Jump to content
Farb

Atari 8-bit Software Preservation Initiative

Recommended Posts

On 6/26/2022 at 9:42 PM, Zarxx said:

 

Real hardware - PAL - Normal 1050

The Atarimania ATX version hangs on the first protection check, the new one loads fine with no discernible retries like it does in Altirra (PAL). 48 seconds vs 60

This is interesting. In Altirra the check itself still fails with the new ATX.

 

Can you please run the Skew test from my test suite against Transylvania in your 1050 and post the timings you receive?

 

CheckProtection111.atr

 

Examples from Altirra with Transylvania in D2: and five runs of the test:

 

PAL

grafik.png.2df016b39d06a12c94a607c6aff24ea0.png

 

NTSC

grafik.png.3b88b0767ebd95cfb9361c196537fa91.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Zarxx said:

Loads on both 1050 & 810 fine

This is really weird.

I just retried it in Altirra and got reliably lots of NOKs with either 810 or 1050 in standard and full emulation mode.

 

But what I also recognized is that 400s and 800s seem to sometimes match the needed timing whereas XLs and XEs don't (even with OS-B).

I guess that you ran the test on an 800.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/26/2022 at 4:42 PM, Zarxx said:

Real hardware - PAL - Normal 1050

The Atarimania ATX version hangs on the first protection check, the new one loads fine with no discernible retries like it does in Altirra (PAL). 48 seconds vs 60

 

What do you mean by real hardware? You run the image with some SIO device that supports ATX? Or did you write back the image to physical disk? If so, exactly how, with a8rawconv, from the ATX file or from the flux level dump?

 

I am asking because, conceivable, the results you are seeing might be different than using an original disk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, DjayBee said:

My first try in creating a torrent. 🤞

I withdrew that first one because my qBittorrent client had created it with .pad files. Due to this, it grew a lot in size and also some Bittorrent clients refused to start it.

 

I hope this one works better and also for everyone:

a8preservation-220627v2.torrent

 

Edited by DjayBee
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

AHa, another little birthday present, Nice one Djaybee...Always nice to see a new release...Thank you..

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, ijor said:

 

What do you mean by real hardware? You run the image with some SIO device that supports ATX? Or did you write back the image to physical disk? If so, exactly how, with a8rawconv, from the ATX file or from the flux level dump?

 

I am asking because, conceivable, the results you are seeing might be different than using an original disk.

 

Atari 800 PAL, ATX to floppy via a8rwaconv (v0.94). Unmodified 1050 & 810

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DjayBee said:

This is really weird.

I just retried it in Altirra and got reliably lots of NOKs with either 810 or 1050 in standard and full emulation mode.

 

But what I also recognized is that 400s and 800s seem to sometimes match the needed timing whereas XLs and XEs don't (even with OS-B).

I guess that you ran the test on an 800.

 

Few more - 20 run. I have PAL 65/130XE and 800XL if you need more.

 

800 PAL (Icognito - Colleen 48k, OS-B) - 800.TXT

800 PAL (Icognito - Colleen 48k, OS-B) - 1050.TXT

800 PAL (Icognito - XL-XE, 1088k) - 800.TXT

800 PAL (Icognito - XL-XE, 1088k) - 1050.TXT

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DjayBee said:

I withdrew that first one because my qBittorrent client had created it with .pad files. Due to this, it grew a lot in size and also some Bittorrent clients refused to start it.

 

I hope this one works better and also for everyone:

a8preservation-220627v2.torrent 354.33 kB · 12 downloads

 

Hey is this working for you guys? I'm having trouble connecting. Might just be me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FULS said:

Hey is this working for you guys? I'm having trouble connecting. Might just be me.

It works, there is only a single seed at this point. I'm attaching a machine to the torrent that has a lot of bandwidth and will leave it seeding for the foreseeable future.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, E474 said:

Isn't it supposed to include a tracker URL?

It helps but isn't actually required. If the original seed stays on, or DHT is on and a few people pick up, it still downloads but will be slower to start up for new people joining. I'm assuming Djaybee is keeping his original going and even in the time we've been typing here it's gone from 1 to 4 seeds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, DjayBee said:

I withdrew that first one because my qBittorrent client had created it with .pad files. Due to this, it grew a lot in size and also some Bittorrent clients refused to start it.

 

I hope this one works better and also for everyone:

a8preservation-220627v2.torrent 354.33 kB · 35 downloads

 

Works, too! Please see above. Again, thank you soooo much. 🙂 Great pleasure, summer is safe. 🙂

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Slightly confused, looked at both torrents and one is 2.1G and the other 3.53G ?

 

Just saw above post, and spotted the pad files in the torrent...Switched to smaller one :)

 

Will be seeding in a couple of mins on the 2nd torrent, will leave machine on seeding for the day and the same 2mozz but I can't do it all night as the old gas and electric prices are silly now and we are limited income (still want to help though so it will be on when my machines on during the day..)

 

Happy downloading..

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For anyone who prefers to download apart from torrent, the latest A8Preservation file is available at this link:

 

 
Notes:
* The torrent was 7zipped into a single archive.
* The torrent file is also available at this link.
* I formerly hosted the latest release of a8preservation at atari-owner.com in a subfolder, but have since moved those files to the Atari-Cellar.
 
 
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, www.atarimania.com said:

Could we have a list of the changes or at least know when the files were last updated?

27.06.2022 like the name of the torrent file suggests. ;)
Farb made many changes during the last weeks.

 

This is also the state on which the upcoming update of my archive.org crack-repository will be based on.

Disclaimer: I have not started to process it. Therefore I have no ETA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, DjayBee said:

27.06.2022 like the name of the torrent file suggests. ;)
Farb made many changes during the last weeks.

 

As everything is dated June 28th or 29th, there's no way to know when the last modification for a given title took place unless you unzip the file, nor is there information on any added software.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got nothing trying to download the torrent and gave up after 3 hours.

 

The file download provided by @Timothy Kline closed the connection every 500MB (exactly, so probably a setting in ownCloud), but I used uGet, which allows autoresume. The error listed was:

 

Message: HTTP/2 stream 0 was not closed cleanly: PROTOCOL_ERROR (err 1)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, www.atarimania.com said:

 

As everything is dated June 28th or 29th, there's no way to know when the last modification for a given title took place unless you unzip the file, nor is there information on any added software.

We aren't tracking individual changes at the DB level. Easiest thing is to do a text diff between the new DAT file and the previous one to see what has changed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is this a complete archive with everything put out by a8preservation or just new/changed stuff since the last archive?

 

Thanks for doing this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, bfollowell said:

Is this a complete archive

Yes.

Releases are always complete archives.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, bfollowell said:

Is this a complete archive with everything put out by a8preservation or just new/changed stuff since the last archive?

 

Thanks for doing this.

Every release is a complete replacement for prior ones. Things get added, modified and removed as we learn new things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, E474 said:

I got nothing trying to download the torrent and gave up after 3 hours.

 

The file download provided by @Timothy Kline closed the connection every 500MB (exactly, so probably a setting in ownCloud), but I used uGet, which allows autoresume. The error listed was:

 

Message: HTTP/2 stream 0 was not closed cleanly: PROTOCOL_ERROR (err 1)

 

Doh!

 

I'm very new with using OwnCloud, so I appreciate your heads-up on the error and I'll check on how to fix it when I get home this evening.

 

--Tim

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...