IGNORED

Atari 8-bit Software Preservation Initiative

Farb

36 minutes ago, TobyJennings said:

Is there a reason you guys don't just put all this stuff on Archive.org like the Apple guys are doing?

Looking at the link you just posted..... Just a bunch of different archives. No structure at all..... Sorry but I think that is not "easy" at all ?

There are several ways to obtain the software. I would not be suprised when a previous torrent has been uploaded there already ;-)

Edited by Fred_M

Why are people so afraid of torrents? It's easily the best way to distribute archives of software like this, as the MAME, TOSEC, etc etc guys have all proved over time.

The only suggestion I'd make is when you post a new torrent link post the DAT file separately as well. That would allow us to use the DAT to do any renames before even joining the torrent, and hence join with a higher completion ratio.

just another reason not to use transmission or u torrent.... I switched long long long ago. I also had the more vulnerable clients blocked from the torrent. Some folks have to use another client and complain before or after doing so. It's their choice to use insecure clients. It's my choice not to connect with those clients. :)

4 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

Every modern software has security flaws that need to be patched. Not a problem if you use the right program (not uTorrent) and keep it up to date.

There's always a risk of fake torrents that are loaded with trojan's and there's many sites that offer what you think is the real download location for the genuine torrent software only to get a patched nasty, if you keep saftey in mind and only get client stuff from the OFFICIAL site which is easy to verify and keep your security up to date then you should be fine. Any fake torrents will get picked up by your AV software in real time mode as they download and your OS security will also help.

People just get really scared that torrents are only about BAD / naughty software, that's simply not true, torrents get used by developers to supply software in some cases, things like the preservation team use them because its an easy way to share stuff that's 100% legal and the same goes for much of the old legal stuff. Torrents are what you make of them, look for bad stuff and you risk issues, look for the good stuff and there's very little risk.

If you ignore all the FUD around bittorrent, the reason for not using it here is that it's a very small pool of users, most of whom are leeches who will hit and run, so there is never a large enough pool of seeders to get the torrent established.

On top of that the file sizes are tiny, web sources are more than reliable enough for those sizes, so why bother.

• Like 1

I'll always prefer a torrent for a project like this because it means I only download the delta from one version to the next, rather than the whole thing every time. I'm also seeding away, although because it's a trackerless torrent it's hard to tell how many people are actually seeding.

The files in this torrent aren't torrentzipped so there is no guarantee that the same data will have the same crc after compression from one release to the next.

The total file size is less than 1GB, how much bandwidth do you think you are going to save going through the 'verify local files, resume torrent' process?

This morning I uploaded the files to pigwa, yesterday I put them on archive.org, they are on my website as well. Space and bandwidth is cheap, these files are tiny. 

• Like 1

the real number of seeds has been varying between 4 to 8 with some consistency with the off high mark of 11 or so, while you think there is no tracker, there are actually 2, I and one other are using built in trackers of our given software. I performed a merge. I felt confident nothing malicious was going to happen when files are executed on our Atari's, that being said, a compare against the source at the project drive couldn't hurt. Feel free to do so...

I was stead fast about using a zip of zips for quite some time for this project. I decided to change it this time, and will ask after a time to have folks perform a compare of the torrent vs a ht zip download. If there is no aberration the folder will continue. If so much as one person comes back with a bit out of place... it will go back to a zip of zips.

current seeds 7

Edited by _The Doctor__

I took the HTTP file server down as it was getting hammered with bots, most of which were fishing from China, Russia, and India... but I will put it back up

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:e7fa4e5ddb3dd136fd99a407af5b8abb5a22ebf4&dn=Atari8bitPreservedSoftware2019-07-09

do you want to find a specific preserved item, or wish to compare? sure you can...

Super duper http file server

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can host it with LimeWire Pro.

:)

Edit: Add link.

magnet:?&xt=urn:sha1:IVAQPSJQ7F3TKB7R7LGWCYHLOWWQEUEF&dn=Atari8bitPreservedSoftware2019-07-09.zip.mp3&xs=http://73.154.49.234:15532/uri-res/N2R?urn:sha1:IVAQPSJQ7F3TKB7R7LGWCYHLOWWQEUEF&xs=urn:guid:B444E8F562FF784C6565D1A2414C9C00&xl=949948824

Edited by Kyle22
add link.
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Mclaneinc said:

Just noticed on the Atari Facebook page that Russ (Rcamp48) is selling all his Atari gear for personal reasons...I hope every thing is ok at his end...

Second time he’s stormed off the scene in a couple weeks. Sounds a lot like drama ...

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

@Farb Woo Hoo, my first contribution to the project: Seawolf II + Gunfight [cassette]

This is a straight, unedited, and uncropped audio copy from my tape deck to PC.  The WAV files work as-is in Altirra, but I figure I'll leave the cleanup to you experts.

Seawolf II - Gun Fight (1983)(US)(EPYX)[cassette].zip

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Porkchops & Applesauce said:

@Farb Woo Hoo, my first contribution to the project: Seawolf II + Gunfight [cassette]

Thank you very much! @Porkchops & Applesauce I have uploaded your files to a8preservation for analysis. They will be added soon! ? 

@Farb is on holiday (and work) but he will be back soon ;-) 

On 9/16/2019 at 5:20 AM, tane said:

Turbo Tennis in English: Turbo Tennis.atr

Thank you very much @tane! a8preservation uses ATX dumps (made with a.o. Kryoflux drives) of disks and at the moment we only list commercial releases. I don't know if we can use your atr file (sorry!), but I will keep you posted. I know that lots of other Atari users (and probably Atarimania too ;-) ) will be very happy with this atr!

Edited by Fred_M
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Porkchops & Applesauce said:

This is a straight, unedited, and uncropped audio copy from my tape deck to PC.  The WAV files work as-is in Altirra, but I figure I'll leave the cleanup to you experts.

Nicely preserved. Both games are stored just as a standard cassette boot files without any spectacular cassette loaders or specialties.

So preservation as .cas file should be sufficient.

Gun_Fight_Clean.cas Sea_Wolf_Clean.cas

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1