IGNORED

Atari 8-bit Software Preservation Initiative

Farb

A big thanks to Fred_M, Mr. Bacardi, Zarxx, mikic and everyone else that contributed dumps (or help organizing and verifying) for this release.

Alright, torrent day! Thanks Farb and everyone involved; one of the greatest Atari archiving projects ever.

I'll be downloaded soon and seeding for a good long while.

anybody can add a tracker if they so desire if it helps you in some way, go ahead. Most clients allow manually adding them. Only 1 peer so far has had any issues, and that's because they are blocked either by their isp, or their very own router. First leech took 13.2 minutes, almost everyone else are well under that. highest speed leeching was 2Mbit/s avg was 380 Kib/s. I see little to no wasted across the range. So with only one leach of 20 so far having an issue, it's all good. If you have a private tracker you wish to add go for it. I added private trackers to one of the previous torrents, it really didn't change anything for anyone at that time. The built in decentralized trackers are all most folks use today...

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

Very disappointing, given how small we are as a community, to see leechers appear and then disappear as soon as they become seeders. Whoever the current lone seeder is, thank you!

I never even got to getting it, it was going to take something like a week at the speed I was getting and just had to say no at the time because the PC is in our bedroom and with the drives etc can be a little noisy so as my wife is feeling rough from the flu I turned the PC off. I'll try the torrent later and if its faster I'll leave it on at various times so it gets seeded, it just won't be for a full 24hrs a day.

Last year’s “ZIP of ZIPs” file size really wasn’t that large. Is a torrent even necessary? I grabbed the Mega download in just a few minutes the other day (despite my utter loathing of anything whatsoever to do with Mega and Kim “Dotcom” ).

• Like 1

Last year’s “ZIP of ZIPs” file size really wasn’t that large. Is a torrent even necessary? I grabbed the Mega download in just a few minutes the other day (despite my utter loathing of anything whatsoever to do with Mega and Kim “Dotcom” ).

I always think of him as some Austin Powers type villain......And there you are feeding his plans to rule the world :)

I missed the Mega link or I would have used it myself...

the direct download site take longer than the torrent depending on your bandwidth... I had to wait for that site to zip it before it would send it. That took forever, the download from the torrent when I test downloaded took a little over 1 second. I had 948 mbits/s which was a little disappointing.. I expected a little over a gig, but overhead eats into things even when bonding the ports..

:-)

I am seeding, too.

Yesterday, I 7zip the archive with the new 7z version for the Mac: 939.4 MB

Less seems not possible.

@Dr.: :-) I wrote to Kim to publish his knowledge about the deep state... We are still waiting... 4/5 of my spare time is going to this, 1/5 to Atari... If he finish his promisses, then I will change to 5/5 Atari... We will see...

• Like 1

anybody currently seeding or leeching? I want to verify # of seeds and # of peers you are seeing. I'm currently feeding only 1 person. which is unusually light traffic for me. patch Tuesday?

I see 13 seeds 33 peers, just fed Canada... they will be a seed - in - 3 2 1 now ;)

perhaps the are scheduled for the night shift :)

Edited by _The Doctor__

anybody currently seeding or leeching? I want to verify # of seeds and # of peers you are seeing. I'm currently feeding only 1 person. which is unusually light traffic for me. patch Tuesday?

Somebody in Canada is currently downloading from me.

[Edit: ...and, finished now.]

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 1

I've still not even started downloading the torrent.....I hope that we keep up the numbers...

I think the fear of Torrent use is the major stumbling block, people have to remember that they are not looking for stuff like the Atari 8 bit, its the current music and films that get the bans and cease and desist letters...There's no issue with that would ever come to something over this sort of stuff, arcade games and new games yes, but this stuff is fine and the worst that could happen is that an ISP might ask you what you are P2P'ing if they can't be bothered to look themselves.

Downloading AND seeding will have no issues....Its not going to get anyone in hot water...Hence the Archive sites with Atari games are still there, the only reason they go down is normally hosting costs..

Relax folk....The FBI are not looking over your shoulder :)

Well not for this :)

PS..Before copyright is mentioned I'd hope that if anyone had an issue with an item in a torrent that they would ask for the torrent to be changed rather than report it as a copyright violation....We value our devs and copyright holders but there's no need for a big scene...

Edited by Mclaneinc

Unexpectedly home today so I went ahead and started seeding. I'll keep it up for at least a couple weeks probably. The entire archive is under 900 megabyes. I had it downloaded in about 2 minutes (and it would've been faster from a monolithic host like Dropbox or something ... just sayin' ...)

Not sure how to interpret these numbers but it sure looks like our niche hobby doesn't generate a lot of traffic (again, why use a torrent for this then? *shrug* )

post-30400-0-81378500-1549459188_thumb.jpg

Assuming best practices like using TorrentZIP, providing a separate DAT file, not doing a "ZIP of ZIPs", etc. we should be able to join new versions of the torrent with them mostly complete, reducing the wasted bandwidth considerably over downloading the whole thing new each time from a DDL site.

This torrent seems to be mostly set up that way, although it doesn't appear to be TorrentZIPped... admittedly that won't be important unless we're using the DATs to fix files with a ROM manager before joining the new torrent.

Edited by dukdukgoos

There are a number of folks who just use the torrent to get the new files and revised files and not touching the others as an update venue.

Assuming best practices like using TorrentZIP, providing a separate DAT file, not doing a "ZIP of ZIPs", etc. we should be able to join new versions of the torrent with them mostly complete, reducing the wasted bandwidth considerably over downloading the whole thing new each time from a DDL site.

This torrent seems to be mostly set up that way, although it doesn't appear to be TorrentZIPped... admittedly that won't be important unless we're using the DATs to fix files with a ROM manager before joining the new torrent.

Correct.

Clients should show a direct connection and (usually a green indicator or icon shows connection) the torrent itself should show a number of seeds and connections and a number of peers and connections. Your trackers, normally 3 or more included, (DHT, PEX, LSD) should normally show nothing at all unless someone is actively feeding you or feeding off of you. It is decentralized and helps keep you from being permanently on the books so to speak.

The zip used is compatible with most zip programs and should be able to unzip properly using the appropriate software on Amigas and ST/TT/Falcons and most other systems. No weirdness as with certain other zip methods.

I've received no complaints this time around, and we have been able to get the preserved software to deep recesses around the planet quickly and error free in a timely fashion even for those with little bandwidth or something that resembles an internet connection. As the torrent grows in size, this approach has helped greatly as the whole world does not seem to have great pipes or even decent internet to this day. I know folks in Colorado who have little to no internet or even cell phone / television choices. Streaming doesn't quite happen for them and voip is spotty at best. The planet is riddled with this sort of thing.

It's all about choosing the delivery method best for you. If you are like me a gig and over, it really doesn't matter. if you are like so many others you use what will get the goods to your door. We are fortunate to have a couple of choices available for all. Pick your poison, the thread has at least three different ways to get the latest preservation installment.

I am even considering putting the preservation up for download via POTS and internet modem offerings :)

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 2

Last year’s “ZIP of ZIPs” file size really wasn’t that large. Is a torrent even necessary?

The archive is being distributed as a torrent because hosted storage and bandwidth are not free -- torrent seemed the easiest way to work around that issue.

• Like 3