IGNORED

Sport Games hacks

Gernot

After i recognized that i made a slight error with my first version of "World Cup Soccer" (i forgot to edit the time for the second half),

i fixed this and edited a coulple of sport games in the same manner.

Soccer(s) are now 2x15 min,

Hockey(s) 3X10 min,

Basketball(s) 4x8 min

Football(s) 4x8min

the sport games have now a approx. total duaration of 30mins (1 Intellivision minute ~= 1/2 minute)

the zipfile contains the original files and the hacked files in .bin and .rom format,

two new Soccer icons, rom2bin.exe, bin2rom.exe and a tiny hexeditor.

Sportgameshack.zip

post-41280-0-42976100-1422992681_thumb.png

Edited by Gernot
  • Like 2

Thanks for doing this! I could never play a whole sports game as it seemed to take too long and the score wasn't even close to a normal final score. I know that Super NFL Football for the ECS is the first Intellivision sports title to allow you to change the time of each period/quarter. That said, these hacks will come in handy for my use in emulation. Any chance of taking Slap Shot Super Pro Hockey and putting the curved corners back in? ;) Just a thought!

• 3 weeks later...

Intelli-hick-hack

Any chance of taking Slap Shot Super Pro Hockey and putting the curved corners back in?

i guess that exceeds my capabilities ;)

nstead of reducing the number of minutes on the clock, would you be able to speed up the clock so that it runs faster, maybe by a factor of 2? Or can you let the user input the number of minutes for the game or period?

dunno if speeding up is possible, couls bw there will be somewhere a multiplikator (the question is where), user input? this goes to far,

in general i can only hack variables such as duration, the problem is also to find the data, certain data like for the playing time is quite obvious .

the clock in many sport games is already almost double

Next is to customize the player colors!

that's a good idea and "sounds" like it would be possible but hard to find.

i assume the color indexed from 0x01 to 0x0F (16 colors), it could be difficult to find a single value.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

aproposito "clock"

a does anybnody know if a PAL Intellivision runs slightly slower as a NTSC?

o noticed a difference from the emulators to the real machine, as comparison i took "Skiing" (almost seconds in this game)

to sync the game in i.e. MESS i would have to reduce the emulation speed to 83% to synchronize the clocks.

skiing is extremely hard with slope 15 on a emulator compared to my console

but the problem is that anything else runs even at 83% speed (sound, ivoice)

this has let me conclude that the speed is a division of the grid frequency?

this would at least explain a possible difference.

50 / 60 = 0.83333333

Edited by Gernot

I'm surprised the emulators don't have the capability to control the game speed. I thought most emulators do.

jzIntv does. Try the "-r" or "--ratecontrol" parameter. Given a number, it will speed up emulation by that factor. For instance, "-r2" will run twice as fast, and "-r3" will run thrice as fast.

Intelli-hick-hack

i guess that exceeds my capabilities ;)

dunno if speeding up is possible, couls bw there will be somewhere a multiplikator (the question is where), user input? this goes to far,

in general i can only hack variables such as duration, the problem is also to find the data, certain data like for the playing time is quite obvious .

the clock in many sport games is already almost double

that's a good idea and "sounds" like it would be possible but hard to find.

i assume the color indexed from 0x01 to 0x0F (16 colors), it could be difficult to find a single value.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

aproposito "clock"

a does anybnody know if a PAL Intellivision runs slightly slower as a NTSC?

o noticed a difference from the emulators to the real machine, as comparison i took "Skiing" (almost seconds in this game)

to sync the game in i.e. MESS i would have to reduce the emulation speed to 83% to synchronize the clocks.

skiing is extremely hard with slope 15 on a emulator compared to my console

but the problem is that anything else runs even at 83% speed (sound, ivoice)

this has let me conclude that the speed is a division of the grid frequency?

this would at least explain a possible difference.

50 / 60 = 0.83333333

The processors in the PAL and NTSC run at slightly different speeds, with PAL being a bit faster in order to synchronize the STIC output signal with the TV. You are right that by consequence most games made predominantly for NTSC regions will appear to run slightly slower on PAL consoles.

