IGNORED

The problem with 2600 racing games

godzillajoe

I must say, considering all the "simulation" games, from buses, to transport trucks, to the classic flight sims; I'd imagine having a car that could stall, take REAL damage from minor collisions like bent axles and whatnot and other things that would make it feel like you REALLY racing a car and needing/learning skills beyond just negotiating turns would be something that at least a group of people would appreciate.

Shameless Self Promotion Ahead: :-D

I haven't posted on here in a long time (I need to change that!), but I actually wrote a piece recently that is relevant to this thread for a car blog I contribute to:

http://bangshift.com/general-news/remember-ancient-atari-game-dragsters-still-playing/

I picked up a Colecovision Expansion Module #1 recently, and while testing it, I was playing Dragster. That's when I realized that it is still one of the best Drag Racing games in existence. As simple as it is, it takes a lot of skill to hustle that drag car down the track. I honestly sat on the floor, smashing that reset button every 10 seconds or so trying to cut a better time and master my launching skills. There are a few Drag Racing games out there, but this one actually holds up well, even in the current gaming era.

Pole Position and Enduro are also standouts in my book. Pole Position is a surprisingly decent port of the arcade classic, and I really like the varied environments in Enduro.

• Like 1

I haven't played Dragster in a few years, but I believe that there's a joystick shortcut that you can use instead of hitting the reset button. Handy if you're trying to beat your best time.

Dragster, along with Triple Actions Biplanes for the Intellivision, are two classic multiplayer titles that I bet just shine with the right player to go up against. But sadly, I've never played with someone that appreciated either and wanted to learn the fairly simple controls.

• 2 weeks later...

I've always thought most driving games on the 2600 were really well done for what they are. All things considered (being an early system and all), hard pressed to find real "fault" with most anyway. Some of my all time favs include:

Pole Position - game is so well done, we'd actually play this on our Uncles' Colecovision through the Atari adapter BITD. lol

Sprintmaster - okay with the joystick, but should have had the Indy 500 rotary controller option built in.

Enduro - excellent racer as-is.

Street Racer - might be another "slam grandma from the rear" game, but besides beating time, that really was the 'challenge' back then. Not slamming grandma of course, but getting around cars FTW!

Indy 500 - pretty darned good and need to try the hacked courses version soon.

Night Driver - it is what it is... close arcade port actually. lol

Dodge 'Em and Slot Racers - fun for a few rounds anyway.

Spy Hunter and Bump 'n Jump - okay, we're stretching a bit as far as "racing" games go, but excellent for what they are play really well.

For whatever reason(s), never got into Motocross, Motorodeo or Motocross Racer. Might have to revisit them.

Funny you should say that Pole Position is a great game. You're not alone with that view but ... I always thought it sucked massively. It was the last 2600 game I bought for the system back in the day. Must have been 1984. I was so disappointed by it. It was far too easy and after a few plays I never loaded it up again. I guess I had the same feeling towards it as many had with Pac-Man.

It certainly wasn't even close to the quality of Enduro Racer.