Jump to content
Farb

Atari 8-bit Software Preservation Initiative

Recommended Posts

16 hours ago, gnusto said:

 

Despite the file name instructions, it is not a CLOAD/RUN program, but the more rare "RUN C:" approach.

 

Boot Altirra as an 800/48K/OSB/Basic (probably other configs work). Do NOT have auto load casette set on (System menu/Auto Boot tape should be off). At READY prompt, type RUN "C and hit return twice.

 

Command line flags for above are:

/tempprofile /burstio /siopatch /fastboot /noaccuratedisk /hardware:800 /kernel:osb /memsize:48K /ntsc /artifact:none /basic /cart "<your path here>\Atari BASIC Revision A (1979)(Atari)(US)(400-800).bin" /cartmapper 8 /nocasautoboot /type "RUN `C~~"

 

Huh...yeah, never would have know that one! It surely works. Added to my Atari 8bit cheat sheet for future reference. Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Check the entry "Carrier Force (1983)(SSI)(US)[disk]". I believe it's missing the back side of the disk [Game Program]. Boot the single included and press space bar at main menu. Program will ask for the Game Disk. 

 

Entry "Carrier Force v3 (1983)(SSI)(US)[disk]" does include 2x images (front and back) and have confirmed from viewing pictures from mobygames.com that the disk is a flippy with a front (Scenario) and back (Game) sides.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Check entry "Colonial Conquest v1.0 (1985)(SSI)(US)[disk]". It hangs at boot. Have an .ATR image I picked up from another source that boots fine. Attached for comparison. 

 

Unless noted otherwise I use Altirra 3.90 and have tried every system combo I know of.

 

 

Colonial Conquest v1.0 (1985)(SSI).rar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mikic said:

Check entry "Colonial Conquest v1.0 (1985)(SSI)(US)[disk]". It hangs at boot. Have an .ATR image I picked up from another source that boots fine. Attached for comparison. 

 

Unless noted otherwise I use Altirra 3.90 and have tried every system combo I know of.

 

 

Colonial Conquest v1.0 (1985)(SSI).rar 28.34 kB · 1 download

It works with Altirra 4.00-36, just requires accurate disk timing (3.90 is likely fine). Altirra command line would be:

/tempprofile /burstio /siopatch /fastboot /accuratedisk /hardware:130xe /kernel:xl /memsize:128K /ntsc /artifact:none

 

or you can check on "Accurate Sector Timing" in Altirra System/Configure/Disk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Incidentally as part of my Launchbox front end work I've written a little utility that uses a hash of the disk image to index into a DB to detect any tricky flags like this. It can be translated into Altirra compatibility database (and will be, when done). I wrote it as a separate command line utility so it would also work with atari800 for most cases - atari800 doesn't have all the same configuration choices as Altirra, so sometimes it's a no go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mikic said:

Check the entry "Carrier Force (1983)(SSI)(US)[disk]". I believe it's missing the back side of the disk [Game Program].

Correct. We do not have a good dump of the Game Program side.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mclaneinc said:

Bloody emoji's if I type it properly...

 

Never mess with someone's colon...

C : Enter ### (remember that one?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, gnusto said:

It works with Altirra 4.00-36, just requires accurate disk timing (3.90 is likely fine). Altirra command line would be:

/tempprofile /burstio /siopatch /fastboot /accuratedisk /hardware:130xe /kernel:xl /memsize:128K /ntsc /artifact:none

 

or you can check on "Accurate Sector Timing" in Altirra System/Configure/Disk.

Interesting. It seems to require the siopatch checked on to boot fully. Won't run boot without it. I keep it checked off by default (along with accurate sector timing checked on), because I've had some that won't run with the siopatch checked on and/or without accurate sector timing. Another trick added to the cheat sheet!

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lode Runner's Rescue has 2 disks not just one.

 

The entry incorrectly shows:

Disk 1 of 1, Side A

Disk 1 of 1, Side B (Screen Disk)

 

Should be:

Disk 1 of 2, Side A (Atari Game Editor)

Disk 1 of 2, Side B (Commodore Games Editor and Game Screens)

Disk 2 of 2, Side A (Atari Game Screens)

Disk 2 of 2, Side B (Blank)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Noticed entry "Kampfgruppe v1.2 (1985)(SSI)(US)[disk]" is not a compete ATX set (has an ATX and an ATR). I think I had submitted a full ATX set a couple of years ago, but maybe I missed this one. I had a couple of dozen Atari 800/400 boxed titles in my mostly PC IBM collection that Pete Rittwage, from the C64 Preservation Society, imaged and preserved from the original disks. It's attached for inclusion in your collection.

