IGNORED

Atari 8-bit Software Preservation Initiative

Farb

16 hours ago, djmat56 said:

Hi all. I used to contribute back in the day. In fact, I believe a lot of the tape images on the site are my uploads.

@djmat56, it's great to hear from you! I hope you are doing well. Yes, many of the tape images in our archive are yours. Fortunately, we've been able to verify many of them over the past few years with contributions from others ?

1 hour ago, djmat56 said:

This is the list of original disks......

Thank you for putting the list together. And thanks @toddtmw for cross-referencing the list with the preservation database ?

12 minutes ago, djmat56 said:

More than happy to dump myself with the 1050.

As @toddtmw indicated, we often have a better chance of preserving disks if we can do a flux dump with Kryoflux or SuperCard Pro. If you would be willing to send them to me in Germany, I can dump them and return them to you. However, I understand if you don't want to incur risk or cost to send disks, so we'll take dumps made on an Atari drive as a last resort. I honestly don't know the quality of an ATX that Respeqt generates as I don't even own an Atari drive anymore ? There will be titles that simply can't be dumped accurately using such a method (not sure if any of yours fall in that category though).

What I can do maybe as a test is to try a couple of disks myself and dump them to ATX file with my setup and upload them here for someone to check / test. I did yesterday successfully manage to create an ATX of one of the Ultima disks that reported bad sectors as part of its copy protection using the Super Archiver and Respeqt and then dump it back to a floppy and it booted perfectly.

You can certainly try that. Ultima disks are a very trivial example I would expect to work fine since they only leverage simple missing sectors.

Just be aware that these old disks will vary in what kind of shape they are in and how many reads they will be able to tolerate before they begin suffering permanent data loss. So it is possible that a test boot or a test dump is the only completely good read you get. I've heard folks in the past disagree with that statement, but I've personally dumped and processed well over 1000 disks and have seen this phenomenon first hand.

Update: If you try to dump them yourself, be sure to check the drive head in between each dump to check if debris has accumulated. If so, clean the head before the next dump. The build-up of head debris can easily prevent a good dump and possibly destroy the disk.

Edited by Farb
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, toddtmw said:

Perhaps try one of the disks I did not list since those are already preserved and it can be compared to the preserved copy?

@toddtmw beat me to it. I'd give both sides of Top Gunner Collection a shot since it's already preserved, would test missing sectors, duplicate sectors and whether skew alignment is replicated correctly.

Thanks for the ATX files.

Caverns of Mars isn't protected but also doesn't match any dump we have - the sector interleave is different. I am uncertain if this is a legitimate variant or a side effect of the way it was dumped.

Choplifter also doesn't match any verified dump we have. The closest match is to our [a] dump but it has data differences in the first two sectors and the interleave of the protection track is different. I'm also not sure here what the cause of the difference might be.

Edited by Farb

On 9/21/2020 at 8:43 PM, leech said:

Anyone use the Greaseweazle for this?  I ordered one, but haven't hooked it up yet (as I need cables for power and such).  But seems to be a cheaper alternative to the SuperCard Pro or Kryoflux.

I too would be interested in hearing if anyone has used a greaseweazle. Thinking of getting one. What 5.25 drives are recommended?

10 hours ago, djmat56 said:

I too would be interested in hearing if anyone has used a greaseweazle. Thinking of getting one. What 5.25 drives are recommended?

For the greaseweazle, you may want to check this thread:

For the disk drive, if you are planning to write back images, it is better to use an older 48 tpi drive (40 tracks) and not a 96 tpi one (80 tracks).

• Like 1

On 9/25/2020 at 11:03 AM, OmaOhneBH said:

That looks like both a pirated copy and original.  If it were not for knowing that this happened all the time for originals and that printing a label with that quality for normal people being really expensive back then, I would think it was not original.

Folks:

I have three old Alavon Hill titles on tape that I would like to preserve. I’ve been trying to get an account on Atarimaina’s forum so I could get the process started there, but I am getting no where after several trys. I have no desire to get into imaging tapes and disk myself, but I would be more than willing to send the tapes to someone to image. I have on tape:

Tanktics

Deniper River Line

Close Assault (which it looks like has been preserved)

Also, what’s going on with the Atarimaina forum? I have several original ST disk that I would like to do the same with if I could get my account open there. Any suggestions?

OK. so I have just received my second 5.25 floppy drive and all seems to work as far as the drives concerned.
I have tried dumping an original Atari 8 bit disk (Zaxxon) to an scp file and then writing back to a blank and works everytime.
Tried converting various ATX files (using A8RAWCONV) to SCP and hardly any work. If I create more than one floppy from the same file it errors at exactly the same part so can't be the process of writing thats at fault. Is there something obvious I'm not doing?
I've even tried non-protected ATR files to SCP and then writing and hardly any seem to work for me.
BTW.....I'm using Greaseweazle with a 40 track PC 5.25 drive
Edited by djmat56

Hi! (sorry for the semi-off topic). Is there any archive with floppy labels scan/photos? I have a front end (Recalbox) wich I use to play my atari 8bit roms/images, I have all screenshots and boxes to create game list selection and art, but I want to include a diskette. In the case of C64 and MSX this material is abundant, but in the case of atari, there are very little compilations of this type of images (...or I have not found yet). Thanks !!!!

IMG_20201014_004135.jpg

Edited by Claudio Cortés

• 2 weeks later...