IGNORED

Atari 8-bit Software Preservation Initiative

Farb

1 hour ago, Timothy Kline said:

Hmm. I just double-checked here and I am not getting any CRC errors from the downloaded file. I'm using Total Commander's built-in ZIP/UNZIP feature to extract the contents of the file linked originally upon release, as well as the downloaded copy. File sizes match, as well. There was nothing more done on my part than download the file from Mega, and then drop it onto the mirror folder at Atari-Owner.com, grab the direct link, and post that the mirror was available.

1 hour ago, Mr Robot said:

I just double checked too and I'm not getting any errors using Keka or the macOS built in unarchiver. 

I just downloaded from Tim and uploaded to mine. 

Must be an incompatibility with the compression format. I normally use PowerArchiver, which is solid. I usually have 7Zip installed, because occasionally I've encountered a problematic 7Zip archive -- but never a problem with regular Zip archive. Anyway, 7Zip seems to have unzipped it fine.

19 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

what unzip program was throwing the crc errors?

PowerArchiver

I use an older version of it though, from 2015.

One of the main reasons I use it is for compatibility with older ARC files, which most other PC archival programs can't deal with properly.

• Like 1

Noticed The troglodyte isn't in.

Warwick Allison has released it to PD sometime around 1987.

He used Edit 6502 on an 800 and used a switch to protect the ram program ran in (it is a cart originally)

He was in brisbane australia.

I do have it somewhere.

James

trog.exe

Edited by sup8pdct
added file

Computereyes v1.1 (1985)(Digital Vision)(US)[disk].zip doesn't match the DAT file for the archive. DAT files says there is supposed to be a "side b" image also in the ZIP.

game (
    name "Computereyes v1.1 (1985)(Digital Vision)(US)[disk]"
    description "Computereyes v1.1 (1985)(Digital Vision)(US)[disk]"
    rom ( name "Computereyes v1.1 (1985)(Digital Vision)(US)(Side A)[BASIC].atx" size 100208 crc 592766ef md5 1d228d579fa804cfc99251f3176cca1c sha1 0645e4c967bfeaa3ecc0a67381b539f027b46fd8 )
    rom ( name "Computereyes v1.1 (1985)(Digital Vision)(US)(Side B)(Graphics 9)[BASIC].atx" size 100208 crc 5b4d7dbd md5 092393b7b76b29975f213edca9867178 sha1 640829966a75306d4b3f0d84a6c384a588c8ada3 )
)

Edited by dukdukgoos
added DAT info
  • Like 1

On 1/4/2022 at 9:28 AM, sup8pdct said:

Noticed The troglodyte isn't in.

Warwick Allison has released it to PD sometime around 1987.

Thanks, I had assumed it was only a PD title (we don't track those at the moment). Was this originally released commercially?

Edited by Farb
  • Like 1

Is this ready for the torrent release now and can the missing bits be in the torrent?... I held off because of the different inconsistencies and the zip incompatibility mentions. I'd like to include the fix ups in the torrent and a note about zip software that should be used...

or I can skip the zip until the next release... whatever you want.

Edited by _The Doctor__

15 hours ago, luckybuck said:

All the probems regarding the Mac are described here:

https://atariwiki.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=Pack and unpack in 7z format with a Mac

If normal software doesn't work, then the one with Terminal will work.

https://www.keka.io/en/

Keka is my archiver/unarchiver of choice on the mac, give it a try. 

On 1/7/2022 at 5:46 AM, _The Doctor__ said:

Is this ready for the torrent release now and can the missing bits be in the torrent?... I held off because of the different inconsistencies and the zip incompatibility mentions.

Here is the Computereyes v1.1 ZIP with the missing side B: Computereyes v1.1 (1985)(Digital Vision)(US)[disk].zip

I was under the impression that the ZIP incompatibility mentions were related to the mirrors that were created and not the ZIPs in the original Mega link. The process to create the official ZIP files is the same as it always was.

I would say it is ready for a torrent with the updated ZIP posted here. Thank you for doing it.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Farb said:

Here is the Computereyes v1.1 ZIP with the missing side B:

The dump was made from an original v1.1 disk but I believe v2.0 on sideB is non-original, copied from another disk.