Kampfgruppe v1.2 (1985)(SSI)[ATX][SM].rar

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Check entry "Panzer Grenadier (1985)(SSI)(US)[disk]". Can't get it to boot in Altirra 3.90. I'm sure there's a trick I'm missing. Anyone get it to boot?

 

I actually own this one in my boxed collection and it was preserved by Pete Rittwage. It's attached. Not sure if the one in this collection is mine. Regardless I can't get mine to boot either! Anyone?

Panzer Grenadier (1985)(SSI)[ATX][SM].rar

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, mikic said:

Check entry "Panzer Grenadier (1985)(SSI)(US)[disk]".

Loads in multiple configs I threw at it, including sio patched and no accurate disk, so basically insta load.

 

Altirra command line:

/tempprofile /burstio /siopatch /fastboot /noaccuratedisk /hardware:130xe /kernel:xl /memsize:128K /ntsc /artifact:none /nobasic

 

I also tried sio patch off, accurate disk, loaded fine.

Edited by gnusto
twitchy enter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, gnusto said:

Loads in multiple configs I threw at it, including sio patched and no accurate disk, so basically insta load.

 

Altirra command line:

/tempprofile /burstio /siopatch /fastboot /noaccuratedisk /hardware:130xe /kernel:xl /memsize:128K /ntsc /artifact:none /nobasic

 

I also tried sio patch off, accurate disk, loaded fine.

I reset all setting and it works. I must have messed something up playing around with settings earlier. All good! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, mikic said:

Noticed entry "Kampfgruppe v1.2 (1985)(SSI)(US)[disk]" is not a compete ATX set (has an ATX and an ATR). I think I had submitted a full ATX set a couple of years ago, but maybe I missed this one. I had a couple of dozen Atari 800/400 boxed titles in my mostly PC IBM collection that Pete Rittwage, from the C64 Preservation Society, imaged and preserved from the original disks. It's attached for inclusion in your collection.

Thanks for pointing this out. In the past, we only included ATRs in the collection for unprotected disks. Now that ATX is a more commonly supported format, I have been slowly replacing the ATRs with ATXs where possible. From the dumps that Pete submitted to us, Kampfgruppe, Panzer Grenadier and Computer Quarterback Teams Disk 1985 still had ATRs. I've updated the first two in the database but we don't have a good ATX for the latter due to disk corruption. I've also updated the database with you as the contributor for Pete's dumps. Thanks again for your contribution!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Farb said:

Thanks for pointing this out. In the past, we only included ATRs in the collection for unprotected disks. Now that ATX is a more commonly supported format, I have been slowly replacing the ATRs with ATXs where possible. From the dumps that Pete submitted to us, Kampfgruppe, Panzer Grenadier and Computer Quarterback Teams Disk 1985 still had ATRs. I've updated the first two in the database but we don't have a good ATX for the latter due to disk corruption. I've also updated the database with you as the contributor for Pete's dumps. Thanks again for your contribution!

It's my pleasure. Pete did all the heavy lifting! I sent him hundreds of disks...I almost felt bad :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I figured out how to get a single sided double density flux image using a8rawconv

 

a8rawconv scp1:96tpi -d mfm "Some Disk.scp"

 

How do you convert the .SCP to single sided double density .ATX or .ATR.  I get errors stating long sectors of 256 bytes.

 

I can go into APE and get an .ATR, but would still like to know how to get .ATX.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, SoulBuster said:

I figured out how to get a single sided double density flux image using a8rawconv

 

a8rawconv scp1:96tpi -d mfm "Some Disk.scp"

 

How do you convert the .SCP to single sided double density .ATX or .ATR.  I get errors stating long sectors of 256 bytes.

 

I can go into APE and get an .ATR, but would still like to know how to get .ATX.

Paging @ijor and @phaeron

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, SoulBuster said:

How do you convert the .SCP to single sided double density .ATX or .ATR.  I get errors stating long sectors of 256 bytes.

You'll have to wait for another release of a8rawconv, version 0.94 was released in August 2020 and the ATX specification wasn't updated to include double density support until October 2020.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am going through my non-original software and found this copy of Snokie.  I noticed that the archive has a non-original source also so I do not know if another non-original helps.

 

  It seems to have copy protection, but I do not know what it was copied from.

 

Snokie.zip

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought that I posted this before, but I guess I did not.  The dumping hardware I am using is a Panasonic JU-475 and using the 0.94 of a8rawconv.  I noticed that the Alt Match Racer was updated 8 days ago with unknown hardware and software and was attributed to me for dump and contribution.

 

Everything I dumped from disk used the above hardware and software.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the Snokie dump and the clarification on the drive hardware that was used. Non-originals are always helpful for verification.

 

I have updated the information in the database (although I used a8rawconv 0.92 to create ATXs from your SCPs).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...