The game speed may not be too noticeable or distracting, but what is distracting is that the sounds and music are also lowered in pitch, causing music particularly to sound off-key. This is due to the sound chip (PSG) frequency counters being controlled by the CPU clock as well.

This applies to most games, even home-brews, though there are some that compensate for the speed difference by making the game program run at 50Hz on both consoles.

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay

• 1 year later...

In the zipped file in the first post there is Soccer2 and Super Soccer ROMs.

Are these complete games that were never released? Or were they incomplete that someone completed? Or just hacks from someone of NASL Soccer?

Does anyone have a list of changes between the original NASL Soccer, Soccer 2, and Super Soccer?

I've never played NASL Soccer, so I am curious how these three are different.

For opening them in jzintv, the title screen for Soccer2 only says Soccer on it. And Soccer2 and Super Soccer appears to be basically the same game.

Also mthompson has previously made some boxes for these games, except for Soccer2 and Super Soccer, so I created some.

post-43396-0-74495500-1486964939_thumb.jpg

post-43396-0-39156800-1486964968_thumb.jpg

post-43396-0-29549500-1486964979_thumb.jpg

post-43396-0-04034800-1486964989_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

They are versions of World Cup Soccer, likely preliminary versions. One has sideline board advertising like Ford, Heinz57, and I think Hawaiian Punch. Intellivisionlives describes how someone at Mattel had the idea that they could sell this advertising in their games. http://www.intellivisionlives.com/bluesky/games/credits/intv0.shtml#wc_soccer

• 1 year later...

phew still it makes me nervous "should i - should i haven't"

they are named to me "super soccer" (proper name)

simply "soccer" distributed by intellivision.us as soccer2 (the one with the advertises)

at least that's how i list, name and handle them.

some changes i made this february, but i'm still n ot sure if it's good to make them public.

intentionally, and i have this ready made at home, i woul liked to post only a clean advice how to hack them because this is (almost) legal.

It's a violation of applicable laws if i make the hacked binaries public.

but ok let's say in the frame of this closed circle it shouldn't be a problem, i don't think the FBI will visit me in ulisbach (if they know at all where ulisbach is).

not even a junction, a couple of buildings near to a junction (is that to find on google maps? yes)

since i forgot this piece of work (the hack table) at home i will post my new hacks but will upload it to my dropbox to envolve no one else as me.

and i don't fear a shit, you can't strip a naked man, and in any prison i will have a TV which i can't afford free as i am.

I've made some minor changes to the sport game hacks.

mainly i altered the title screen name string to differ them proper from the original and to give a idea what it is.

instead to link them here i will link them now and in future in the thread for "hacks" here on atariage.

further i changed the soccer games from 2x15min to 22+23min which equals exactly to "all of the action in half of the time" (no fear i've updated the boxart as well).

also i changed "Hoop!" erm i mean "Hoopla Hoop" argh sorry "Slam Dunk" to 4x6min which is even closer to half as 4x8min, probably it's to short, tell me what you think about,

i'm no basketball player, or i have to start to be one.

NBA Basketball has even been shortened to this duration.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/276684-intellivision-sportgames-all-of-the-action-in-half-of-the-time/?do=findComment&comment=3986904

a few words to the different

Soccer Soccer Soccer Soccer Soccer Soccer Soccer Soccer Soccer Soccer Soccer Soccer

"Soccer2" (i would really name it just Soccer or Soccer for one and two players, or maybe Super NASL Soccer which is i guess the proper Name of the unreleased and only for demonstration purposes made "Soccer2".

Soccer 2 is ment for 1 and 2 players, my favorite version because of the advertises, that's unique amongst the Intellivision games.

"Super Soccer" this game seems also to be a unreleased prototype, it has a "horrible" bug (well a bug at least).

The game is ment to be enhanced by the ECS, it would be possible to be played for 4 players simultaneousely.

It can be run without the ECS attached, but it crashes if you start it without ECS when you use the right controller to start it, using the left controller is fine.

"World Cup Soccer" respectively "World Cup Football" is the finally released version and is bugfree, it also can be played for up to 4 with the ECS controller pair.

