IGNORED

floppy emulators?

Atari-Collector

Found this on ebay

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/3-5-1000-Floppy-Disk-Drive-USB-emulator-Simulation-1-44MB-Roland-Keyboard-HS-/221601321059?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item339877d063

And was wondering if anybody has tried these with Atari or and any other type of classic computer like the TRS-80?

They have a standard 34 pin connector, the question would be is if they can be configured to appear are a SS-SD or SS-DD for a older machine.

I know about the HxC, I have one already, but these caught my attention with the low price.

Those types emulate a floppy drive at a lower level and are only good for computers and devices that have the controller chip at the computer side, e.g. ST, Amiga, BBC etc.

In theory it might be possible to put something like this inside a 1050 or XF551 but it wouldn't be all that worthwhile, the IO speed would barely improve - only the seek and rotational latency delays would be eliminated.

To emulate Atari drives you have to process the high level commands coming over SIO - most devices have the added advantage that they also allow the faster IO modes for 4x or better performance.

Fair point - I didn't notice it only did 1.44MB.

There are 720K versions of the Gotek available as well, but they tend to be more expensive...I guess because there's a smaller market for them.

There's another thread around here somewhere, or maybe at Atari Forum, noting that there's an Amiga compatible firmware that can be flashed into these things. Regardless, they're apparently a PITA to set up and use compared to HxC.

Lotharek's Rev. F floppy emulator is cosmetically the closest thing to the Gotek, but it costs £102.99 EUR. I had one of the uncased HxC models some time ago, but sadly circumstances at the time forced me to sell it on.

Here's a 720KB model, quite appealingly priced:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-5-SFRM72-FU-DL-ABS-720KB-USB-Floppy-Drive-Emulator-Machine-for-Industry-/321188946516?pt=UK_Computing_FloppyDiskDrives_SM&hash=item4ac85a6254

Edited by flashjazzcat

Well it was worth a thought I guess. I figured it'd be a long shot. But if the day comes I ever have a 1050 or xf551 with a bad drive in it I may still get one to try. I already have an SIO2SD on it's way, started getting an SD card ready for that, but that's a whole different topic..

Every one of the emulators I have seen so far use 512 byte sectors.

That pretty much limits their utility to [not most 8 bits]. As James points out, it may possibly be used with an ATR8000 in CPM mode. There are utilities included to access a

number of formats. It could probably be made to use with Indus CPM too with a lot of effort. At that it would have to be used as a 720k floppy with 512 byte sectors.

Everything else would need a hacked ROM and/or controller. IIRC the 1.44M floppy uses a 500kHz clock which is twice as fast as a conventional Atari floppy. For instance the Ajax chip in an ST has to run at twice the clock rate of a stock chip to get 1.44 meg.

My kind of trivia :) there is something like ~'Type II' mode for 5.25" 1.2 Meg floppies that can be made to work as 8" double sided 77 track disks recognizable by MyDOS and SD<?>. What seems to be less well known is that some 3.5" drives supported the 8" mode too. I wasted a week or two trying to figure out the pads to jumper and short, pins to connect, but came up dry for a modern floppy I bought at Fry's. I doubt if anyone will ever come across a floppy emulator that supports this mode, but if you do, please give me a heads up.

Since our drives typically only expect 128 or 256 byte sectors, ~1 meg is about the best we can do w/o some hack. For instance you should be able to hack a 3.5" drive into thinking it is an 8" drive with 80 tracks w/o too much trouble. Trouble comes when you ask the people to add 8" emulation in their emulators! I doubt if anyone of the people selling these would do it for a small market such as ourselves. I hope I am not confusing the issue for everyone as much as I am confusing myself! In order to get 1.44 megs of data on a 3.5", you have to read and write the data twice as fast as our controllers can do it. Flat out top speed we can get is 8" mode with 300kbits/sec which gives you 26 sectors 256 byte sectors per track. You can wish manufacturers support all modes but in practice they don't seem to. We are mostly stuck with what we have and what they make.

With the low-level type floppy emus, they generally need to have support for each given format, so you'd need to check for e.g. 18 * 128 byte sector FM data, 26 * 128 byte MFM data etc... Atari used somewhat nonstandard floppy formats, the older IBM 5.25" drives could do r/w to Atari single-density but probably nobody else used that format which means emulation might ignore it.

Similar type of situation for doing mounts and such using controls directly on the device, would vary among them somewhat but overall similar to the SIO2SD.

Unsure if any of them would allow commands coming from the host to do stuff like image mounts - the luxury of the SIO types is since it's a higher level emulation you can fairly easily throw in extensibility that will often work with little extra software at the host side.

Edited by Rybags

Here is firmware and a detailed description of what needs to be done to turn one of these devices in to an Amiga floppy emulator: https://cortexamigafloppydrive.wordpress.com/

As soon as my Gotek arrives from China I will be attempting this on my Amiga 2000.

In reference to whether you should get the 720kb model or 1.44mb model, at least in the context of the Amiga, it doesn't really matter, since the firmware gets flashed anyway:

"The Gotek floppy emulators can be found everywhere. Since all Gotek drives are based on the same hardware, any version should be compatible.
For reference i got the drive for 24.5Euros/33$ (Shipping included) on Ebay. I also bought a different model, without the 7- segments display & buttons from another place to check if there is some differences. There is no difference and the firmware is working on both models without any modification."

Edited by gamer-stu
  • Like 1

• 4 years later...

I know most of the thread is old, but regarding Goteks, it's worth looking into FlashFloppy, which is an alternative firmware developed for Gotek drives and their clones. It supports a lot of more advanced hardware options like LCD and OLED displays, rotary encoders for image selection, etc. It also supports many different image formats including .ATR, and supports different densities as required. I've no idea if it would work to replace an Atari mechanism, but if it uses a Shugart-style interface, I don't see why it wouldn't work.

As said though, a dedicated SIO-orientated device will likely offer better performance. I have a Biggus Dickus from Lotharek, which is basically an SIO2SD with a larger display and a nice case, and it's excellent.