IGNORED

Atari 8-bit Software Preservation Initiative

Farb

7 minutes ago, Mclaneinc said:

Yes, had to hand paste the actual magnet code underneath the link and off it went..Downloading now

I suspect the actual link is on a blocked in certain regions page..I'll look at it in Tor and see if it goes to a blocked page..

Tor didn't like it either but the magnet code does work, just about to start seeding the files in around 6mins..

Nope, nothing happening here. You were right about manually pasting the magnet, but absolutely nothing more than BitTorrent attempting to find peers. Strange, since I've previously used the torrents to grab the file before hosting it for direct downloads at Atari-Owner.

--Tim

Seriously working here Tim, I've just switched over to seeding it now...

So much blocking and changes in what pages you can see with security protocols in the Win updates..Yes it protects you but it makes getting the odd 'tidbit' a bit annoying..

Edit: Weird, I'm new to qbtorrent, used to use uTorrent but that is a cpu hog so swapped over, well now I'm seeding it shows no peers and I'm not getting a single byte taken from my seeded files?

Edit2....Restarted Qbtorrent and now I'm showing people getting stuff..

Edited by Mclaneinc

1 minute ago, Mclaneinc said:

Seriously working here Tim, I've just switched over to seeding it now...

So much blocking and changes in what pages you can see with security protocols in the Win updates..Yes it protects you but it makes getting the odd 'tidbit' a bit annoying..

I switched torrent programs and it's working now. Thank you for verifying things there, Mclaneinc!

--Tim

• Like 1

Just now, Mclaneinc said:

@Tim, slightly off this topic but still Atari, how did the 1200XL mass sell off go?

Lost track when I came off the sector..

My appreciation for two hardy Atari supporters exceeds my ability to put into words, but the "50 Shades of Yellow" 1200XL collection was adopted successfully. I'm now in the process of looking for new homes for the greater part of my Atari hardware collection (listed via Marketplace here).

Thank you for asking! ^_^

--Tim

Well I'm glad they got a home Tim and well done to the two individuals who supported this, I think I can guess who...

Any work that gets these beauty's out there with your help is appreciated...

Good luck with the rest of the stuff too...Hope you keep some stuff :)

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, rcamp48 said:

I have two disks for the preservation project, originals of Ninja and Ghostbusters, I backed up both of them with my Speedy drive (I just got the board from Nezgar and put it in no problem , it is the Mini Speedy board the newest one). I  just copied the Speedy software from the archives and boy does it ever write fast,I might do a video of it copying a double density disk in a few minutes. Its in my 1050 now. Russ

Hey Russ,

Thanks for the offer for Ghostbusters and Ninja. Can you please check which versions you gave on a8preservation.com ? Because almost all versions known to us are already preserved.

The speedy is a great modification. I am using a speedy for my xf551 drive and back in the day i used a super speedy which was able to copy protected disks without a computer ?

Please do know that as far as i know a speedy is not able to create an atx file.

I've removed the clickable link, cut and paste is the way here on out. :)

as for torrent free, I provided an http file server link, just click the folder, go the box on the left select all and download...

working on resurrecting the ftp server as well

It's updated preservation torrent time,

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:e7fa4e5ddb3dd136fd99a407af5b8abb5a22ebf4&dn=Atari8bitPreservedSoftware2019-07-09

do you want to find a specific preserved item to compare? sure you can... this is for those who don't torrent also

Super duper Hyper Text File Server

ftp Real Soon Now...    the Atari RSN button goes here.

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Fred_M said:

Hey Russ,

Thanks for the offer for Ghostbusters and Ninja. Can you please check which versions you gave on a8preservation.com ? Because almost all versions known to us are already preserved.

The speedy is a great modification. I am using a speedy for my xf551 drive and back in the day i used a super speedy which was able to copy protected disks without a computer ?

Please do know that as far as i know a speedy is not able to create an atx file.

