IGNORED

Atari 8-bit Software Preservation Initiative

Farb

Can someone try it out? (I can't— waiting on a Mac version of phaeton's conversion utility.)

This looks much better and now successfully boots. There's still some bad reads but it seems like a8rawconv may be compensating. I'll let Ijor chime in if he sees something wrong.

FYI, I provided a Mac binary for a8rawconv (phaeron's conversion utility) a couple of posts up.

Microsoft BASIC 1.0 — Atari internal disk, labeled serial number 140. Copy protected. Don't know if it's the same as the released version.

MicrosoftBASIC1.0_AtariInternal_1981-09-04_serialnumber140.zip

Spell Me (Castle Software).zip

From my own (purchased back in the day!) Birth of the Phoenix disk.

Birth of the Phoenix.zip

• Like 3

Yes, Birth of the Phoenix appears to be problematic. It might be worth another dump attempt.

Oh, and is Spell Me an original disk? If so, any chance of a photo?

All of the disks I contribute to this project will be originals unless I say otherwise.

PhoenixTry2.zip

Advanced Protection Techniques (Alpha).zip

post-803-0-82470700-1478464991_thumb.jpg

-Kevin

• Like 3

What about the many titles that were released only in ED? ... Also I found a protected DD disk in my collection ... It would be great if the new specification of the ATX format would provide support for ED and DD densities... :)

Here is log from the AUFIT v1.3 by Jean Louis-Guérin (DrCoolZic):

Yes, we are exchanging ideas with Phaeron. One way or the other it will get MFM support.

Note that Aufit is designed for ST disks. As you can see it gets a little confused with 8-bit disks. For sure that most of those protections messages are just a consequence of the different bit rate between the disk of both platforms (300 RPM vs 288 RPM). Will take at the look at the raw dump later. Many thanks.

• Like 1

This looks much better and now successfully boots. There's still some bad reads but it seems like a8rawconv may be compensating. I'll let Ijor chime in if he sees something wrong.

Yes, it is ok. There are errors, but every track is ok in at least one revolution. It has no copy protection that I can see.

All of the disks I contribute to this project will be originals unless I say otherwise.

Thanks for the clarification and the photo of Spell Me.

Unfortunately, the second Phoenix attempt was only slightly better than the first.

The Advanced Protection Techniques dump has quite a bit of stuff going on that I would generally consider suspect but, then again, it is a disk demonstrating PROTECTION TECHNIQUES ;-) The ATX does boot. I may have that disk hiding somewhere - I'll see if I can find it and compare.

Thanks for the clarification and the photo of Spell Me.

Unfortunately, the second Phoenix attempt was only slightly better than the first.

The Advanced Protection Techniques dump has quite a bit of stuff going on that I would generally consider suspect but, then again, it is a disk demonstrating PROTECTION TECHNIQUES ;-) The ATX does boot. I may have that disk hiding somewhere - I'll see if I can find it and compare.

I do have that disk, but alas, no Kryoflux device.

Microsoft BASIC 1.0 — Atari internal disk, labeled serial number 140. Copy protected. Don't know if it's the same as the released version.

These are identical except for these two differences:

Released version:

end of VTOC sector: "V1.0 100"

protection: sectors 364, 380, 560, 592, 720 (missing)

internal version:

end of VTOC sector: "uSOFT V1.0 140"

protection: sectors 364, 380, 560, 592, 720 (bad CRC)

Altirra v2.81 shows a strange behavior with the internal version:

For the bad sectors with "LFE DISK" it does not even show that these are accessed.

Edited by DjayBee

There should be three disks.. but I'm not sure how they are labelled.. On Atari mania they have three disks.. labelled Game Disk (back and front) and one just named "Sons of Liberty.atr". The one named "Sons of Liberty.atr" is bootable and runs the game. The one labelled Game Disk is what I insert when it asks for Side 1 (front) and Side 2 (back). However the media scans show a "Game Disk" and a "Scenario Disk". So I'm not sure how they are labelled.

Compare this to what is in the torrent here and it looks like the back side of the Game Disk is missing. Because when the game asks for it none of the included disks works.

The manual on Atarimania does not really give much insight on this either. But best I can tell the back side of the Game Disk is missing in your set.

Did anyone have any luck getting the tape version of Star League Baseball (1983)(Gamestar)(US) to start?

I get to the intro but then the music just keeps playing.

Tried on Altirra and Atarixlbox.

Just sat and tested it, it needs to be booted in XL and the screen set to NTSC

Its weird, if I try and boot it as an OSB it errors and goes to Memo pad, were the cas routines upgraded in the XL bios?

Edited by Mclaneinc