IGNORED

Atari 8-bit Software Preservation Initiative

Farb

A couple of suggestions for those recording their cassettes for preservation:

1. Turn off your WI-FI antennas on your router.  They throw out a pulse that can be picked up by a cassette player.

2. Remove power from your SuperCard Pro. It can also send out some interference.

I turned these two things off and got cleaner recordings.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, luckybuck said:

What? EM interferences, are you for real?

Yep.  Turned them off and could see the difference in the wave structure and was able to get a couple of recordings that were failing me time and again.  Absolutely turn them off.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, luckybuck said:

Uh ha, thanks, have interferences with several TV programs coming from sat with my router, but this was new for me. Thank you very much.

Yup, I know there's a huge conspiracy around EMF leading to EMF material underpants, Shungite crystals and all matter other utter nonsense but like RF, it is an interference that if strong enough, affects :)

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 1

Thanks to all, well, the problem here is the space, it is good, if one can bring distance to all devices -> 1/r^2... but if you don't have the space, it is critical. There are just a few programs, who are affected and only when the telephone is ringing, therefore, this is a minor problem. – But for preserving... Last time, I used cassette was in 1982 and that time, I hadn't a router and therefore no problems. Thank to all.

My friend Tony is a sufferer of this EHS related to EMF's, he complains of feeling when next door's BT Hub is up and running, he can't sleep properly, gets headaches etc etc..

The odd thing is that they say there's no real data on it but in at least one case had to accept it as a medical condition in order to get benefits here..

The only effect I get is if I'm in front of a monitor for a long time my face starts to get very warm and itchy, like I'm getting sunburned, my face even goes red.

But I can see how stuff like this would make data corrupt...

Yeah, when working with MAC/65 it was very dark and not good for the eyes according to the doctor, therefore I switched back to white background and black letters, which we use the most. From there one, it went better. – Today, due to LED, we have a need for an addional blue light filter, because the LED light destroys our retina. This is from a medical Prof. from our best hospital, the Charité, in Berlin. So sadly not kidding here.

• Like 1

Random RFI story-- our neighborhood has automated gates that use control kiosks (with keypad/intercom) for entry and they use POTS (telephone) lines for calling residents, etc. I can induce an audible whine and 'tick-tick-tick' clicking in the intercom speaker just by bringing my iPhone within a couple feet of the kiosk. It's actually enough interference that it can cause problems with DTMF decoding during system updates.

(The gate controllers are "present day" manufacture, but electronics-wise inside they're straight out of about ~1987. 68HC11 MCU with POTS line interface and dedicated DMTF encoder/decoder, 1 line/20 character LCD, through-hole DIP parts-- and little adapter boards making DIP components from modern SMT parts when they couldn't find the necessary parts in DIP anymore... Updates to pass-codes, resident names, etc. are done over 'the internet' via a server, but it ultimately ends up calling the kiosk by phone and using DTMF for the data transfer-- not even FSK or something!) ;-) 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Mclaneinc said:

My friend Tony is a sufferer of this EHS related to EMF's, he complains of feeling when next door's BT Hub is up and running, he can't sleep properly, gets headaches etc etc..

The odd thing is that they say there's no real data on it but in at least one case had to accept it as a medical condition in order to get benefits here..

The only effect I get is if I'm in front of a monitor for a long time my face starts to get very warm and itchy, like I'm getting sunburned, my face even goes red.

But I can see how stuff like this would make data corrupt...

And here I sit in front of a 43" Super Ultrawide monitor... though so far I think it's only causing dry eyes, which could be simply from me staring at things for too long without properly blinking...

Weird about the EMF and sleep.  I have the tendency to not sleep well either, but usually blame that on wanting to do things instead of work and working too many hours...

19 hours ago, SoulBuster said:

Please note that Drelbs 1983 Disk requires your drive to be an 810.

Confirmed.

This is one that can be corrected to run on a 1050 by using the -p command of a8rawconv to alter the protection track timing. In this case track 5. I had success with 112-124.

Start at 100 and increment 2 or 3 until successful, other titles I have had working lower at the 105 range. I check my drive speeds regularly to make sure they are 288.

a8rawconv drelbs1983.atx scp0:96tpi -t 5 -p 118

• Like 2

Playing through SSI games from the latest 07-02-21 release. Having problems with Battle for Normandy [cassette]. Using Altirra 3.90. CLOAD+RUN and it seems to hang. Warp speed will eventually get flashing colors, but program never seems to ultimately load to main screen. Can anyone determine if it's a bad cassette image, not emulator friendly, or is there a specific machine setup necessary?

54 minutes ago, mikic said:

Playing through SSI games from the latest 07-02-21 release. Having problems with Battle for Normandy [cassette]. Using Altirra 3.90. CLOAD+RUN and it seems to hang. Warp speed will eventually get flashing colors, but program never seems to ultimately load to main screen. Can anyone determine if it's a bad cassette image, not emulator friendly, or is there a specific machine setup necessary?

Despite the file name instructions, it is not a CLOAD/RUN program, but the more rare "RUN C:" approach.

Boot Altirra as an 800/48K/OSB/Basic (probably other configs work). Do NOT have auto load casette set on (System menu/Auto Boot tape should be off). At READY prompt, type RUN "C and hit return twice.

Command line flags for above are:

/tempprofile /burstio /siopatch /fastboot /noaccuratedisk /hardware:800 /kernel:osb /memsize:48K /ntsc /artifact:none /basic /cart "<your path here>\Atari BASIC Revision A (1979)(Atari)(US)(400-800).bin" /cartmapper 8 /nocasautoboot /type "RUN `C~~"

Please Note: The instructions for loading side b of Leader Board Dual pack is in correct.

It should read:

Follow the loading instructions of outlined for loading LEADER BOARD. Once the program has loaded properly and the 'Select Players' screen appears, insert the back side of the disk, and then while holding down the 'Shift Key', press <RETURN>.

• Like 1