IGNORED

Atari 8-bit Software Preservation Initiative

Farb

The problem sector is a weak one on the original. For unknown reasons a8rawconv sees this but does not act correct.

The ATX only contains a bad-CRC sector.

Writing ATX file: atari_eternal_dagger_d1_ssi_87.atx

WARNING: Track 2, sector 5: 5 different sectors found at the same position

0.20 but different bad data. Keeping the most popular one.

0 missing sectors, 0 phantom sectors, 1 sector with errors

But yours is the same version as the one in the current torrent.

This means that the converter found that the sector data is identical in at least two (I believe) revolutions and then it assumes it is slightly damaged and not originally weak.

It might be a problem on the converter's PLL processing. But I've seem at least one case that the recording, as read by the drive used for the dump, is simply not weak enough. It is very possible that the sector would read as weak on an Atari drive and the PC drive here is too good. Among other things, PC drives typically have a much more stable RPM with very little jitter in comparison to the belt driven Atari drives.

Edited by ijor

Hi together,

Maybe it is useful, to get a quick overview, what is, as of July 2018, already in the archive so far? More than 1,600 titles are in now. Have made for this purpose a text file of the complete titles:

attachicon.gifAtari_8bit_Preserved_Software_2018-07-26.txt

So, if something you have is missing in the file, please let us know, so we can go for the 100 %.

Big sorry, that is an old disease of mine, I have already abandon all hope to meet the cure... ;-)

Before contacting, please be so kind and take a look for the title in the search field:

http://a8preservation.com/#/software?page=1

there is a chance, that it is meanwhile in the archive, so no need for double work then. :-)

But double work is indeed necessary, if the [!] is missing. Only titles with [!] are verified. Therefore, you can help us very much even for verifying! With that technique, I could found out, I had a fake original disk of the Atari Word Processor CX404! The checksums of the atx images speak a clear language here.

Thank you soooo much for your support in the name of the community.

I didn't find S.A.G.E. (Scott Adams' Graphics Editor)

on the last torrent, but it's in http://a8preservation.com

Am I missing something ?

the torrent is only updated periodically after enough sources exist and everything is verified and tested. other wise we end up with a zillion torrents with lot's of erroneous provenance and data. I would suspect it will update again before the end of year.

Edited by _The Doctor__

Can you post all images here or better compare them first against my MD5s?

Side A 4756191bfe764599690d373fd8c977b7

Side B 6dfaddfd905fbfae0225b82c02723c1a

I have only found one dump as an ATR and it appears to have used the same weak-sector 41 protection as Eternal Dagger and many more SSI titles.

Unfortunately I cannot find the code which checks the protection. It seems to have been removed wrongly.

If we can find an ATR which contains this code then we can recreate a working ATX and most probably a working cracked ATR.

Same MD5. I think every site has the same badly dumped file circulating!

Rebel Charge At Chickamauga (1987)(SSI).zip

• Like 2

These are all the disks where Kryoflux's .atr output is unreadable. No luck with a8rawconv to convert the .raw streams to a working .atr/.atx.

** Note: The Eternal Dagger disks are the same as I listed in a prior post. If you downloaded them already they're the same.

atari_clear_for_action_avalon_84.zip

atari_colonial_conquest_ssi_85.zip

atari_panzer_jagd_avalon_83.zip

atari_shiloh_grants_trial_ssi_87.zip

atari_eternal_dagger_d1_ssi_87.zip

atari_eternal_dagger_d2_ssi_87.zip

Edited by mikic
  • Like 2

Here are the cassettes. I converted the Kryoflux .wav to .cas with the a8cas converter tool. The .wav files are 60-80MBs each, so slightly too large to upload here.

I have 2 additional cassettes where I could not convert the Kryoflux .wav to a working .cas:

VC (Avalon Hill)

Conflict 2500 (Avalon Hill).

Again....the zipped .wav files are slightly too big to upload here.

B-1 Nuclear Bomber (1981)(Avalon Hill)CASSM.zip

Close Assault (1982)(Avalon Hill)CASOS-BSM.zip

Controller (1982)(Avalon Hill)CASSM.zip

Dnieper River Line (1981)(Avalon Hill)CASSM.zip

Galaxy (1981)(Avalon Hill)CASSM.zip

Guns of Fort Defiance, The (1981)(Avalon Hill)CASSM.zip

Midway Campaign (1980)(Avalon Hill)CASSM.zip

North Atlantic Convoy Raider (1981)(Avalon Hill)CASSM.zip

Edited by mikic
  • Like 5

These are all the disks where Kryoflux's .atr output is unreadable. No luck with a8rawconv to convert the .raw streams to a working .atr/.atx.

Both Avalon titles are bad (probably rotten) disks.

Colonial Conquest and Shiloh also should have a weak sector 41 like Eternal Dagger, but do have only a bad-CRC sector.

Colonial Conquest ist v1.1 whereas the dump in the torrent is v1.0.

Shiloh is not currently part of the torrent.

So these are two needed dumps. :thumbsup:

I don't have the means to add weak sectors to ATXs but ijor can use your raw dumps to create a working image.

