Jump to content
Farb

Atari 8-bit Software Preservation Initiative

Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, Pheonix said:

Changing the line "I'm always willing to dump disks" to "I'm always willing to dump disks for anyone that doesn't have the HW to do it themselves."

Ah, OK. You could give Farb your approximate location, in case somebody is seaarching a dumper.

 

13 minutes ago, Pheonix said:

OK, found the Edit button for this post, guess it gets disabled at some point. 

Yes, for non-members after one hour.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For members the window is longer, but not endless. I am no paying member, therefore I do not know more exact.

 

Edited by DjayBee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Pheonix said:

And, I think Farb already has my address, and not just approximate location

Yes, I do 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Pheonix said:

Can't find the edit button... Going blind I guess

If you’re not an AtariAge subscriber, you can only edit a post for 30 minutes (I think? Might be 60). AA Subscribers can edit for up to 30 days.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, DjayBee said:

Yes, for non-members after one hour.

It's not about being a member, subscribers get a longer time to edit posts among other benefits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

If you’re not an AtariAge subscriber, you can only edit a post for 30 minutes (I think? Might be 60). AA Subscribers can edit for up to 30 days.

This is off topic, but I'm glad you made this post. I had no idea subscriptions were a thing and I've been lurking here for years!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Awch said:

This is off topic, but I'm glad you made this post. I had no idea subscriptions were a thing and I've been lurking here for years!

I was clueless also until one day my mouse was hovering over the Subscription tab.  And clicked on it.

 

Untitled.thumb.png.6186b04bf93dd50568837495f3e9bbd2.png

Edited by Roydea6
I wanted to add a visual.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi All,

 

As requested in the FaceBook "Atari 8-Bit Computers" group, I'm uploading an archive of the cassette version of my own game Brik-Bat with its construction set that was released by Page 6 in the UK in 1991.  I didn't have my own copy of the published media until very recently when I stumbled across it on eBay.  The archive contains scans of the instructions and cover along with CAS files for both sides and pictures of the tape.

 

Please let me know of any issues with the files... and if anybody finds a copy of the published disk version please let me know!

 

Cheers,

Trevor

BrikBat.zip

  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, RetroElectroDad said:

Hi All,

 

As requested in the FaceBook "Atari 8-Bit Computers" group, I'm uploading an archive of the cassette version of my own game Brik-Bat with its construction set that was released by Page 6 in the UK in 1991.  I didn't have my own copy of the published media until very recently when I stumbled across it on eBay.  The archive contains scans of the instructions and cover along with CAS files for both sides and pictures of the tape.

 

Please let me know of any issues with the files... and if anybody finds a copy of the published disk version please let me know!

 

Cheers,

Trevor

BrikBat.zip 4.92 MB · 1 download

Many, many thanks Trevor! Brik-Bat is part of my sweetest Atarian memories, as me and one of my brothers spent hours playing against each other. Also, always wanted to understand the construction set, but lacked the instructions at the time.

 

Best regards,

 

- Y -

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Yautja said:

Many, many thanks Trevor! Brik-Bat is part of my sweetest Atarian memories, as me and one of my brothers spent hours playing against each other. Also, always wanted to understand the construction set, but lacked the instructions at the time.

 

Best regards,

 

- Y -

 

 

Wow thanks! At the time, and since, I don't think I ever had any feedback and wasn't sure anybody ever played it until i saw it on YouTube.

 

It's wonderful to hear it brought some joy!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, RetroElectroDad said:

Hi All,

 

As requested in the FaceBook "Atari 8-Bit Computers" group, I'm uploading an archive of the cassette version of my own game Brik-Bat with its construction set that was released by Page 6 in the UK in 1991.  I didn't have my own copy of the published media until very recently when I stumbled across it on eBay.  The archive contains scans of the instructions and cover along with CAS files for both sides and pictures of the tape.

 

Please let me know of any issues with the files... and if anybody finds a copy of the published disk version please let me know!

 

Cheers,

Trevor

BrikBat.zip 4.92 MB · 2 downloads

 

Thank you very much @RetroElectroDad!!

 

Great that you provide scans of the manual and tape too 🙂 

 

Are you willing to share the WAV-files too? Many preservation projects are preserving the original "soundtrack" too ;-) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Fred_M said:

 

Thank you very much @RetroElectroDad!!

 

Great that you provide scans of the manual and tape too 🙂 

 

Are you willing to share the WAV-files too? Many preservation projects are preserving the original "soundtrack" too ;-) 

Sure! I just left them out as they're quite large even zipped - not sure of the limits on AA?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, RetroElectroDad said:

Sure! I just left them out as they're quite large even zipped - not sure of the limits on AA?

