Sign in to follow this  
mizapf

TI console as keyboard

Following the reports on Stuart's web browser, people again suggested to use an old TI console and put a Raspberry PI inside. As I already said, at least MESS won't really run well on a Raspi, at least with its current performance, but faster models seem to come soon.

I got another idea that should be perfectly feasible: What about using the TI console as a USB keyboard?

• Remove everything inside except for the keyboard
  • Attach the keyboard lines to the digital inputs of a microcontroller; I suppose an Arduino should be enough, don't need a full Raspi
  • You would then connect the TI console to the USB port of the PC, where it shows up as a keyboard

Does anyone know more about how to make an Arduino pretend to be a USB device, particularly a keyboard?

Following the reports on Stuart's web browser, people again suggested to use an old TI console and put a Raspberry PI inside. As I already said, at least MESS won't really run well on a Raspi, at least with its current performance, but faster models seem to come soon.

The Raspberry Pi 2 was released just yesterday. Now with a quad core CPU and twice the RAM. Wonder if this will improve matters?

I just recently tried to compile and run MESS on my Raspberry Pi (1), but I'm still stuck with a segfault from the audio system. It took 93368 seconds (!) to compile - my PC does the same in about 500 secs.

I've seen cross-compilation instructions somewhere online. Maybe that would improve compile-times? Let's face it, the Pi isn't supposed to be in competition with a full-fledged PC (though Microsoft are supposedly offering Windows 10 for free on the Pi).

Sure, this was also intended to learn more about the capabilities. I see people talking about the Raspberry Pi as if it could replace their desktop PC, but it is really far, far behind. If I succeed in getting the current MESS to run on the Raspi, I'll do a benchmark to see how fast it goes. At this point I can already see the intro screen (system description), but when you press a key to enter the TI emulation, it bails out. However, this is already a first impression on the speed - you have to type "OK" at the beginning, and you need to hold down O and K for at least one second.

I think the problem is with the X server. I should try to build the SDL lib without X so that it runs directly on the framebuffer.

----

Concerning my above idea, I just found that the Arduino Micro has 20 I/O pins which would be enough to connect the TI keyboard and the Joystick port. Could be possible ...

Here's a completely different way of doing it, which won't require opening the TI at all.

It requires a little piece of hardware to plug into the side of the console, with a bit of code running at >4000 to hijack the console as soon as you turn it on. Once the code residing in the external hardware takes over, it will just run a keyscan routine and output the keystrokes via USB.

It's more complicated, but doesn't require opening the console, and it was a method used by the Triton TurboXT bridge box to get the TI to act as a PC keyboard, back in the day.

Edited by briantw

Well, I already ordered an Arduino Micro, and I still have my old TI console, so I guess I'll just try and see how far I can get :) . The Arduino may be powered by the USB interface, so I would not even need a separate power supply. Also, I don't have to make sure the console is still in working condition (has not seen power for 25 years ...)

OK, that was easier than expected... :-)

http://www.mizapf.de/ti99/tikeyboard.mp4

(35 MiB)

This is the Arduino sketch:

int column = 0;
int value[] = { 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0 };
int inputpin[] = { A0, A1, A2, A3, A4, A5, 11, 12 };
char key[] = {
                'p',  '0',  'a',  ';',  '/',  '1',  'q',  'z',
                0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0xC1, 0x00, 0x00,
                'y',  '6',  'g',  'h',  'n',  '5',  't',  'b',
                0xB0, 0x00, 0x81,  ' ',  '=', 0x82, 0x80, 0x00,
                'O',  '9',  's',  'l',  '.',  '2',  'w',  'x',
                'i',  '8',  'd',  'k',  ',',  '3',  'e',  'c',
                'u',  '7',  'f',  'j',  'm',  '4',  'r',  'v'
             };

void setup() {
  /* Problem: We need open collector outputs. This can be achieved
     by switching to input mode. */
  for (int i=0; i < 7; i++) {
     pinMode(i, INPUT_PULLUP);
     digitalWrite(i, HIGH);
  }

for (int j=0; j < 8; j++) {
     pinMode(inputpin[j], INPUT_PULLUP);
     digitalWrite(inputpin[j], HIGH);   /* Activate pullup. */
  }

// Kill switch
  pinMode(10, INPUT_PULLUP);
  digitalWrite(10, HIGH);
  column = 0;

if (digitalRead(10)==LOW) {
    Keyboard.begin();
  }
}

void loop() {
   /* The "kill switch" is a recommendation for all sketches for Arduino emulating
      a keyboard, because when there is a bug you can at least stop it from messing
      with our input. */

if (digitalRead(10)==LOW) {
     for (int i=0; i < 7; i++) {
        if (i==column) {
           /* Pull down line */
           pinMode(i, OUTPUT);
           digitalWrite(i, LOW);
        }
        else {
           /* Pull up line, but do not output +5V -> open collector */
           pinMode(i, INPUT_PULLUP);
           digitalWrite(i, HIGH);
        }
     }

int newvalue = 0;
    int oldvalue = value[column];

for (int j=0; j < 8; j++) {
       newvalue <<= 1;
       if (digitalRead(inputpin[j]) == HIGH) {
          if ((oldvalue & 0x80) != 0x00) {
             /* Sends the break code */
             Keyboard.release(key[column*8 + j]);
          }
       }
       else {
           newvalue |= 1;
           if ((oldvalue & 0x80) == 0x00) {
             /* Sends the make code */
             Keyboard.press(key[column*8 + j]);
           }
       }
       oldvalue <<= 1;
    }
     value[column] = newvalue;

column++;
     if (column>=7) column = 0;
     /* Have a little break */
     delay(1);
   }
   else {
      /* Input disabled */
      delay(1000);
   }
}

Here's a completely different way of doing it, which won't require opening the TI at all.

It requires a little piece of hardware to plug into the side of the console, with a bit of code running at >4000 to hijack the console as soon as you turn it on. Once the code residing in the external hardware takes over, it will just run a keyscan routine and output the keystrokes via USB.

It's more complicated, but doesn't require opening the console, and it was a method used by the Triton TurboXT bridge box to get the TI to act as a PC keyboard, back in the day.

heck i have a TurboXT box ;)

I did a PS/2 one years ago, but I cheated and used a KeyWarrior (which was also fairly expensive at $50, but at least less than the one above). Cool that you got a modern interface going! (And released it!)

There's a similar design using a Teensy controller here, but I like your Arduino solution much better!  It's something I've been wanting to do for over a year now ... maybe I can get some friends to set something up for Arduino Day.