IGNORED

Atari 8-bit Software Preservation Initiative

Farb

What do you mean when you say these were "rescued"? Was this the result of multiple dump attempts or hand-tweaking things using other dumps?

If you’d have seen the state they were in, you would understand. They were full of silt and grit from water damage and took a good clean before I could get a image, even then they were like sandpaper. A few we didn’t have were not so lucky.

All as is, no tweaking.

Edited by Zarxx
  • Like 4

Finally got some time to hit another small stack of disks I've had sitting here for ages. Some were really rough (Alligator Mix in particular was super-scratchy and sluffing oxide, unfortunately). I tried a few ATX conversions just to be sure I had the drive set up right, but didn't go through all so I can't vouch for overall quality.

Do we want more images of ANTIC disks? (there were a few more I didn't run this time)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k0gpayt5ygwygkx/Atari%20Disk%20Images%2C%20Clay%20Cowgill%2C%20batch%207.zip?dl=0

• Like 3

3. What is the format of the host data record? This is present in early ATX files (such as Hellcat Ace on Atarimania).

It was used for helping in remote debugging the old VAPI imaging tool that run against a Happy. The main issue was that some people had problems with the serial port running at ultra speed. It contains some information about the computer that was running the imaging tool, such as the exact version of Windows. It was supposed to be a temporary record. It probably shouldn't have been present in the distributed version of the file images.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi together,

Maybe it is useful, to get a quick overview, what is, as of July 2018, already in the archive so far? More than 1,600 titles are in now. Have made for this purpose a text file of the complete titles:

Atari_8bit_Preserved_Software_2018-07-26.txt

So, if something you have is missing in the file, please let us know, so we can go for the 100 %.

Big sorry, that is an old disease of mine, I have already abandon all hope to meet the cure... ;-)

Before contacting, please be so kind and take a look for the title in the search field:

http://a8preservation.com/#/software?page=1

there is a chance, that it is meanwhile in the archive, so no need for double work then. :-)

But double work is indeed necessary, if the [!] is missing. Only titles with [!] are verified. Therefore, you can help us very much even for verifying! With that technique, I could found out, I had a fake original disk of the Atari Word Processor CX404! The checksums of the atx images speak a clear language here.

Thank you soooo much for your support in the name of the community.

Edited by luckybuck
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I've said it before and I'll say it again right now--many, many thanks for doing this! I cannot overstate how vital the work is. I have been mourning the loss of my giant collection of A8 disks for the last fifteen years... They were destroyed by damp and mould while stored supposedly safe in my grandmother's house. I must have had well over a thousand games. However even then they were mostly all cracked copies in multi-menus, the collected output from a Portsmouth-area cracking group in the 1980's. I believe it was mainly comprised of employees from IBM Havant and so nod-and-a-wink official they had their own Atari representative at the meetings! However, the wealth of software offered here goes so massively beyond that it cannot be properly appreciated! Once more--many many thanks!!!

Is there a trick to getting hold of the latest torrent release? I have found one that went back to 2015 and am currently downloading--and intend to seed whenever I have bittorrent operating--the magnet which Kyle very kindly offered above. This is marked 21st of June, 2018. Is there a newer one?

Edited by morelenmir

@morelenmir: Well, you can help, of course, please download the attached text file, > 1,600 titles and check, whether you have titles not listed there... If you have a hit, please contact Farb here. Quite easy, isn't it?

@The Doctor: Sorry, Atari 8bit Preserved Software 2018-07-26 is the latest, was distrubuted at the Fujiama meeting and is 770 MB in size.

=> @morelenmir: If I send you the 770 MB, can you create, according to your posting, a torrent of that for the others?

Atari 8bit Preserved Software 2018-07-26.txt

?? okay...

that is the text file list.... not the torrent of that latest that was distributed...

of course it would take me about 10 minutes to grab the whole thing and put it up...

depending on how fast the http or ftp server can feed me

Edited by _The Doctor__

ding ding ding come and get it!

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:444dce42792857c0a69f554f24700279e7266171&dn=Atari%208bit%20Preserved%20Software%202018-07-26.zip

ding ding ding come and get it!

only took 7 seconds... :)

I'm told it's working w00t

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

Earlier this year I had sent my entire floppy collection to The Software Preservation Society (SPS) to preserve: 160 IBM PC, 30 Apple II, and 28 Atari 400/800 titles (+10 tapes). They preserved them with Kryoflux. A great guy from SPS spent a fair amount of time lovingly preserving all of them!