It is part of a User Group collection I acquired about 10 years ago, 300 DPI PDF manuals are available for v1.1 and v2.0 at archive.org.

https://archive.org/search.php?query=ATARI COMPUTEREYES MANUAL DIGITAL VISION

10 hours ago, Farb said:

I was under the impression that the ZIP incompatibility mentions were related to the mirrors that were created and not the ZIPs in the original Mega link. The process to create the official ZIP files is the same as it always was.

Yes, my problem was decompressing the single, large ZIP file from Mega (and the mirror of it). After dealing with it using 7Zip, I didn't have any issues (using PowerArchiver) with the smaller ZIP files of each preserved title.

18 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

did 1.1 come with a side b or didn't it? was it copied over with v2.0 from a user group copy party? is there an original disk for both and did they both have a side b or were they single sided? Be great to know for sure.

This would indeed. Hopefully someone will contribute additional original disks or dumps of v1.1 and v2.0 sometime soon ?

• Like 1

Regarding Computereyes v1.1 on sideA, when I dumped it I didn't try booting in Altirra but have done so now. I found that it stops at READY in BASIC, likely an issue with AUTORUN.SYS, but that the BASIC program XEC can be loaded/run manually. Version 1.1 requires the drive# to be included when accessing files on the drive, ex: D1:filename.ext, versions 1.3 and 2.0 prompt for the drive#.

• Like 1

Very much enjoying the recent December release.  As I wade through some of the files, I'm struck by my latest limitation.  I'm sure some of you have the same issue.  From an emulator standpoint, it seems we still don't have the "One ring to rule them all" emulator.  Both the SDrive-Max and Side3 cart are fantastic, I've also used the My-IDE II from Atarimax as well as SIO2PC.  I'm currently using SDrive on a 1200XL and am trying to decide how to handle the .CAR files.  I could manually go into the December release and supplement ATR files from the CSS Cracks or XEX files from Fandal.  I could purchase a Side3 cart to use just for CAR files but I'd have to hope the cart will fit in my 1200XL. 

By my count, there are 344 CAR files in the latest release.  Is it the eventual goal to have all the files converted to or supplemented with ATX files?

Anyone have a simpler solution that I'm missing?

54 minutes ago, MagicMarc-er said:

I could manually go into the December release and supplement ATR files from the CSS Cracks

You will not find that many cracks without the original ATX in the A8P release because the release is the basis of what I do.

;)

That said: I add the few ATX or PRO files I find on the internet, which are not part of the A8P database, to my cracks . But these really are not that many.

55 minutes ago, MagicMarc-er said:

Is it the eventual goal to have all the files converted to or supplemented with ATX files?

Not really because the project's goal is to preserve/archive originals and not to create "something new".

The obvious exception are titles which got released as carts and as disks. These will be archived if they show up in the respective format.

• Like 1

I got bunch of SSI (Stategic Simulations Inc.) games in original floppies.

List of Atari 400 800 XL XE Games : Strategic Simulations, Inc., page 1, (atarimania.com)

Sending those games it probably will cost more than the Greeaseweazle usb V4.  So my questions are:

Can I use that with a 360K floppy mech which needs 12VDC? how do you "inject" 12VDC there?

Where I can get a list of SSI (or any other company) list of missing or list of already included games in this project catalog?

I would like to make sure there is something really interesting in the lot I got.

2 hours ago, manterola said:

I got bunch of SSI (Stategic Simulations Inc.) games in original floppies.

List of Atari 400 800 XL XE Games : Strategic Simulations, Inc., page 1, (atarimania.com)

Sending those games it probably will cost more than the Greeaseweazle usb V4.  So my questions are:

Can I use that with a 360K floppy mech which needs 12VDC? how do you "inject" 12VDC there?

Where I can get a list of SSI (or any other company) list of missing or list of already included games in this project catalog?

I would like to make sure there is something really interesting in the lot I got.

Here is a link to all the SSI titles in the a8preservation.com database, following the links will allow you to determine the status of each title.  The only time additional dumps aren't helpful is if the particular version is already listed as "Preserved".

Even if you get a GW V4 you will need a modified 5.25" drive to dump sideB of any flippy disks, or modify the disks with a second index hole, modified drives are over $100 + shipping. If doing the latter the database can help determine which titles have a sideB.

I have a couple of USB to HDD adapters that came with power supplies that have a molex connector to provide +5V/+12v, similar linked below.

https://www.amazon.com/Vktech-Adapter-Hard-Disk-Power-Supply/dp/B00D2LS2AO/ref=psdc_10967101_t3_B000MGG6SC

Edited by BillC