IGNORED

Atari 8-bit Software Preservation Initiative

Farb

Well,

I have removed the list protection with the Basic Lister by M.Hauke. This program saves the listable Basic file in LIST format, so you have to use ENTER"D:..." to load a program from Basic.

But beware: The last lines of almost every Basic file contain redundant lines that a) contain garbage, b) overwrite existing lines, etc. So, first load the programs into an ATASCII texteditor, remove the redundant lines and then save the programs again.

When done, go to Basic and use ENTER"D:..." to load the programs one after another, you can then use SAVE"D:..." to save them in tokenized format. I already corrected A0.BAS and saved it in tokenized format. Evil as I am, I also removed the redundant :;? at the end of line 50, so that the Atari Fuji logo shows fine.

The program A0.BAS contains a small MCode in line 120 to load the tape with short IRG's (similar to CLOAD) and automatically run the program (similar to RUN"C:", but as said before, the MCode allows for short IRG's). Almost every program part has a Poke 54018,52 and Poke 54018,60 (or something like that) to start and stop the tape and therefore playback the speech from tape. Think the programs also look for some short blips from the tape (shorter than one data block), before they continue with the next subprogram. If these blips are not found, then the program does not continue. This technique was used with several PDI programs, so no special cartridge (like the Educational Program Cartridge) and no special tape format was nescessary. BUT I am not absolutely sure, if it was used here... more investigation required...

But hey, it's 3am in the morning, time to go to bed now (or listen to some Simon and Garfunkel album, which is entitled "Wednesday morning 3am", not sunday morning 3am)...

P.S.: There is no DOS on this ATR, just the program files.

NMBTest.zip

Me as a young man: Simon and Garfunkel, ah yeah, Bridge over troubled water......

Me Now: Garfunkel?   What sort of name is that?

Odd how we change...I still think of Bridge over troubled water tho ;)

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trying to set up my Supercard Pro for the first time, connected to my Mac using a8rawconv. I'm getting "unable to open serial port." Is there a driver to install or something to do to set up serial?

./a8rawconv -p 104 scp0:48tpi backed_up_disk.atr
A8 raw disk conversion utility v0.9
Copyright (C) 2014-2015 Avery Lee, All Rights Reserved.
Licensed under GNU General Public License, version 2 or later.

Unable to open serial port: /dev/cu.usbserial-SCP-JIM

I really want to contribute to this project in a meaningful way.

Thanks

Kevin

• Like 1

First off, thank you to everyone working on this project. I'm merely a "consumer" and in the process of creating a subset of all of these files for my own purposes. At this point, I've opened and experimented with every file you've preserved from 1978 through 1982. 

I do have a question: On the original post, there is a dead link to, I believe, a spreadsheet showing the codes used in some of the preserved new filenames. Can someone post this list? I'm unsure what [a], [m], [f] refer to. 

On 12/30/2019 at 3:58 PM, toddtmw said:

Here is the pdf of this found here might be easier to read http://www.atarimania.com/atari-magazine-analog_18.html

The source should be Aug 86?  http://www.atarimania.com/mags/pdf/analog_no_45.pdf

On 2/16/2020 at 4:11 PM, MagicMarc-er said:

I do have a question: On the original post, there is a dead link to, I believe, a spreadsheet showing the codes used in some of the preserved new filenames. Can someone post this list? I'm unsure what [a], [m], [f] refer to. 

Look here:

https://www.tosecdev.org/tosec-naming-convention

As a direct answer to your question:

[a]lternative set - different code, graphics or disk format

[m]odified image - high-scores, saved games etc.

[f]ixed image - original had a defect and was repaired using some other image (typically replacement of rotten sectors)

Edited by DjayBee
  • Like 4

On 2/14/2020 at 3:30 PM, Savetz said:

I'm trying to set up my Supercard Pro for the first time, connected to my Mac using a8rawconv. I'm getting "unable to open serial port." Is there a driver to install or something to do to set up serial?

./a8rawconv -p 104 scp0:48tpi backed_up_disk.atr
A8 raw disk conversion utility v0.9
Copyright (C) 2014-2015 Avery Lee, All Rights Reserved.
Licensed under GNU General Public License, version 2 or later.

Unable to open serial port: /dev/cu.usbserial-SCP-JIM

I really want to contribute to this project in a meaningful way.

Thanks

Kevin

I have a SuperCard Pro, but not a Mac.   :(

If you do an ls /dev/cu.usbserial-SCP-JIM, does it show up?

If not, a place to ask is the SuperCard Pro forum, the guy who made it answers questions there and I'm sure he can help.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, telengard said:

I have a SuperCard Pro, but not a Mac.   :(

If you do an ls /dev/cu.usbserial-SCP-JIM, does it show up?

If not, a place to ask is the SuperCard Pro forum, the guy who made it answers questions there and I'm sure he can help.

I got the help I needed in this thread:

Thank you!

-K

Woo hoo! I'm excited!

I just bought a KryoFlux Personal Edition Premium off someone on ebay. I haven't seen them on there often and was almost ready to buy one from Kryoflux. This way I saved about $50.

The seller said it was brand-new and unused. He'd bought it several months ago with big plans for archiving but then never used it. It should help me backup my personal collections of 8-bit and 16-bit stuff, none of which is anything special or anything the community is missing, but I'm, excited to archive my own stuff. Then I'll be able to help the community if people have things that need to be archived.

I have a good, compatible 3.5" drive for it. Now I just need to search ebay and find a decent, compatible 5.25" drive.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, bfollowell said:

Where might I find a decent torrent for the most recent complete pack? The latest I can find is from 7/9/19. It isn't a complete pack, and it seems to not be seeded anymore as my download is dead in the water at 42%.

Thanks.

Tim has a copy of the complete set on his website: https://atari-owner.com/fun/atari-preserved-software/Atari8bitPreservedSoftware2020-01-25.zip

No torrent needed ;-) 

• Like 1

I put a copy on archive.org too

https://archive.org/details/Atari8bitPreservedSoftware2019-07-09

EDIT: I somehow missed the Jan 25th release so I'm uploading that now.

It's online now. I've requested we get a collection to put the files in rather than just community uploads

• Like 1