The attachment lists the Atari disk tiles from my collection (all tapes are Avalon Hill titles). Most are already included in your preservation efforts, but the versions could be different. The zip that includes the .raw stream files and .atr/.atx files is 484MB. The zip with the .WAV files is a whopping 1.88GB! I'd be happy to upload here if there is an ftp or something similar that will allow large file transfers.

I'm not much of a techie, Kryoflux seems to do an OK job with digitalizing Atari software. There were a few where the Kryoflux .atr output was unreadable by emulator (I use Altirra), but the .raw stream was perfect. I was able to convert the stream to .atr/.atx with the a8rawconv tool. In some cases I was unable to get a readable .atr (I was told due to copy protection) so only have a working .atx I converted from the .raw stream. There were 7 additional Atari titles where Kryoflux's .atr output was bad and my efforts to convert the .raw stream myselft to .atr/atx where unsuccessful. All seven are SSI and Avalon Hill titles. Maybe someone more technical than I could take a look at the .raw files and have better luck?

The 10 tapes were output as .wav stream and I converted them to .cas using the a8cas tool. All are working perfectly in Altirra (except 1 that I can't get converted..possibly a bad .wav?).

------------------

I have a request. Between my own collection, yours, and AtariMania's great effort I have a complete and clean SSI collection of Atari images, minus two titles:

Rebel Charge at Chickamauga - There are old .atr images available all over the net, but they are all bad. Game boots fine and runs until combat and then crashes.

Queen of Hearts - All images I've been able to locate on the net all boot fine, but the right flipper won't function.

Both could be emulator issues, but I've tried the images on at least 3 different emulators with the same result. Anyone have certified clean preserved images of these titles?

miki

• Like 3

All original. Attached Eternal Dagger. Kryoflux's .atr output won't boot and a8rawconv's .atr nor .atx conversion will either. Again, I'm no techie. The Kryoflux stream could be bad, the disks were bad, wrong Kryoflux parameters used when dumping, disk copy protection could be involved, or I'm not doing something right with a8rawconv??? All questions for those more technical savy than me!

You're welcome to all of my streams if you think you can use them.

post-66060-0-99599800-1537674398_thumb.jpg

post-66060-0-73633600-1537674419_thumb.jpg

atari.txt

atari_eternal_dagger_d1_ssi_87.zip

atari_eternal_dagger_d2_ssi_87.zip

• Like 6

All original. Attached Eternal Dagger. Kryoflux's .atr output won't boot and a8rawconv's .atr nor .atx conversion will either. Again, I'm no techie. The Kryoflux stream could be bad, the disks were bad, wrong Kryoflux parameters used when dumping, disk copy protection could be involved, or I'm not doing something right with a8rawconv??? All questions for those more technical savy than me!

You're welcome to all of my streams if you think you can use them.

The problem sector is a weak one on the original. For unknown reasons a8rawconv sees this but does not act correct.

The ATX only contains a bad-CRC sector.

Writing ATX file: atari_eternal_dagger_d1_ssi_87.atx

WARNING: Track 2, sector 5: 5 different sectors found at the same position

0.20 but different bad data. Keeping the most popular one.

0 missing sectors, 0 phantom sectors, 1 sector with errors

But yours is the same version as the one in the current torrent.

Rebel Charge at Chickamauga - There are old .atr images available all over the net, but they are all bad. Game boots fine and runs until combat and then crashes.

Can you post all images here or better compare them first against my MD5s?

Side A 4756191bfe764599690d373fd8c977b7

Side B 6dfaddfd905fbfae0225b82c02723c1a

I have only found one dump as an ATR and it appears to have used the same weak-sector 41 protection as Eternal Dagger and many more SSI titles.

Unfortunately I cannot find the code which checks the protection. It seems to have been removed wrongly.

If we can find an ATR which contains this code then we can recreate a working ATX and most probably a working cracked ATR.

Earlier this year I had sent my entire floppy collection to The Software Preservation Society (SPS) to preserve: 160 IBM PC, 30 Apple II, and 28 Atari 400/800 titles (+10 tapes). They preserved them with Kryoflux. A great guy from SPS spent a fair amount of time lovingly preserving all of them!

The attachment lists the Atari disk tiles from my collection (all tapes are Avalon Hill titles). Most are already included in your preservation efforts, but the versions could be different. The zip that includes the .raw stream files and .atr/.atx files is 484MB. The zip with the .WAV files is a whopping 1.88GB! I'd be happy to upload here if there is an ftp or something similar that will allow large file transfers.

Please post the raw zip file temporarily on any file host cloud service. You can use Mega, Google Drive, OneDrive, DropBox or whatever you prefer. Nowadays 484MB is not too much, any of those services give you more than that capacity for free. If for some reason you have trouble with that, let us know and we can arrange for upload for some account.