Thank you Trevor! If the files are too big, can you use an online service like dropbox, onedrive, wetransfer?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do really wish we'd all learn to express our interest here and make a non competition compact to avoid bidding things up like we do... ebay loves us for this and we've bent the curve so very high....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

I do really wish we'd all learn to express our interest here and make a non competition compact to avoid bidding things up like we do... ebay loves us for this and we've bent the curve so very high....

I understand you, but you can not know everyone in the A8 world.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Mclaneinc said:

I only have the New Atari user atr of Brikbat...

brikbat.atr 90.02 kB · 2 downloads

I can’t remember if it was a disk sent to subscribers of Page 6 New Atari User or an additional purchase. It was certainly a surprise that Les Ellingham had packaged it up so nicely. I was wondering if the disk version was similarly packaged.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RetroElectroDad said:

can’t remember if it was a disk sent to subscribers of Page 6 New Atari User or an additional purchase. It was certainly a surprise that Les Ellingham had packaged it up so nicely. I was wondering if the disk version was similarly packaged.

I can answer that question after doing some digging ;-)

 

Brik-bat was a (subscriber) disk-bonus of issue 42 February 1990. In that same issue was an advert to buy this game separately on cassette tape. So sadly a disk packaging does not exist. What strikes me as weird, is that Page 6 only advertised Brik-bat on cassette tape in issue 42. In all later issues there is no mention of the game and it was not listed on the order forms. Other Page 6 / New Atari User software was available and advertised for years. So it seems like your tape is a really rare one ;-)

 

brik-bat.thumb.jpg.0c865b6c56670072f1dd359724aa09cb.jpg

 

brik-bat_tape.thumb.jpg.c44a85e38aae8122cda1e56cc20c3e4f.jpg

 

Your other game, Symbolism, was the disk bonus of issue 51 August 1991.

 

symbolism.thumb.jpg.599356d7267e11d4d34adb4706f6d159.jpg 

Edited by Fred_M
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fred_M said:

Other Page 6 / New Atari User software was available and advertised for years. So it seems like your tape is a really rare one ;-)

I’ve certainly never seen it before. What could make it even more rare is that I had a call from Les saying that a number of copies had been sent back as the game crashed past a certain level. He asked me to look into it.

 

After a lot of digging I found the only way to crash it as described was to load with BASIC enabled on the XL/XE. It turned out that there was a change Les made to the loading instruction to say *not* to press OPTION where I wrote to press it. This is why in the archive you’ll find a small errata pdf that was a slip of paper included saying “disregard the loading instruction”.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, RetroElectroDad said:

BrikBat WAV Files Archive

Uploaded to a8preservation.com's archive.

 

Thanks for sharing.

Edited by DjayBee
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/21/2020 at 7:11 AM, evilmoo said:

 

The .zip file here throws some odd errors when I unzip it under Linux:

 

Atari8bitPreservedSoftware2020-01-25/Ϻ+���Ϻ+�Ϯ (198x)(aDawliah)(SA)[cartridge].zip:  mismatching "local" filename (Atari8bitPreservedSoftware2020-01-25/الطاقة (198x)(aDawliah)(SA)[cartridge].zip),
         continuing with "central" filename version
 extracting: Atari8bitPreservedSoftware2020-01-25/Ϻ+���Ϻ+�Ϯ (198x)(aDawliah)(SA)[cartridge].zip  

Any idea what's going on here?  The "local" name appears to be the correct encoding, at least as far as InfoZip unzip is concerned.

 

Well I just spent a few hours trying to be crafty an get this unzipped... and what it came down to, I just needed to do this.  (mind you, I use zsh, so you probably don't need to put in the quotes for the wild cards).

sudo apt install p7zip-full
7z x Atari8bitPreservedSoftware2020-01-25.zip
cd Atari8bitPreservedSoftware2020-01-25
7z x "*.zip"

Yup it was that simple.  unzip -UU and just unzip screws up all the language specific stuff.  Now I have all the correct text. 

Quote

اختبر ذكائك (198x)(aDawliah)(SA).car
اختبر ذكائك (198x)(aDawliah)(SA)[cartridge].zip
الطاقة (198x)(aDawliah)(SA).car
الطاقة (198x)(aDawliah)(SA)[cartridge].zip
بنك المعلومات (198x)(aDawliah)(SA).car
بنك المعلومات (198x)(aDawliah)(SA)[cartridge].zip
سباق السيارات (198x)(aDawliah)(SA).cas
سباق السيارات (198x)(aDawliah)(SA)[cassette].zip
قاموس نجم (198x)(aDawliah)(SA).car
قاموس نجم (198x)(aDawliah)(SA)[cartridge].zip
كرة القدم (198x)(aDawliah)(SA).cas
كرة القدم (198x)(aDawliah)(SA)[cassette].zip
كيف يعمل الكمبيوتر (198x)(aDawliah)(SA).car
كيف يعمل الكمبيوتر (198x)(aDawliah)(SA)[cartridge].zip

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...