Edited by DjayBee
  • Like 1

@devwebcl: Yes, indeed, ~2,400 titles are now in the input, but published are just ~1,600. Time is needed to made them reliable, check, insert the website and so one... All this takes time. For example, the final Roswell report took 50 years... The Dead Sea Scrolls are still under work, after 71 years of work... But be sure, it will not take that long, but not so fast as in: 'I Dream of Jeannie'. O. K.? But your post is important, we need users, who have an eye on this. If we come to the torrent with > 2,400 titles and it is not included, please blame it on me. Thank you for your help, we really appreciate.

@mikic: WOW! Thank you sooo much. :-)))))

Edited by luckybuck
  • Like 1

Earlier this year I had sent my entire floppy collection to The Software Preservation Society (SPS) to preserve: 160 IBM PC, 30 Apple II, and 28 Atari 400/800 titles (+10 tapes). They preserved them with Kryoflux. A great guy from SPS spent a fair amount of time lovingly preserving all of them!

miki

That was me. Thank you for the kind words, but I am not technically a "member" of SPS or anything. I actually "am" the C64 Preservation Project, but am always willing to help out someone in need.

-Pete

Edited by R.Cade
  • Like 1

That was me. Thank you for the kind words, but I am not technically a "member" of SPS or anything. I actually "am" the C64 Preservation Project, but am always willing to help out someone in need.

-Pete

Thanks, Pete. I didn't want to call you out publicly by name! Didn't know if you were cool with that.

Pete spent countless hours over two different mailed batches over several months preserving all these disks. I don't know how he does it! Unfortunately for the Atari community only a small portion of the disks were for the Atari. On a positive note, Pete was able to successfully create streams on every Atari disk and cassette in the collection. I wish I had more Atari disks. I actually prefer many Atari versions over Apple/C64/IBM.

• Like 4

Both Avalon titles are bad (probably rotten) disks.

Colonial Conquest and Shiloh also should have a weak sector 41 like Eternal Dagger, but do have only a bad-CRC sector.

Colonial Conquest ist v1.1 whereas the dump in the torrent is v1.0.

Shiloh is not currently part of the torrent.

So these are two needed dumps. :thumbsup:

I don't have the means to add weak sectors to ATXs but ijor can use your raw dumps to create a working image.

Thank you! They boot fine now. I don't know how you guys work this magic, but I'm glad preserving old software continues to have a following of committed folks you you all.

• Like 3

I didn't find S.A.G.E. (Scott Adams' Graphics Editor)

on the last torrent, but it's in http://a8preservation.com

Am I missing something ?

The a8preservation site tries to list all releases made for the Atari 8-bit. One of the goals is to make one of the most accurate databases on the internet. That is why there are still a lot of releases listed there, which are not yet preserved. As luckybuck states, there are still hundreds of dumps waiting to be added. But even when all those dumps are added, there are still a lot of titles/releases which are not preserved yet, although these titles/releases are listed on a8preservation (without a dump).

Edited by Fred_M
  • Like 1

Thanks Fred, yes, there will be an article in the next Abbuc magazine about all. Really up to date is always the databank:

http://a8preservation.com/#/software?page=1

which is available in 3 languages for now. Btw, we really would be glad if there is someone out there in the galaxy, who can add a missing language to the project? It is just a few hours of work and can be done with a good editor. Please let us know. You do not do it for you, you do it for your country!

To make it easy for all. Please check with the list (from my post #1319):

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/234684-atari-8-bit-software-preservation-initiative/page-53?do=findComment&comment=4117220

whether the title is already availabe. If not, please check in the database, whether it is available there, if not, your are extremely welcome! :-) In this case and please only then, contact Farb and transmit, you have a title to add. Further, please collect the data, that means, softwarehouse, date, size and so on. You can see the mask in the link above. Also, please take a picture of the disk, cassette or even cartridge. PAC-MAN for example was from 3 different sources, but it is the same game, 1st Roklan, 2nd Atari and 3rd Datasoft. For the project, these are 3 different games!

I hope, I could clear up some questions. Thank you all.

• Like 1

I made the Dutch translation, it is very easy to do indeed ;) I hope others will do the same for their language.

Pac Man is a nice example, but there are many more titles out there! A few weeks ago I found out that for example Football Manager by Addictive UK had 3 releases. I spent many hours in adding those (re)releases to the a8preservation website :)

I also asked the (UK) members here to give more information about which titles were rereleased by Dixons UK. Sadly, there are not many collectors out there who have this knowledge :( http://atariage.com/forums/topic/282391-dixons-pack-releases-uk/

Edited by Fred_M
  • Like 3

I did not know you would be able to do ATXs. Wow! Thank you.

I was except for weak sectors. But thanks to Atari_Ace I am now also able to do them. :)

Now, you are able, too:

https://atariwiki.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=Create%20an%20atx%20image%20from%20KryoFlux%20raw%20files

If on PC, please adapt a little bit

Thanks, but this was not the problem. I needed to edit the resulting ATX because the conversion missed the weak sector.

Btw.: The PC-version of a8rawconv works the same as the Mac version.

Some things to add:

• If a8rawconv complains about track 39 or 40 (I don't remember) missing, then you must add the parameter "-tpi 48".
  • The first raw-file usually is named "*00.0.raw"
  • If the dump is made from a flippy disk with a modified drive then side B has to be converted with the additional parameter "-r" and the first raw-file is named "*00.1.raw"
  • Like 1