IGNORED

RMT Patch 8

analmux

And another one pulled through Patch 8 , single VBI and 15kHz only.

It seems, faster updates can kill some fluffiness in sounding. So while Drums get better with faster updates, some other instruments won't.

Edited by emkay

Killer bass kicks in at the 0:07 mark. I like that. The high part in the beginning (I think track 3) is a bit grating, not sure if it's slightly detuned or just a rough sound.

The high part is a full octave higher than with standard RMT . Since it's 15kHz based, it's a method to keep the distance of the notes as close as possible . I'm also satisfied with the low "grate" that is reached even at 1x VBI.

Gen 2 is still a hard bread, as I don't like it for most melodic stuff. But here some changes, with some variations there... it also makes the tune more fluent. And, well some enhanced "snare" there ;)

Dare I say it, 0:36 onwards has a SID sound to it. That's not a putdown. Very different and non-standard PoKey sound.

• Like 2

And another one pulled into P8 ;)

To me, the most interesting part is to check what could be done with one POKEY at 1VBI programming, because that's the "sound" that would fit into games and demos...

Killer - so many new sounds from PoKey after all these years.

Is there anything Patch 8 provides that could make it even better, or give an interesting variant?

Patch 8 is optimized for 15kHz and some 16 Bit sounds. The tune is done , using the 4 channels. It would be needed to remove a voice for that. On POKEY it will possible sound worse then.

I'd like to check the commando tune first, to have a more completed one. 3channels were sufficient.

But, who knows, if there's another idea around the next corner :)

Patch 8 is optimized for 15kHz and some 16 Bit sounds. The tune is done , using the 4 channels. It would be needed to remove a voice for that. On POKEY it will possible sound worse then.

I'd like to check the commando tune first, to have a more completed one. 3channels were sufficient.

But, who knows, if there's another idea around the next corner :)

Maybe it's your opportunity to do a little work with stereo on the side then. ;)

• Like 1

A "wild commando" version, see it as an inspiration helper ;)

If using such heavy filter sweeps and portamento FX, there have compromises to live with. And, well, keep in mind, many of those "portamento" sounds were done using filter sweeps, as the 15kHz resolution is lower...