If i hear now the word Soccer you will be..... in the nose ;) i got a headake from all these soccer.

no i like the game much, even if i score like hell, 20 : 0 isn't uncommon and here ends the fun.

what i would like is a faster soccer, not faster clock speed, a faster AI.

you can screw up the ratio (i recommend 1.5 times, faster won't do it good), but still the AI is fast the same as you and has no chance if you "play with yourself"

means lay a straight high shot in front of you and run backwards out of the screen so you can catch your own pass when you enter the screen from front, do this two or three times and score over the short corner (but preferably from the bottom side where you have a lot more open space), or shoot a high shot before you can see the goal centered to the goal (match the distance though your high shot lands exactly behind or in front of the dull goalie), the goalie is chanceless in both situations.

Penalty shootout, if it's your turn to shoot, the duration you press the disc equals to the hardness the ball will be kicked, the direction is of course the direction.

shoot in the low corner of the goal by pressing the disc not to long else your shot will end up easy to high (either left or right, ENE for right WNW for left corner), the goalie will be chanceless.

Penalty shootout your'e the keeper - argh help i'm a shitty goalie, try it, it's hard to hold any pill, usually my goalie jumps a second after the ball went in the goal, he's somewhat a lame goalie. looks very funny if a goalie jumps for joy (instead for the ball).

Have a Coke in the pause.

How many games will have a unlicensed Coca-Cola advert?

Not even i put that name in Pioneer, i have "Cool-Cola" but not Coca-Cola.

But i love it, it adds this special bit of realism to soccer2.

Unfortunately the players enter the field from top but will leave it downwards like in NASL Soccer.

No "attract mode" in the title screen of Soccer2.

Unlike NASL Soccer all three later Soccer games play overtime not until the first player scored, the whole overtime has to be played no matter who scored how many goals, if it's still a tie a penalty shootout starts.

I would say NASL soccer has liga rules, "Super Soccer(s)" has cup rules.

To start the overtime play after a tie you have to press keypad "3" for all Soccer games.

"Super Soccer(s)" allow you to ask for a pass if you haven't the ball (press lower left action button for this), the teammate who has the ball will pass it to you.

Edited by Gernot

"ultras"

post-41280-0-40788900-1521250436_thumb.jpg

wattwil but we go for the FCZ "fussballclub zürich", does have wattwil a fc? i think so but they are nowhere in the liga.

FCZ was relegated team but is back again soon as #1, if not it will be a hard time for the other hools.

have pun,

i'm not to see me i took the picture and only one of us is really a hool, but he has to keep his fists in the pocket because he's registered as violent soccer hooligan.

he's more then just ok and we are best buddies, even if he knocked out my foreteeth once, i was drunk and running wild, nothing stopped me, he hittet me several times in the chest but i was just laughing. well the final hit stopped me, but honestly i can't remember anything else as that he hittet my chest several times anything else is darkness until i found myself on way back home and i wondered where i lost my foreteeth.

Edited by Gernot

more "soccer"

some additional info:

I decided to shorten Soccer games to 22 + 23 mins (7 min. overtime).
Basketball to 4 x 6 mins (3 min. overtime).
Maybe the Basketball quarters are quite short in half of the time now.
Even the Football games seems to me short with 4x8min

NAMING (and content)

The title screen name string has (can) been modified to identify the
hacked games when you run them
(without to disassemble i can't edit the length of the string).

