IGNORED

reviving an old 386dx33

lwizardl

Sound blaster doesn't need drivers. You just need to set the blaster in autoexec.bat like set blaster=a... i. d. On the dots you fill in the adres set by jumpers on board, the irq and dma.

For setting the jumpers you can look here http://pbclub.pwcsite.com/PBInfo/Jumpers/Sound%20Card%20Jumpers/Creative%20Labs/CREATIVE-LABS-INC-Sound-card-SOUNDBLASTER-2-0-CT13.html

For the mouse, i think you can use any dos mouse driver. Put it in the autoexec.bat and you're set.

Edited by Seob

That SoundBlaster is rare, its an original 8 bit model. I believe it it the first one SoundBlaster made. I would sell it to someone in need on EBay for their PC/XT rig and get yourself a cheap 16bit SoundBlaster.

I do have the original drivers for that card, as it was my first sound card.

They include a dos wav player, and windows 3.1 drivers

Sound blaster doesn't need drivers. You just need to set the blaster in autoexec.bat like set blaster=a... i. d. On the dots you fill in the adres set by jumpers on board, the irq and dma.

For setting the jumpers you can look here http://pbclub.pwcsite.com/PBInfo/Jumpers/Sound%20Card%20Jumpers/Creative%20Labs/CREATIVE-LABS-INC-Sound-card-SOUNDBLASTER-2-0-CT13.html

For the mouse, i think you can use any dos mouse driver. Put it in the autoexec.bat and you're set.

awesome man, I will give that a try

That SoundBlaster is rare, its an original 8 bit model. I believe it it the first one SoundBlaster made. I would sell it to someone in need on EBay for their PC/XT rig and get yourself a cheap 16bit SoundBlaster.

Yeah I am not sure if I will need this card in the future or not, I do plan on having a couple retro systems for playing old games on. I have a couple large boxes of old PC and server parts. I know I have about 5 different ATI Capture cards also with the dongles.

Here is a Zip of it if you need it.

Awesome man thanks for that, I will save that so I can use it.

found a keyboard to use on the system, doing cleaning on it because it is filthy. Tandy 1000 keyboard from the Tandy 1000se. While searching my storage I also found the manual for the se, and a bunch of 16bit SoundBlaster Live cards but those all should be pci based which this system does not support

James

It's not that rare, but kind of cool. It's the most common 8-bit Sound Blaster sold... it's actually the Sound Blaster 2.0

It has an onboard pre-amp with volume knob, and has slots for the CMS chips, which would support CMS compatibility. But it's missing the CMS chips, and the EPROM for it (most don't have that).

The best 16-bit one that DOESN'T require drives is the C1740 or something, I think... basically the Sound Blaster 16 ASP (but could also be ordered without the ASP chip).

• Like 1

That mouse card is a bus mouse card, not a PS/2 card. You'll have to buy a bus mouse for it.

That video card is one of the best 2D video cards for DOS. Lucky score. Fast memory throughput means smooth scrolling.

You really want to hang around Vintage Computer Forums and VOGONS to get up to date on out of date PC stuff.

Edited by Hatta

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's not that rare, but kind of cool. It's the most common 8-bit Sound Blaster sold... it's actually the Sound Blaster 2.0

It has an onboard pre-amp with volume knob, and has slots for the CMS chips, which would support CMS compatibility. But it's missing the CMS chips, and the EPROM for it (most don't have that).

The best 16-bit one that DOESN'T require drives is the C1740 or something, I think... basically the Sound Blaster 16 ASP (but could also be ordered without the ASP chip).

Another example of confusing value for rarity.

If it was truly that rare, it wouldn't have been so well supported for its day.

I have an old 8-bit SoundBlaster in my Solaris machine. Works a treat! I am probably not alone in this around here, but I have some old ISA cards which might be useful to you, and if so they are yours. When I got out to my storage room this weekend I will make a quick catalog of what I have. I know for certain I have a couple of ISA network cards, video cards, and what-not. I think I even have one of those CPU over-drive modules.