IGNORED

Atari 8-bit Software Preservation Initiative

Farb

How do you deal with copy protection?

It's read in with everything else in the flux streams. In the case of the Atari 8 bits to make 'end user' images with protection intact a separate program called a8rawconv is used to process the streams and attempt to keep the protection intact inside the VAPI .atx format. For Atari ST a similar process using a program called Aufit converts streams into the Pasti .stx format.

What software/hardware are you using?

It's usually a Kryoflux or SuperCard Pro with PC 5.25" mechanisms, some modified for flip side reading.

When you "rip" a copy protected disk, can you dump it back on a new disk and still have the copy protection intact?

Complicated question, simple answer - in some cases yes.

Do you also preserve the manuals and copy protection devices?

Yes :)

https://www.scribd.com/user/5846146/remow

• Like 2

Ardy_the_Aardvark__Datamost is not running, please check...

Your Ardy the Aardvark matches a working dump we have (see attached) except your track 20 has problems. Two things are interesting here:

1. Your dump does not match a known, working dump we have of Ardy from a Datamost disk.

2. Your disk has a Datamost label but the title screen has a pink text color (as opposed to red) that we've until now assumed was only on the Main Street Publishing release. This disk is almost identical to the Main Street Publishing release. You can see example screenshots of the two releases here:

http://a8preservation.com/#/software/title/1576

So either our assumption is wrong about the title screen color variants or someone overwrote your original at some point with a non copy-protected version.

Ardy the Aardvark (1986)(Main Street Publishing)(US).zip

Edited by Farb
  • Like 5

And again...

Ardy_the_Aardvark__Datamost is not running, please check...

The high score sector is damaged, otherwise it is ok. Almost sure it was damaged when attempting to write the high score on a drive that writing wasn't working correctly.

Farb: Not sure if you've seen my occasional reaching out to try and find underground apps for the atari from back in the day - wardialers, long distance code scanners, etc.. But with you seeming to be an archiver I'm curious if you've come across things like this and maybe aren't "preserving" them for some reason or another or if they are just as rare in modern times as they seem to be for me...?

C64/Amiga and Apple 2 all have HUGE archives of this sort of software and I personally used lots of it on the Atari back in the 80's.. It boggles my mind that collections of underground software were NOT preserved it seems..

Your input would be welcome...

And soon as I hoped in an earlier post, its hard separating the wheat from the chaff with all the versions of games going up for checking, needed to have a new lump so the others can be removed...

Not trying to hurry the guys up, just trying to suggest some clarity..

Hi Ben, Tail of the Beta lyre image missing...Just for info

Paul...

To the team, keep up the adding source Video display for disks ie (US) or (UK) possibly (EU) for non English disks that are PAL, more important now with the artifacting on both video standards (ignored Secam for no reason really) actually matters..

Just some dumps are coming through with no clear notification (yeah I know they are for testing and not the end product)

Paul...

Thank you...

Edited by Mclaneinc

Hi Ben, only as a SCP image, no atx in there...Have no idea of the command line to use with Averys tool..

Ignore, learnt what the command line was and made it myself...Edit: but it crashes for me...Most likely not knowing enough about the main program..

Cheers..

Edited by Mclaneinc

I'm looking into getting one also (kryo). Does anybody could recommend me a good, compatible, 5.25" floppy drive to go with it?

I already have a spare PSU to power it. A compatible 3.5" would be nice also for future use.

Edited by AMenard

Hi Ben, only as a SCP image, no atx in there...Have no idea of the command line to use with Averys tool..

Ignore, learnt what the command line was and made it myself...Edit: but it crashes for me...Most likely not knowing enough about the main program..

Cheers..

Same findings.

I guess that the conversion of The_Tail_of_Beta_Lyrae__Databyte.scp image file went wrong at some where in the conversion process of the original disk.

The summery obtained from the conversion at the CMD (Command Prompt) window using a8rawconv.exe is identical to that in the The_Tail_of_Beta_Lyrae__Databyte.txt file found in the zip file.

i.e : 330 missing sectors, 49 phantom sectors, 17 sectors with errors.

madi

Edited by Madi
  • Like 1