Jump to content
Farb

Atari 8-bit Software Preservation Initiative

Recommended Posts

Thanks to all ! I'm collecting box scans, floppy scans, synopsis, screenshots... and my collecion now looks osom!

(I worked cutting, aligning, improving, repairing damaged images and all material uploaded to screenscraper.fr, for general use, and anybody can create it's own atari gamelist too for recalbox, retropie, batocera systems, the photo attached is the interface of my Recalbox system based on Raspberry Pi 3b+ inside of a Retroflag SNES Pi Case) 

 

IMG_20201102_233730.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/15/2020 at 2:21 PM, Fred_M said:

There are some high resolution scans in this topic: 

 

 

Excellent @Fred_M Thanks !! I will upload my collected labels (are not original scans, are reapaired/retouched/enhanced bad quality photos/scans)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a kind of dumb question. Are you making these floppy images available? I was trying to create a good copy of The Newsroom (I have the originals but I am afraid to use them and destroy them) but I found ATRs (probably patched) only. I could not find any torrent, and the project page lists a lot of details about each copy, but there is no download link.  Am I missing something?

I want to try to write ATXs to real floppies using an speedy drive, RespeQt and some sector copy program that I still don't know.

thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a copy of Thorn EMI Super Cubes and Tilt on cassette that is listed on the A8SP site as having no media dumps.

 

I have zipped up the .wav and .cas files for both sides of the cassette, scans of the box (front and back) and the manual, but I don't know where to submit it.  Is it ok to upload the 50MB zip file to this topic or is there somewhere to send submissions to?

 

Thanks

Geoff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, GreyHobbit said:

I have a copy of Thorn EMI Super Cubes and Tilt on cassette that is listed on the A8SP site as having no media dumps.

 

I have zipped up the .wav and .cas files for both sides of the cassette, scans of the box (front and back) and the manual, but I don't know where to submit it.  Is it ok to upload the 50MB zip file to this topic or is there somewhere to send submissions to?

 

Thanks

Geoff

Hi @GreyHobbit, are you able to upload these to me via DropBox? You can then PM me the link and I'll make sure these get preserved in the archive?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Atarigrub said:

Hi @GreyHobbit, are you able to upload these to me via DropBox? You can then PM me the link and I'll make sure these get preserved in the archive?

I've sent you a PM with the link, let me know if there are any problems.

Geoff

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/27/2020 at 12:17 AM, Timothy Kline said:

I think you're correct about the copy protection because I had tried copying one of the copies I have here, and it bugged out somewhere around that point, as I recall.

 

That was quite a while ago. I should try it again, and check the other set, too.

 

In the meantime, here are the images I generated back in 2016...

Fleet System 2.zip 276.48 kB · 29 downloads

 

Did you retry dumping the disks since?

Unfortunately both images in your ZIP are the same and do not contain a program. I suspect both being from disk 2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

The torrent one seems flaky, I got it boot once under Altirra but then it started throwing up load errors on other tries..Your one works fine.

 

Thank you..

 

Edit: Just tried the US car(t) version from the torrent and it only works on an OSB machine, on an XL it just does not work properly..

 

Just tried a few versions and some require 64K, some not XL and quite a few marked fix..I did notice that when the birds come on the screen the noises they make can differ on other versions, some start high pitched some as I remember it..weird..

Edited by Mclaneinc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Mclaneinc said:

 

The torrent one seems flaky, I got it boot once under Altirra but then it started throwing up load errors on other tries..Your one works fine.

 

Thank you..

 

Edit: Just tried the US car(t) version from the torrent and it only works on an OSB machine, on an XL it just does not work properly..

 

Just tried a few versions and some require 64K, some not XL and quite a few marked fix..I did notice that when the birds come on the screen the noises they make can differ on other versions, some start high pitched some as I remember it..weird..

 

There is a story behind that.  The creator of Bounty Bob said that when he created the bird screen he accidently used sound frequencies on the pokey that on a real machine "cancelled" each other out so that there was no sound.   That being said there are a few "flukes" with Bounty Bob and emulation.  For example BB doesn't like stereo sound.  So in some cases (if not all) stereo sound needs to be disabled.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Zarxx said:

Here's mine.

CAS, Manual & Scans

Thanks, @Zarxx. We'll take a look and see how it differs from the current dump in the torrent.

 

And thanks for the interesting information @Shannon. Any chance you remember where you learned this from?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Farb said:

Thanks, @Zarxx. We'll take a look and see how it differs from the current dump in the torrent.

 

And thanks for the interesting information @Shannon. Any chance you remember where you learned this from?

 

If you are asking about the story it was in an interview with the programmer of Bounty Bob.  Bill Hogue.  But I read it years ago so I couldn't say where I  saw it.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone properly preserved an Atari DOS 1.0 "Disk File Manager" disk? (this was the name for the master diskette, pre dos II.)

-Thom

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/1/2021 at 5:37 PM, Mclaneinc said:

The torrent one seems flaky, I got it boot once under Altirra but then it started throwing up load errors on other tries..Your one works fine.

Interestingly, the torrent CAS works fine on real hardware (checked by @Fred_M converting the CAS to WAV and recording to a real cassette) and on the Atari800 emulator. So it seems like we're looking at an Altirra-specific issue.

 

@Atarigrub has identified some differences in the baud rate and gap between data blocks across the different dumps which seem to account for the differences in behavior between our CAS and Zarxx's. We are still trying to determine what would make for the most accurate CAS file.

Edited by Farb
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...