NASL SOCCER = "SOCA45" instead of "SOCCER"
SOCCER2 = "SOCB45" instead of "SOCCER"
SUPER SOCCER = "SUPER SOCA45" instead of "SUPER SOCCER"
WORLD CUP FOOTBALL = "WORLD CUP SOCCER45" instead of "WORLD CUP FOOTBALL"
NBA BASKETBALL = "BASKETBL24" instead of "BASKETBALL"
NHL HOCKEY = "HOKY30" instead of "HOCKEY"
NFL FOOTBALL = "FOOTBL32" instead of "FOOTBALL"
SLAM DUNK = "HOOP!" instead of "HOOP!" ;)
The name in the title screen IS "HOOP!", it seems to be the working title (?),
this name will also show up briefly when you reset the game using "sears".
As soon as you hack the game jzIntzv will show "HOOP!" in the title bar,
because it's a "unknown dump" and it simply reads the title screen string.
I edited even the title in the visible title screen to
"HOOP! 4X6 MIN. BASKETBALL" because i like this name.
SLAP SHOT! = "SLAP SHOT!" instead of "Super Pro HOCKEY"
Further i changed the title on the scoreboard from "Super Pro Hockey"
to "3x10 Min. Hockey".
SUPER PRO FOOTBALL = "SF" instead of "xx".
SUPER NFL FOOTBALL = "MATTEL HACK" instead of "1983 MATTEL"
There is no title string in this game except the copyright "1983 MATTEL",
thus i altered simply this string to seperate the files.

SUPER SOCCER

Using the right controller to start the game will terminate the program.
This is a bug of the original game (or dump?).
You can evade this error by starting the game with the ECS attached,
because this game is designed for a maximum of four players.

WORLD CUP SOCCER (WORLD CUP FOOTBALL)

This game runs properly without the ECS attached while it even supports
up to four players.

The two games "SUPER SOCCER" and "WORLD CUP SOCCER" look and feel similar,
but the data is completely different though there will be obviousely more
differences between them as one can "feel", or that it's just a "bugfix".
Personally i can't tell any differences between all soccer games when i
play them, neither one is harder to play i guess.

Nonetheless i prefere the unreleased "SOCCER 2", might be just because of
the adverts.

suggestions welcome, especially for the duration of basketball and football.

link to the hacked games (thread in atariage "hacks"):

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/276684-intellivision-sportgames-all-of-the-action-in-half-of-the-time/?do=findComment&comment=3992391

besides to speed them up using -r (for jzintv) really isn't the same (apart from that this won't work for the inty).

whenever i play a speeded up soccer (-r1.5) i feel it's even easier to play for me.

you can experience this as well with the possibility to start them with 3,2,1 instead of the disc, as stickier the players will behave as less you will score.

of course the competing AI player is slow or fast the same, but my personal experience is that it gets easier when played faster.

one could call it the hockey effect, you force to get them fast but the soccer players stick and that's not funny.

specialities:

instructions for "SOCCER2" and "SUPER SOCCER"

the most interesting thing to note is the possibility to request a pass from a team mate, it is of course stated in the instructions for "World Cup Soccer", while the other two possibilities you should have depending on the instructions seem not to be useful or won't work.

you certainly can't press a top action key when you have no ball, you will stumble.

but to ask for a pass using the lower left action key works perfect and is a good thing to know, i even score more now.

EDIT: ok i see now "use by pressing simultaneously on the wheel", but i still can't recommend this, you will miss and to stumble with your active player is shit.

while what use have i if the ball is played in direction i mentioned, i will have to follow the shot (or counter it from the other side).

i like to play "alone" the rest of the players is anyway to stupid to play and continously try to steal the ball from you or lurk around on the field and didn't even act if you shoot at their head. they can take the ball from you dribble to an optimal shot position and...

miss a hole wide as .... ok that doesn't belongs here.

Soccer.pdf

Super Soccer.pdf

for comparison the original world cup soccer manual:

World Cup Soccer.pdf

Edited by Gernot

if I was able to do it by myself, I would use this very beautiful and classic image for the Super Soccer or Soccer 2 mock-up boxes

post-41160-0-57889300-1521855016.gif

imo, it's quite a lot Intellivision style, isn't it? And it has been used for years in the front cover of the Panini football player, ...ehm... soccer player sticker albums.

it's inspired from a famous photo taken on January 15, 1950 (!!!)

post-41160-0-05611100-1521859203.jpg

• Like 1

inspired isn't the right term, but yes it's a great picture.

and yes it has the intellitouch.

sticker albums... they do still exist no? but i guess you buy now stickers without a chewing gum am i right?

i had one in 1974, but couldn't complete it (i guess this will be still the same).

even if i liked chewing gums! (without teeth it isn't fun to chew).

i had also a T portraying (young, very young) beckenbauer.... back in '74 of course.

lato%2Bbeckenbauer%2B1974.jpg

vast amount of soccer images in this blog

http://soccernostalgia.blogspot.ch/2017/05/new-addition-iconic-photographs-of-game.html

ha! dot ch

lift off

pele%2Bbrazil%2Bmiroir.jpg

Edited by Gernot
  • Like 1

That's when a new sport was born - Handball

I think it's a good thing to seperate Football from Football.

