IGNORED

Atari 8-bit Software Preservation Initiative

Farb

Technicolor Dream

Technicolor Dream.7z

I'd heard about this type of protection used by Red Rat. A physical pin hole which reads like a weak sector (White LED underneath).

This one scans from sector 641 to 720 looking for the hole. Once found it is read multiple times and if the read is not different, fails. No error crashes at 720.

I tested this by moving the weak sector to 641 and 720 (original is at 694) and both load fine once found.

TD (641).atx

TD (720).atx

I have another copy which has different protection including a weak sector but no hole, so may have been changed later on (Hole causing potential head issues).

This also means that copies with the hole will likely have a different hole/sector location.

2119133058_RRPinhole.thumb.jpg.0ef9d0bbed3216192b040a732b2d12f5.jpgTDx.jpg.b82c940670118f971556b3644d8e6d6a.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Happy New Year! My contribution attached. This utility, The Atari Graphics Wizard by English Software, doesn't appear to be listed on Atarimania or the a8preservation sites. I remember ordering it from a magazine advert as a kid back in the 80's and am fairly sure that the package did not include the booklet or owners manual referred to in the inlay. Side A loads fine in Altirra but have not worked out how to load anything from side B. Would be interested if anyone figures out how to use it. 

agwbox.thumb.jpg.b69e2c402304126fc2402d14a3c5cae2.jpgagwinlay1.thumb.jpg.77c5aee0d599c60ad263b2febd746790.jpgagwtape.thumb.jpg.a794a4765048a2c1b881434acb4de059.jpgagwinlay2.thumb.jpg.d7a45607229062d9d32d31a873268362.jpg

atarigraphicswizard.7z

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, AtariRoots said:

Happy New Year! My contribution attached. This utility, The Atari Graphics Wizard by English Software, doesn't appear to be listed on Atarimania or the a8preservation sites. I remember ordering it from a magazine advert as a kid back in the 80's and am fairly sure that the package did not include the booklet or owners manual referred to in the inlay. Side A loads fine in Altirra but have not worked out how to load anything from side B. Would be interested if anyone figures out how to use it. 

agwbox.thumb.jpg.b69e2c402304126fc2402d14a3c5cae2.jpgagwinlay1.thumb.jpg.77c5aee0d599c60ad263b2febd746790.jpgagwtape.thumb.jpg.a794a4765048a2c1b881434acb4de059.jpgagwinlay2.thumb.jpg.d7a45607229062d9d32d31a873268362.jpg

atarigraphicswizard.7z 77.16 MB · 24 downloads

Thank you and Happy New Year!

Cleaned up. Cas'd and included an Altirra wav save.

Atari Graphics Wizard, The (1984)(English Software).7z

Thanks again.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, AtariRoots said:

Happy New Year! My contribution attached.

Yes, Happy New Year to all and thank you for the contribution!

10 hours ago, MrFish said:

Is there a torrent for this release?

No, not an official one. remowilliams' Mega link is the official distribution mechanism at the moment.

5 hours ago, Zarxx said:

Thank you and Happy New Year!

Cleaned up. Cas'd and included an Altirra wav save.

Atari Graphics Wizard, The (1984)(English Software).7z 36.28 MB · 12 downloads

Thanks again.

Thanks for that.  FYI  I've discovered that pressing the 'H' key in the main application brings up a help menu with a guide to all the other keys which should be a good starting point for anyone trying to use it .  

2 hours ago, Farb said:

No, not an official one. remowilliams' Mega link is the official distribution mechanism at the moment.

Shame, I always feel like having to to download from Mega is like being forced to go through a dangerous neighborhood, just to eat at an amazing restaurant.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, MrFish said:

I'm getting a bunch of CRC errors when I unzip either of these archives.

Hmm. I just double-checked here and I am not getting any CRC errors from the downloaded file. I'm using Total Commander's built-in ZIP/UNZIP feature to extract the contents of the file linked originally upon release, as well as the downloaded copy. File sizes match, as well. There was nothing more done on my part than download the file from Mega, and then drop it onto the mirror folder at Atari-Owner.com, grab the direct link, and post that the mirror was available.

--Tim