IGNORED

Atari 8-bit Software Preservation Initiative

Farb

Great news guys, REspeqt works as a Happy drive and my Mini Speedy works also as a Happy drive, it actually reads and writes ATX files I will do a video of it working on The Cosmic Balance, I just finished writing the ATX file from drive 2 to drive 1 with my 10502PC device from Lotharek, don't know I if have the latest version, but I have had a few ATX files work, as long as there are no weak sectors it works. Will let you know if the Cosmic Balance copy actually works, its my favourite game.... besides Spy Vs Spy. 

Pictures are below:

MVC-004F.JPG

MVC-005F.JPG

MVC-006F.JPG

MVC-007F.JPG

MVC-008F.JPG

23 hours ago, Timothy Kline said:

The magnet isn't loading for me here, and using a Torrent search doesn't seem to turn up any results, either. Is anyone else getting a working torrent from the link?

There's some unicode mumbojumbo before the &dn= and hyphens of the filename in the magnet link, and got it to work with my client after removing the unicode characters. Here is a link that should work for those having issues. Maybe AtariAge's standard text editor mangled it. Maybe best to paste in a code block like this? It appears to highlight unicode characters when editing.

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:e7fa4e5ddb3dd136fd99a407af5b8abb5a22ebf4&dn=Atari8bitPreservedSoftware2019-07-09

Thanks doc, pulled it down within minutes after figuring this out, will seed for foreseeable future or until superseded.

Edit: Nope, copying from my code block and pasting into a non-unicode aware editor still shows a unicode unknown block before the "&dn", after 2019, and after 09.. Hmm... AtariAge definitely mangling it. erg

• Like 1

The magnet code should work as that's how I got it but the browser must have magnet: as a mime type to pick up on it internally which most torrent software sets up for you.

My problem was that the torrent was getting for me but as I found out with Tim, that it was not constantly seeding and I left it on the whole day and failed to even make a ratio of 1 ie giving back what I downloaded. It just seeded tiny bits and I would see a user come on for 2 secs and then drop off. Gave up when I turned the PC off last night in the early UK hours.

All I can say is no idea re the torrent seeding but great follow up by others to offer alternatives which is handy as many shy away from torrents because of the perceived view of them. People should remember that its only a major problem / risk is you stream high visibility mostly current or recent copyrighted material, if its your own work there's no legal issue and stuff that's old like this stuff that unless a person lodges a copyright infringement then there's no problem is using these torrents.

The Preservation project has been very open and asks copyright holders who object to let them know..SO basically enjoy the torrent..

This file looks to be named incorrectly:

Hi-Res Adventure #4 - Ulysses and the Golden Fleece (1982)(SierraVenture)(US)[a SierraVenture][disk].zip

My guess is maybe it's supposed to be:

Hi-Res Adventure #4 - Ulysses and the Golden Fleece (1982)(SierraVenture)(US)[a][disk].zip

And of course, the reason they are zipped is obvious :)

When you do see a double zipped release its because its part of 'scene' rules, items get compacted twice, not sure why (most compressed ratio?) and the scene has so many strange rules..

Others copy what they see on scene releases, bit like all those people who hold their phone like you see them do on The UK Apprentice tv show..There's a simple reason they do that on the show and its a daft way in real life yet people think it makes them look 'cool'.....sigh...

The torrent is not zipped but the individual files are. The HTTP server is also individual zipped files.. the zip ensures the integrity of the files. Their are more than one  torrent, http, mega and other methods of delivery now, each person and each site delivers the files in their own way.... even torrentzipped

This is a torrent folder this time instead of a zip of zips but that another story.

Edited by _The Doctor__

Thanks to all that have seeded and/or made download links available.

On 7/12/2019 at 10:29 AM, dukdukgoos said:

This file looks to be named incorrectly:

Hi-Res Adventure #4 - Ulysses and the Golden Fleece (1982)(SierraVenture)(US)[a SierraVenture][disk].zip

Thanks for pointing this out. It should not have the [a] flag at all. It will be corrected in the next release.

12 hours ago, toddtmw said:

Can anyone provide an explanation on why the torrent is a zip of zips?

As others have said, you should not be seeing a "zip of zips" - if you are, you might be downloading an older torrent release.

What you should be seeing is a ZIP file for each release on the website. Each file within the zip is a dump associated with that release (also as shown on the website). So the zip file is leveraged partially as a grouping mechanism. More importantly, however, is that some of the cassette dumps that have audio channels are distributed as large WAV files -- the ZIP files help at least a little to get the size down a bit. 7ZIP at high compression would be even better but I assume that could cause some folks to have problems extracting them.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, toddtmw said:

Can anyone provide an explanation on why the torrent is a zip of zips?

53 minutes ago, Farb said:

As others have said, you should not be seeing a "zip of zips" - if you are, you might be downloading an older torrent release.

What you should be seeing is a ZIP file for each release on the website. Each file within the zip is a dump associated with that release (also as shown on the website). So the zip file is leveraged partially as a grouping mechanism. More importantly, however, is that some of the cassette dumps that have audio channels are distributed as large WAV files -- the ZIP files help at least a little to get the size down a bit. 7ZIP at high compression would be even better but I assume that could cause some folks to have problems extracting them.

Hi, toddtmw,

The file presently available for download from Atari-Owner is simply a "boxed" version of the individual ZIPs which came as part of the latest preservationist torrent release. When extracted, it generates a mirror to the torrent's contents as they were delivered to me upon release, because the integrity of the official archive is as important to me as it is to both everyone involved in providing this important collection and everyone provisioning its distribution through various downloadable methods. :) 

Hope that helps,

—Tim

Edited by Timothy Kline

5 minutes ago, TobyJennings said:

Is there a reason you guys don't just put all this stuff on Archive.org like the Apple guys are doing?

It's a problem of time and level of effort. Things are still changing so often in the preservation database that it would be a nightmare to keep things on archive.org up to date without building some custom tooling to support it. The torrent approach makes it easy because we can just re-generate the torrent from scratch every release.

5 minutes ago, Farb said:

It's a problem of time and level of effort. Things are still changing so often in the preservation database that it would be a nightmare to keep things on archive.org up to date without building some custom tooling to support it. The torrent approach makes it easy because we can just re-generate the torrent from scratch every release.

I think we might have different definitions of "easy" but it's your rodeo.

3 minutes ago, TobyJennings said:

I think we might have different definitions of "easy" but it's your rodeo.

My definition of "easy" is what makes it sustainable to continue the preservation work we do. Creating distribution channels for the dumps simply doesn't have a high priority and the current method works even if not ideal.

If you are interested in doing the work to maintain it on archive.org we can certainly discuss how to support that. Otherwise, you get what you pay for ?

• Like 1