IGNORED

Atari 8-bit Software Preservation Initiative

Farb

I have finished re-indexing but not testing all 188 disks for the new Reindexed 2022 KWEST 8 Bit Library , I zipped all 188 files into one archive 

You never know as there might be a hidden gem in there, I found soem of my 40 year old source code in there. I am going to spand the time tonight

testing and cataloging what I have and what I don't have in the KWEST library. As soon as I pick up the two cases of 5.25 inch blank 360s that I was

given I will create a disk index of all KWEST disks. I don't think you can do that with atrs, as you have to insert each disk to be cataloged.

There is still the 200 disk collection that is with Biker Bob, but I have all of those archived , the new collection is only half finished but until I find out what I 

have I will wait until I have archived and tested it all. Russ

KWEST-Reindexed 2022.zip  Dont't bother downloading , bad files , I am going to have to redo them. Russ

Edited by rcamp48
Bad files sorry
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Here's a disk of games by Ron Kim, provided to me by him. He wrote a few BASIC games for Dynacomp.

The attached ATR contains four of his five Dynacomp games: Paper Boy, Super Tank Attack, Nebs and Cosmos.  This disk also contains a non-Dynacomp early game he made called Fortress. It is missing (non-Super) Tank Attack which we'll hopefully get from him later.

@www.atarimania.com http://www.atarimania.com/list_games_atari-400-800-xl-xe-kim-ron_team_3223_8_G.html will be improved by these.

-Kay

Ron Kim Disk 7.ATR

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

On 1/18/2022 at 7:58 PM, rcamp48 said:

I have finished re-indexing but not testing all 188 disks for the new Reindexed 2022 KWEST 8 Bit Library , I zipped all 188 files into one archive 

You never know as there might be a hidden gem in there, I found soem of my 40 year old source code in there. I am going to spand the time tonight

testing and cataloging what I have and what I don't have in the KWEST library. As soon as I pick up the two cases of 5.25 inch blank 360s that I was

given I will create a disk index of all KWEST disks. I don't think you can do that with atrs, as you have to insert each disk to be cataloged.

There is still the 200 disk collection that is with Biker Bob, but I have all of those archived , the new collection is only half finished but until I find out what I 

have I will wait until I have archived and tested it all. Russ

KWEST-Reindexed 2022.zip  Dont't bother downloading , bad files , I am going to have to redo them. Russ

Just an update on some of these disks, I have yet to get my two 1050  disk drives working and I am out of town for a few more days, when I get back I will get my friend in town to fix them, and I will then continue to contribute to the Kwest Library disks. I have another 50 to still archive. Russ

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Savetz said:

Here's a disk of games by Ron Kim, provided to me by him. He wrote a few BASIC games for Dynacomp.

The attached ATR contains four of his five Dynacomp games: Paper Boy, Super Tank Attack, Nebs and Cosmos.  This disk also contains a non-Dynacomp early game he made called Fortress. It is missing (non-Super) Tank Attack which we'll hopefully get from him later.

Many thanks, it's great to see more and more Dynacomp programs archived!

So Tank Attack was a preliminary version before the author improved the game and sent it to Dynacomp?

On 4/19/2022 at 12:25 PM, www.atarimania.com said:

So Tank Attack was a preliminary version before the author improved the game and sent it to Dynacomp?

Tank Attack was a separate Dynacomp title, according to Ronald.

He wrote: "This is 4 out of 5 of my Dynacomp games- the ATR file contains Paper Boy, Super Tank Attack, Nebs and Cosmos.  This disk also contains a non-Dynacomp early game I did called Fortress. I have the disk with my 5th game, Tank Attack, but having problems reading it.  Will have to work on it later."

-Kay

On 5/10/2020 at 8:51 PM, andyhants said:

Would I be right in thinking the 'Atari 8 bit preserved software 2020-01-25' directory under ftp.pigwa.net is the right location for the latest overall set of preserved images ?

Hi all - can anyone kindly point me to the latest repository please - the directory above under ftp.pigwa.net seems to be gone & I would have tbought a mor recent archive than Jan 2020 would exist now - many thanks.

• 1 month later...

Hi all - I have a Kryoflux and have made images of my C64 original games. I noticed that one of them (Transylvania) includes the Atari 8-bit version on one side and the commodore version on the other and that the one on A8PS shows as non-original. I can state that the commodore version works perfectly, but I don't know about the Atari version. DTC allows writing to FM or MFM of Atari 8-bit, I just don't know which to use. I have the raw files available if anyone wants to look at them. You can get them at the link below. I have a flippy drive, so it's c64 on one side (side 0) and atari on the other (side 1).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zv522o5wv06b19h/Transylvania.zip?dl=0

Rob

• Thanks 1

On 6/16/2022 at 12:10 PM, Plaxamate said:

Hi all - I have a Kryoflux and have made images of my C64 original games. I noticed that one of them (Transylvania) includes the Atari 8-bit version on one side and the commodore version on the other and that the one on A8PS shows as non-original. I can state that the commodore version works perfectly, but I don't know about the Atari version. DTC allows writing to FM or MFM of Atari 8-bit, I just don't know which to use. I have the raw files available if anyone wants to look at them. You can get them at the link below. I have a flippy drive, so it's c64 on one side (side 0) and atari on the other (side 1).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zv522o5wv06b19h/Transylvania.zip?dl=0

Rob

I have been able to decode this to ATX using a8rawconv, it boots in Altirra 4.0. 

Transylvania.atx

I also decoded to ATR, but this failed to boot in Altirra.

Edited by BillC
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, BillC said:

I have been able to decode this to ATX using a8rawconv, it boots in Altirra 4.0. 

Transylvania.atx 97.86 kB · 1 download

Great! I know the C64 version had a protection on it and I assumed, given the errors received, that the Atari one did too. This is the Penguin Software version taken from the original disk. The disk label says copyright 1982, 1984. There may be saved games on it since the game saved directly to the disk. Let me know if you need any other information about this disk.

Rob

On 6/17/2022 at 3:47 PM, BillC said:

Transylvania.atx 97.86 kB · 25 downloads

What settings needed in Altirra? For me it just hangs going back and forth from sector 270-271.

(Never mind, figured it out).

Edited by R.Cade

9 minutes ago, R.Cade said:

What settings needed in Altirra? For me it just hangs going back and forth from sector 270-271.

When I try to boot an ATR it hangs at sector 271-272.

To boot the ATX in Altirra 4.0 I just configured a 64KB NTSC XL with V.2 OS, BASIC disabled, and under drives the emulation level set to 1050 (288 RPM).

While the image doesn't have any anomalies, which allows it to be converted to ATR, the original disk appears to have index alignment protection which requires an ATX image to boot successfully.

29 minutes ago, R.Cade said:

For me it just hangs going back and forth from sector 270-271.

The protection checks for sector skewing on three tracks. The first one involves sector 271.

The timing unfortunately only works in NTSC.

If you run it in PAL it reads these sectors veery often and often continues loading anyway, but I don't know if it then also works correctly or if it only does something.

21 hours ago, DjayBee said:

The protection checks for sector skewing on three tracks. The first one involves sector 271.

The timing unfortunately only works in NTSC.

If you run it in PAL it reads these sectors veery often and often continues loading anyway, but I don't know if it then also works correctly or if it only does something.

Real hardware - PAL - Normal 1050

The Atarimania ATX version hangs on the first protection check, the new one loads fine with no discernible retries like it does in Altirra (PAL). 48 seconds vs 60