IGNORED

Atari 8-bit Software Preservation Initiative

Farb

7 hours ago, Stephen said:

Crazy amount of work!  Thanks for doing this.

I agree with Stephen, wow! Such a huge undertaking!

While I have all the batches, to-date, hosted for anyone wanting them, I'm not certain it's necessary now that they are at Archive.org for preservation— so, unless anyone can think of a reason for me to continue doing so, I'll be removing them by month's end (March 31).

The official Preservation file, however, I will continue to host.

Thank you to everyone investing their time, energy, and resources to preserve Atari software for the future Atarians!

--Tim

Collection 8

300+ Disks, 200+ Hours, 500ml+ IP, 100+ Cotton buds later, here we are.

(There was a lot of rough disks, thanks to MILF for helping with the last few).

Quite a few rares and missing from what I can tell.

As always, please check and enjoy.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EAgTn3ctB396Y0tv4DsDqhaRgqCZcdNw/view?usp=sharing

Previous Collections

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lmybx2yFXPOaNk3x4WL6Gv3cGnMIoneQ/view?usp=sharing

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

Hello,

I sent my Atari Computer collection off to be scanned by Gaming Alexandria (that is to say, the actual boxes and manuals) and was wondering if some of the games mentioned in the OP five years ago were still missing too.

Specifically, I've got US copies of Alley Cat, Beyond Castle Wolfenstein and Essex. 

I also have something called "the Lotto Program" which is supposed to help you win the lottery via computer. Is there any interest in that?

And finally, I'm having him dump Magic Storybook Three Little Pigs, since that isn't publicly available, but were you going to need any of the above still?

Edited by CliffRacer
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, luckybuck said:

Sorry to say, but Collection 8 seems to be a damaged zip file...

Downloads and extracts fine for me (Win 10). Anyone else having issues?

I'm using 7-Zip. Some of the file names are maxed on a few of the Menu disks, which may be too long for some OS and generating an error maybe?

Edited by Zarxx

Windows 10's built-in ZIP extractor doesn't like it either. 

I recommend using 7zip's own compression since it doesn't have the limitations old implementations of ZIP do.

Or leave it as is and people can use 7zip to do the extraction (which works fine).

Edited by jamm
  • Like 1

Thank to you both, this brought me the solution for the Mac users: please use Keka from App store, this software unpacks the archive 8 without any problems. But it takes much more time.

Zarxx collection now unpacked @ 7.79 GB for 3,092 objects... WOW!!!!!!!!

Edited by luckybuck

6 hours ago, Zarxx said:

Collection 8

300+ Disks, 200+ Hours, 500ml+ IP, 100+ Cotton buds later, here we are.

(There was a lot of rough disks, thanks to MILF for helping with the last few).

Hi Zarxx,

Nobody can complain for such amazing work, thank you ...

But, IMHO, images taken from non original disks should be cleared, individually, labelled as such.

Again, not a complain

Edited by ijor

7 hours ago, ijor said:

Hi Zarxx,

Nobody can complain for such amazing work, thank you ...

But, IMHO, images taken from non original disks should be cleared, individually, labelled as such.

Again, not a complain

The Protected Backups folder is what I have previous labelled Non Originals, as I always include scans for the actual Originals and separate folder.

I can confirm these are just hand labelled disks where I’ve found protection still present.

7-Zip 7z versions if it helps. I'll use this going forward. Zips still active if needed.

Collection 8

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1g01XR0Y767TxrL4JLyH8p5hlgSAGHy58/view?usp=sharing

Previous Collections 1-7

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JB6ARUYCAqNLDaCQPPC2JXrjT7r_ta7n/view?usp=sharing

Edited by Zarxx
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, CliffRacer said:

Specifically, I've got US copies of Alley Cat, Beyond Castle Wolfenstein and Essex. 

I also have something called "the Lotto Program" which is supposed to help you win the lottery via computer. Is there any interest in that?

And finally, I'm having him dump Magic Storybook Three Little Pigs, since that isn't publicly available, but were you going to need any of the above still?

Thanks for offering to contribute!

Yes, I would say all of the above would be helpful. Alley Cat because we have yet to see an undamaged copy, BCW because we need to verify it (would be helpful to know if it is the Atari-only or dual-format release) and Essex because we've only ever seen two copies of it. The Lotto Program I found on a non-original disk so would be great to see an original dump. And as you said, we've never seen a dump from an original of Three Little Pigs ?

It may have something to do with the odd mega long names, Winrar took forever to process it and some of the atr's don't show up as atr's as a file type and Altirra can't see them. Drop the name size down and its all fine again.

I imagine the super long name is confusing the OS

Things have moved around a bit at the Internet Archive, Atari 8bit Software Preservation now has its own collection! Everything is unzipped and I'm hoping to get it all web runnable at some point using the IA webassembly emulators. It was quite traumatic getting it all uploaded and I have still to audit to make sure we recovered from any errors correctly, I'll be doing that over the next couple of days.

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_atari_a8sp

Because this collection is great for grabbing the occasional file but a lot more difficult to grab everything from at once, I've created a new item called a8sp_archives that I can just upload the new torrent release zips to for easy downloading.

https://archive.org/details/a8sp_archives

• Like 7