But the drive with the Mini Speedy and 10502PC device can still produce an ATR that I found out, there is still software for that and I am supposed to receive a USB starter kit from Atarimax, I paid $109.00 US for the entire kit, everything I ned, but that was a month ago , either Canada Post lost it or it never showed up. It was supposed to be out for delivery on June 28 2019........ I received 47 good double density blank formatted disks from Nezgar along with the Mini Speedy. What about the modificationsÉ My drive works perfectly at high speed although it will not work with the Happy software, not sure if it is supposed to, but I used the Speedy software to copy both Ghostbusters and Ninja , will check the version numbers when I get home , the ones on a8preservation were cracked versions, mine are originals.... I never copied them for the group.

Russ

Russ the preservation project uses original disks and does almost all preservation at the flux level, ATR's are normally only useful for verification or repair of items that are either not protected or no protection exists in the area needed. A vapi or PRO image is needed for some things but a kryoflux or super card pro image is almost always what is done with a protected commercially produced disk....

The crew painstakingly reviews all submissions doing the best they can not to mix anything up.

The only time this is not the case is if it is the only copy known to exist of something and efforts to discover originals are exhausted or the only know original is damaged and a donor is needed to complete it. That is also noted within the project and a resolution is to keep searching for another original

Edited by _The Doctor__

19 minutes ago, Farb said:

What makes you say this exactly?

They came from the internet archives , they re already preserved, I just put them on disk for my use , they somehow got into the KWEST library as I stored them in the same box, question Fred, can I run Hapy software on the Mini Speedy?

2 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

Russ the preservation project uses original disks and does almost all preservation at the flux level, ATR's are normally only useful for verification or repair of items that are either not protected or no protection exists in the area needed. A vapi or PRO image is needed for some things but a kryoflux or super card pro image is almost always what is done with a protected commercially produced disk....

The crew painstakingly reviews all submissions doing the best they can not to mix anything up.

The only time this is not the case is if it is the only copy know to exist of something and efforts to discover originals are exhausted.

Hey Doc: do you know of any software that I can use to read or write ATX files on hte Mini Speedy? Fred said somethin about the Speedy not being able to use ATX, but I have a Mini Speedy, if anything will write prtected files to drive 2 then I might be able to do just that...

Russ we aren't using internet archives, we are using real disks to create actual preserved images of the real disks protections and all. some contain data that has been present on the master disks that have always been there. Please do not mix them up! Please only submit real materials not cracked copies. Providing unprotected user group disks is wonderful and they are as they were delivered. That is a form of preservation but not on this level..

I don't know the capabilities of the mini speedy off the top of head. I suspect you can ask the fellow who has been making them and selling them.

Edited by _The Doctor__

1 hour ago, rcamp48 said:

But the drive with the Mini Speedy and 10502PC device can still produce an ATR that I found out, there is still software for that and I am supposed to receive a USB starter kit from Atarimax, I paid $109.00 US for the entire kit, everything I ned, but that was a month ago , either Canada Post lost it or it never showed up. It was supposed to be out for delivery on June 28 2019........ I received 47 good double density blank formatted disks from Nezgar along with the Mini Speedy. What about the modificationsÉ My drive works perfectly at high speed although it will not work with the Happy software, not sure if it is supposed to, but I used the Speedy software to copy both Ghostbusters and Ninja , will check the version numbers when I get home , the ones on a8preservation were cracked versions, mine are originals.... I never copied them for the group.

Russ

Hi Russ,

The goal of the project is to preserve the software for the Atari 8-bits in the most accurate way possible. We do this by dumping original disks, tapes and cartridges and so create digital files (PC) of the software. The most accurate way for disks is including the disk protection of the disk. To create such a dump needs special hardware. With a "Kryoflux" (PC) drive (https://www.kryoflux.com/?page=kf_features) the disk can be dumped with the protection.

