IGNORED

Atari 8-bit Software Preservation Initiative

Farb

Hi Freddy:

This is Russ Campbell from Kitchener, Ontario, Canada. My friend has come aross an incredible find at her place, it the entire 8 bit library from Kwest, TAF, and GTIA , I have a box of normal 90 K disks from that users group libray, maybe 120 disks, I hear you have a Kyroflux board, and I would like to know where I can get one for my backup purposes, or possibly send them to you for the same thing, preservation. Thanks ....

Those libraries, are they public domain libraries? If so, then the disks are probably not copy protected at all ;-)

Farb: Are you closer to me than toddtmmw? I live in Kitcener, Ontario, Canada....ya I am thinking of getting someone else to do it rather than risk ruining the disks.....I also have a whole pile of original Atari ST disks that I can send for preservation.

Hey Russ, I'm not sure where toddtmw is, but I'm in Canada as well. (Saskatchewan) Farb is in Germany I believe. If they are indeed all non-copy protected, I'd be happy to image them as well and send them back. I would use a real 1050 and copy over SIO2PC. We've exchanged stuff before as you recall.

There are some other forum members here that are in Ontario that might be even closer.

I can't help with the ST disks though.

• Like 2

Farb: Are you closer to me than toddtmmw? I live in Kitcener, Ontario, Canada....ya I am thinking of getting someone else to do it rather than risk ruining the disks.....I also have a whole pile of original Atari ST disks that I can send for preservation.

I'm going to guess Ohio is closer to you than Frankfurt but I'm happy to dump them if you send them my way :-)

I would recommend sending them to someone with a Kryoflux, though. There is a much better chance of getting all the data off the disks even though they are not copy protected.

• Like 1

Update to my dumping of KWEST library disks, I have dumped some 20 disks ok side 0 only , when I get my Atari 1050 disk drive I should be able to flip the disks over I assume ? I will be using a 360 K disk drive instead of a 1.2 meg drive tomorrow to do the rest. I will be dumping most of the night as I am a night owl, so I will be around. Have come across 3 disks that dumped perfectly, no errors, so I assume my disk drive is OK , just that some of the disks have errors on them, will be sending them t you Todd for Kyroflux dump but for now I will diump what I can. I do know that the disk heads are clean and that my machine is fully comatable with FM disks , (the FDC). See ya in about 3 hurs or so for an upload of disks. Note that this library has a lot of disks without DOS or DUP.SYS, you have to mount them seperately in drives 2 to 8 in Atari800 emulator and boot from DOS 2.5 to get anything off them. Russ

• Like 2

Any of the others any good , and remember not all disks have DOS and/or DUP.sys on them, got another 20 done upload them later, gonna do a a video on facebook and uppload it here..... a live video showing how to do this with Anadiask.

Russ

Any of the others any good , and remember not all disks have DOS and/or DUP.sys on them, got another 20 done upload them later, gonna do a a video on facebook and uppload it here..... a live video showing how to do this with Anadiask.

Russ

I just checked quickly a couple of them in between scanning Atari docs. Hopefully somebody else and check them over. Thanks for making these.

Allan

• 2 weeks later...

Starting tonight , I am making XFD files with my Atari 1050 Disk drive and my Xformer cable, as I don't have the SIO device yet, all other files are bad if they came from me and the 5.25 inch drive on my PC. I will be transfering them all to my master PC later on tonight then uploading them, the good thing is: NO BAD SECTORS!, my 1050 reads them perfectly when plugged into my Mega ST4 and my Ultar Satan, however the Quick Transfer Utility does not like my ICD AdSpeed 16 Mhz booster so I have to boot with Peter's software and 4 megs to run it from drive H. A good thing to note for other users that have the same thing , I willl be working around the clock to get those files up! Russ

And thank you for the xformer cable , mine worked after all, but yours is shorter Ryan.

• Like 4

Have done 3/4s of that box, only 3 disks had bad sectors, 2 were unreadable and 1 stopped on sector 105 all the time when I read it, got another 60 to go both sides, should take me most of the night, I will upload them both as XFDs and ATRs for those that want to write them to disk, (unless sio2pc can do atrs), then I will just upload the atrs after I convert them. Russ

• Like 1

Well, I can tell you that there are 123 disks in the KWEST collection, some of them are TAF disks , KWEST is Kitchener Waterloo Eight Sixteen Thirty Two, TAF of course is Toronto Atari Federation, I have a libray disk from TAF, KWEST, and SAGE, most of them are nearing completion, you guys want them in both formats ? Its easy for me to uplod both sets as the XFD sets can be written back with a simple Xformer cable and the Atari 1050 disk drive.... Russ

• Like 1

Here is the first batch, over 90 percent of the KWEST Library , both sides, some of them may be enhanced density so I will go through them all and re-upload all of those with my SIO2USB device, but for now the Ctaalog disk from April 90 is in enhanced density, so I will copy it file by fuile to a regular disk. Russ

ROMS.ZIP

• Like 4