straight.

I think your daughter doesn't need to be set straight. She's a fan of a superb Atari 2600 game. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Instead of bickering which paddle game is better, my suggestion would be to play two player co-op "GI Joe Cobra Strike" with her. Go beat that black cobra together.

Yeah I like playing Circus Atari on the "Breakthru" variation where your guy can jam left/right across the balloons. :lol: The other variation ("breakout") is pretty much as it's named where it's just like breakout and the dude it simply rebounds back all the time.

• Like 1

Maybe he's got a bad TIA! :lol:

Only if every 2600 I've ever played has a bad TIA. I just don't like the tones produced. Just something annoying about them. Never liked them back in the olden days, and don't like them now.

I'm not musically knowledgeable enough to deconstruct the sound and qualify what it is I don't like though. I agree it's a bit odd.

Edited by BigO

Only if every 2600 I've ever played has a bad TIA. I just don't like the tones produced. Just something annoying about them. Never liked them back in the olden days, and don't like them now.

I'm not musically knowledgeable enough to deconstruct the sound and qualify what it is I don't like though. I agree it's a bit odd.

I find the 2600 produces some fairly clear audio, but maybe you're just ultra sensitive to odd order harmonics?

"The best-known form of distortion is harmonic distortion, where the output of an audio signal contains additional components that occur at the natural harmonics of the input. When a device clips, the waveform is generally flattened. Analog devices tend to gently flatten the waveform and produce what we think of as saturation. When a digital device clips, it does so by chopping off the tops of the waveforms abruptly. If this flattening is symmetrical, it produces odd-order harmonic distortion at the third and fifth harmonics".

• Like 1