To be honest, i had to be 14 at least to know soccer exists as term for football.

I still have no idea how to play football, it's to me a strange game which in my opinion leaks of continuity, 5yards fore 8yards back and the game always stops between, but i guess it's ideal for TV or radio commercials, always time enough for a short spot.

Who "invented" Football, a radio station? A belly shop dealer? A cheer leader community?

Sorry.

Cheer leaders, hmmm.... one could think thats a bunch of girls waving with fluffy (how are they called?), but i met a cheer leader once, they cheer for a local hockey club SCRJ Lakers.

Really i couldn't imagine it's such a hard job but they perform acrobatics and that's a quite challenging sport itself.

Hockey yeah that's a sport to watch, fast with steady action.

some ranting about commercial tv:

At least it's still better to watch Football as Tennis i guess, nonetheless it seems to be quite popular (i can't see Rogers face no more, i always get an urge to... take that banana out of his mouth).

But ok, i watched Golf for a certain time with my buddy (but he watched everything, he wasn't allowed to watch tv as child, a religion thing).

I still remeber well when we watched together Wrestling, once it was covered by one actor what is going on so he stood up to see what goes on behind.

Satellite TV was new to us in 1982 (it was broadcasted via cable in our canton), we watched for the first time wrestling or dragster races, while i preferred the dragsters, still.

And i guess i posted already that we argued often because he liked to watch tv and liked to play a game or/and listen music. TV wasn't very special to me, i was allowed to watch whenever i liked as far there was something broadcasted at all, in old europe tv broadcasts started afternoon in the '70s, until satellite tv, that changed everything it finally changed even the minds.

If you would have asked a swiss (austria, german) if he would watch tv with breaks for commercials every ten minutes he would have said "are you nuts!".

Today it's vice versa and many like to cancel the national toll-tv, just because you have to pay a fee if you watch or not.

But i still don't watch commercial tv (i can't watch tv at all on my old tv, neither i would if i could), it annoys me still and neither i like to see peanut butter adverts when news get read, even if i like peanut butter much (i start to get hungry right now).

Who else as a toll-tv would broadcast a school tv else? and we clearly can see the effect of this right now even in switzerland, ppl start to get stupid (pardon me).

It's much more important for them to see mr. and ms. platin brace as to watch a well made selective documentation.

Thats the effect of colmmercial tv from one generation to the other.

Besides, (ok my clips neither get watched by many ppl) i disabled adverts for my YT clips, i say i don't like so i have to be consequent and i hate to see that if a material doesn't belongs 100% to me, YT clamps commercials on them, i chose "no adverts" and i mean by this "no adverts" (dammit).

This is all so annoying to me, you maybe watch a documentation about climatic changes and they spoil it with ads about the newest car being oh such environment friendly. The environment friendliest and safest car is to have no car, i'm neither a friend of private traffic, it's a so called freedom which clearly prune the freedom of others, and this in a drastical way if we look at the count of injured children. Can one tolerate this, if he thinks about this? My daddy said such even often, but nonetheless he drove 500m to his workplace with his car, i understand that to him it was still something special. But i don't need to show my social status on cost of lives, that's not very clever fom my pov. Apart from the fact that i'm still a skinny guy while he had to fight his weight. The shitty 500m would have made the difference, i know and he knew it as well. But i know carbon-hydrate is evil and foremost sugar - what a shit, my brain is addicted to sugar and if it gets no sugar it can't function well. See me in the Lab? Left of the post? That was 1983 and when i got tired and lost conciousness i took a spoon full of glucose and a tid bit of ascorbin, it's good to work in a chemical lab ;) alone.