IGNORED

Best 2600 Games for Kids

adamchevy

I am trying to help my kids get a start with the 2600. My kids are 8 and 5 years old. So far they have really enjoyed Keystone Kaper, pacman, Galaxian, and Outlaw. If you have any other suggestions I would greatly appreciate it as I am relatively new to the 2600 library.post-36990-0-43531700-1423364104_thumb.jpg

There are 4 Sesame Street titles, though you would need the controller and overlays. Also Mickey Mouse Sorcerer's Apprentice and Pigs in Space, though those are a little more expensive.

Hangman is cool and will help them with vocabulary. Video Pinball should keep them busy for hours. Superman is fun and they'll probably like the ability to fly from screen to screen. Any of the sports games if they are into that will entertain them if they play against each other.

Phil

• Like 1

My 7 year old is on a Demon Attack kick. Also loves Jungle Hunt, Adventure, Breakout. My younger ones like Combat, Air Sea Battle, Haunted House.

I agree with sloth-machine that the controls seem to be a defining factor. They love the swinging action on Jungle Hunt with just a push of the button, as opposed to Pitfall where there's a lot going on and it's too easy to die.

• Like 1

Cute picture. Is that a Genesis controller? I didn't realize the cords were that long!

If you have a set of paddle controllers I'd recommend Kaboom. It's a blast :) They would probably also like Circus Atari and Warlords.

Thanks for the recommendations. I have tried Kaboom but my paddles controllers make the game feel buggy and unsmooth. I'm not sure if the paddle controllers are supposed to have a smooth motion or not but mine make the game feel jerky . I have an extender on my controller cable. Sega Genesis controllers are a bit large for kids hands. I dont care for the original controllers , I might try some wicos from the good things I've heard. I've never thought of haunted house as a kids game but from what I've read and seen on the internet it looks good. I've thought about freeway a few times , most the Activision games are awesome on the 2600.

Thanks for the recommendations. I have tried Kaboom but my paddles controllers make the game feel buggy and unsmooth. I'm not sure if the paddle controllers are supposed to have a smooth motion or not but mine make the game feel jerky . I have an extender on my controller cable. Sega Genesis controllers are a bit large for kids hands. I dont care for the original controllers , I might try some wicos from the good things I've heard. I've never thought of haunted house as a kids game but from what I've read and seen on the internet it looks good. I've thought about freeway a few times , most the Activision games are awesome on the 2600.

they are supposed to operate smoothly .... good guide to cleaning the potentiometers

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/184296-slowcoders-guide-to-cleaning-up-your-2600/?p=2316794

Video Olympics, & Warlords paddle games have 3&4 player modes

Space Invaders level#33 has co-op mode & quite fun

Indy 500 requires driving controllers & one of my favorites ...may require a bit of cleaning as well

• Like 1

Take the paddles apart and then pry the four metal braces off revealing a greasy, messy, old pot. Clean everything off thoroughly and reassemble! They will work perfectly after this! You will need a flathead screwdriver (to pry, make it small..), a philips head screwdriver to disassemble, something to clean it all off with like 70% or higher alcohol and some swabs or something like it. When reassembling make sure everything lines up properly and the knob is restricted on both sides to it's limits. There are graphical explanations of the process with more detail all over the internet!! Don't give up on those paddle games just yet!!

• Like 1

Thanks for the info on cleaning the controllers, I'm really looking forward to some kaboom and other paddle games. My kids think the paddle controllers are awesome , I'm going to hunt down all of those paddle games mentioned. I didn't know smurfs was on the 2600, I loved that cartoon as a kid.

• Like 1

My son (4) loves to play Space Invaders and Pole Position by himself, but if I'm playing he always wants me to play E.T., Dig Dug, or Pac-Man.

I also have a picture of me when I was 4 playing Dig Dug so it seems to have staying power. haha.

yup we're gonna need side by side pics

k thx

Recently came upon barnstorming! I think my kids are going to love it!

I would think hunting for them together will make it extra special ;)

• Like 1