IGNORED

Atari 8-bit Software Preservation Initiative

Farb

Thank you Harry, we need all the stuff we can get preserved, every collection has the chance of hiding a rare item so the sooner they get 'digitised' the better but we can only grow in software if people make their collections known...Many of us did this years ago but its always nice to see a new face add theirs.

Thank you

Paul..

Ah, thought it was software as well BUT good images of the boxes etc are always needed to keep the best record of the titles so again thank you..

Edited by Mclaneinc

For others, who want so scan something, I want to post this link to the SPS scanning guidelines. And buy an A3 scanner, it really saves hours of joining pieces of boxes, manuals and posters together!

Additionally, my scanner has a little strip of non-scanning (omitted) area at the edges, so I place the item in the middle of the scanning area. If the item must be hold manually (e.g. if its a scan of the small sides of the box), I put a (dvd-) box beneath it (aligned at the guide edge), so I can hold them together even if the box is very smooth.

And, to avoid shining-through of thin paper in manuals, I place one (or 2 adjacent) black A4 sheets in the manual at the next side.

As info: scanning one item takes approx. 3-4 minutes (preparing the black sheets, preview, scan, rotating picture), thats why I scanned often 2 pages at once.

Edited by Harry1968
  • Like 1

I thank you for all the work you did, Harry1968. I know it takes a lot of time to scan stuff.

Please don't take this the wrong way but for anyone who wants to scan Atari 8-bit stuff might I suggest:

1. Check to see if someone already has scanned the stuff you want to scan first. I've made this mistake before and kicked myself for not checking. Sometimes, though, I will re-scan stuff if the scan is low-res or double page scans.

2. It would be great if you could scan stuff a page at a time and in the direction it was printed in. It just makes it a lot easier to use/read when you want to open it in some kind of picture/document reader.

I scan all my docs as TIFs in PDF files. It makes it easy to use a PDF reader on a computer or even better with a tablet. Then you can chose to view it as one page or two pages at a time. And if you want to extract a page from the pdf and convert to some other format, you can do it easily as well.

Allan

• Like 3

Harry, my deepest respect for your work! I really appreciate very much.

Please don't misunderstand, if I join Allan here. Besides this, it is a good idea to centralize everything, not just the scans. There is still a bunch of work to do so...

Allan and others have scanned so much already, so you may do double work, but we need your excellent work for the big remaining stuff. :-)

If games are concerned, Atarimania and archive.org are best search addresses. For the edu and serious stuff, again archive.org and AtariWiki. Please see the links in my signature.

Beside this, be sure, we will help you in any way possible. Don't hesitate to ask us.

3-4 minutes is a lot for just one page. Modern scanners in a copy shop do the job with best resolution (600 dpi) in less than 10 seconds. I don't know your budget or money you can spend on this, but this would save you a lot of time. Maybe we find a way for crowd founding?

Thank you so much für your work and for sharing. :-)

Edited by luckybuck
  • Like 1

For scanned art I would not recommend Atarimania. They deface a lot of their art with their site logo which is contrary to the idea of archiving and preservation. Its the art equivalent of putting an intro in front of a game. They do have a lot of stuff scanned that no one else has, but defaced like that it's unusable from a historical perspective.

• Like 1

It has been brought to my attention that the latest torrent has a software release that should not be in there as it is still copyrighted software. I ask that everyone stop seeing the torrent and delete any download links until I can release a new version.

Thanks for your help.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

It has been brought to my attention that the latest torrent has a software release that should not be in there as it is still copyrighted software. I ask that everyone stop seeing the torrent and delete any download links until I can release a new version.

Thanks for your help.

Standing by here, @Farb. I've already removed the existing ZIP from my download link.

Thanks for your work!

--Tim

• Like 2

I'd rather not say since it was proactively removed before anyone noticed that might get bent out of shape about it.

I've also put safeguards in place to prevent this situation from happening again in the future.

Edited by Farb

Thanks for your help.

That whole torrent is nothing but copyright software from what I can see, so why is this one package a problem ? Besides, that guy doesn't own the copyright for the software in question, so there really is no reason to do what he says.

• Like 1

That whole torrent is nothing but copyright software from what I can see, so why is this one package a problem ? Besides, that guy doesn't own the copyright for the software in question, so there really is no reason to do what he says.

Guys, I'd ask that we drop this topic. It's not worth discussing and I don't want to comment any further on it. I'd like to continue making our work freely available to the community and want to avoid getting into anything that jeopardizes that.

• Like 7