The result is an "ÄTX"-file and for example Altirra and the Sdrive Max can load these files. With an Atari 8-bit drive you can only dump the disks to an "ATR"-file (I might be mistaken here.... I don't know all possibilities... but you will need special hardware/software) The resulting ATR file can ofcourse be loaded too, but an ATR is not able to contain the disk protection. So that file is not the most accurate way possible. Maybe the USB starter kit you ordered from Atarimax can do the job of creating an ATX-file? I don't know what kind of kit it is, but other people here will probably know more about this kit.

A Kryoflux is quite expensive. I don't have one, that's why I send all my disks to @Farb . I am dumping tapes at the moment, because you only need a tape player which can be connected to a PC or laptop.

The speedy is a great device and back in the day it was used very often to copy protected disks (including the protection) to new disks .Dumping disks to a digital file is a completely different game ;-) I hope you are not dissapointed, because the speedy is a great enhancement to your Atari 8-bit setup. Sorry ;-) I never said that a speedy (all speedies, mini 1, mini 2, super, mega and so on) is able to make ATX files.

As far as I know a speedy is not compatible with software which was created for the Happy. But there are people here who know a lot more about the differences between the Happy and Speedy ;-)

Edited by Fred_M

1 hour ago, rcamp48 said:

the ones on a8preservation were cracked versions, mine are originals.... I never copied them for the group.

Are you sure it was a8preservation.com, because the site does not offer any downloads. A new download torrent of the software was released a day ago, but that contains all software we have preserved.

and they sure aren't cracked.... although I do know some folks think just because a thing might load or even play a bit that it's good to go, but normally that may lead to weird things.... think tail of beta lyrae... or any number of others where the game is altered and either unwinnable or death or etc etc etc

1 hour ago, Fred_M said:

Are you sure it was a8preservation.com, because the site does not offer any downloads. A new download torrent of the software was released a day ago, but that contains all software we have preserved.

Ah yes, I was getting them from the Internet archives sorry to confuse everyone …………..

1 hour ago, Fred_M said:

Hi Russ,

The goal of the project is to preserve the software for the Atari 8-bits in the most accurate way possible. We do this by dumping original disks, tapes and cartridges and so create digital files (PC) of the software. The most accurate way for disks is including the disk protection of the disk. To create such a dump needs special hardware. With a "Kryoflux" (PC) drive (https://www.kryoflux.com/?page=kf_features) the disk can be dumped with the protection.

The result is an "ÄTX"-file and for example Altirra and the Sdrive Max can load these files. With an Atari 8-bit drive you can only dump the disks to an "ATR"-file (I might be mistaken here.... I don't know all possibilities... but you will need special hardware/software) The resulting ATR file can ofcourse be loaded too, but an ATR is not able to contain the disk protection. So that file is not the most accurate way possible. Maybe the USB starter kit you ordered from Atarimax can do the job of creating an ATX-file? I don't know what kind of kit it is, but other people here will probably know more about this kit.

A Kryoflux is quite expensive. I don't have one, that's why I send all my disks to @Farb . I am dumping tapes at the moment, because you only need a tape player which can be connected to a PC or laptop.

The speedy is a great device and back in the day it was used very often to copy protected disks (including the protection) to new disks .Dumping disks to a digital file is a completely different game ;-) I hope you are not dissapointed, because the speedy is a great enhancement to your Atari 8-bit setup. Sorry ;-) I never said that a speedy (all speedies, mini 1, mini 2, super, mega and so on) is able to make ATX files.

As far as I know a speedy is not compatible with software which was created for the Happy. But there are people here who know a lot more about the differences between the Happy and Speedy ;-)

Thanks Fred , and yes I hear they are working on making the Mini Speedy work with ATX files , Nezgar says that they are working on it as we speak, but Yes I am happy with the Speedy, (Pun not intended), I was able to back up both of my copy protected disks and they work great , I am home now but leaving soon again. Russ