IGNORED

Tempest and its reputaion as one of the greatest games ever.

AtariORdead

Welcome to the Jaguar forum, a place where a remake of an 80s arcade game is considered far better than Super Mario 64. Feel free to browse our other threads where people argue whether or not Tomb Raider could've been possible on the system; or why the Jaguar, clearly the next gen 64-bit powerhouse it was advertised as, failed in the marketplace, despite its obvious dominance over every other console of the time. Check your sanity at the door and be sure to specify your straight jacket size.

Ok. I'll bite :P

While there is a fair amount of speculation or hypothetical threads surrounding the Jaguar as to what "could have been" (just like with almost any console/platform that people are passionate about because they enjoy discussing it), I wouldn't exactly say it's fair to compare the likes of an arcadesy-space shooter to a 3D platformer. Then again, would it be fair to object in saying any one game is better than this game or vice-versa, when it all is subjective to personal opinion anyway, despite what camp anyone may sit in and when ultimately you make up your own mind as to what you like best?

With that said, you bring a valid point to the table. I'm too open minded to say Tempest 2000 is without a doubt the most amazing or greatest game of all-time as anyone with that sort of mentality about this game (or any game for that matter) is or will be sorely missing out on enjoying many other great games or things in life. It definitely is one of my favorite games though and I would easily place it in my Top 10. That's not to say it's better than Super Mario 64, or any other game, just that personally it's one of my favorites that I still play to this day. Yoomp! on the other hand is another addictive tunnel game that I absolutely love. Great music, simple but addictive gameplay and far better than some cutting-edge, hogwash 3D texture mapped polygon filled world Mario and Luigi game. Pshh... these plumbers swear they're everything. :D

PS - My jacket size is medium but I prefer large, because comfy.

post-985-0-09203100-1423786734_thumb.jpg

;-)

• Like 5

There are very few games ever made that I absolutely never get tired of playing... Tempest 2000 is one of those games, and for that, it will always rank in the very top of all time for me personally.

Yes yes yes! Apparantly this viewpoint is tantamount to saying Plan 9 From Outer Space is the greatest film ever made though. Because its insane to believe a Jaguar game could possibly be one of the best ever made.

What are we talking about? Tempest or Tempest 2000? Two different games entirely.

Tempest 2000 is an interesting piece of gaming history. It is a fun game akin to playing backgammon with someone that has never played before. Most who sit down with it enjoy the game for what it is: an arcade like platformer that has the potential to be enjoyed without watching 5hr of animation, before the game play begins.

How does it hold up against similar games of 1994? Donkey Kong Country and The Need for Speed both came out in the same year as Tempest 2000. All three were phenomenal games at the time. The Need for Speed now suffers from contemporary driving physics and visuals. Donkey Kong Country is a game that is akin to Tempest 2000 in being unique of its form, during the time it was released. The limited technology available produced something unique that in twenty years will continue to be enjoyed.

How does Tempest 2000 hold up today? It is still fun. The lack of contemporary visuals adds to the enjoyment of the game. Could it be made better today? That is a tough question. I'd compare classic games that stand the test of time to grand building of history: they could be made better visually today, but the integrity of such a production may contemporary suffer with modern tools and zeitgeists.

One of the top games of all time? That is a bold statement. In the entire Jaguar library, Tempest 2000 would be the one game that represents the system for the best that it is, in terms of longevity post death. For the Jaguar, it is the sole game that can take the Pepsi challenge.

It is one of the best video games of all time, Tempest 2000. Perfect visuals, perfect gameplay, perfect music. Its long, hard, unique. Its amazing and never gets old. It does have a steep learning curve though and takes a long time to get really good at it. I just uploaded the best Tempest 2000 video ever too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqmKA_NB4MM

The game could do without level 64 though.

Tempest 3000 is underrated too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WybfVkW3uI

Might be worth noting Tempest 2000 is just Jeff's personal take on how an update should be handled.I'll try and dig out the feature in ACE magazine where the Bitmap Bros detailed how they'd of updated it.Pre-Jaguar era, if i have'nt already put it up on here....memory is going as to what i have/have'nt passed on to be shared on here.

Minter did a great job with T2K.

It and AvP are the only reasons I keep a Jag. AvP did not age well, but I think how it was a simulation is worth remembering.

T2K is just fun every once in a while.

How did AvP not age well? :) I mean obviously you cannot compare it to modern FPS'. The game is still amazing and atmospheric. To me it is the most fun when using the cheat codes for the Marine. As the Predator its a perfect game, no cheats necessary. As the Alien, well, I plain just don't like the Alien campaign. But the Marine and Predator scenarios more than make up for it. What an incredible massive game as well.

I also think AvP puts Alien Trilogy to shame... The framerate is not perfect in AvP but its plenty fine still. I love how realistic the movement is actually. As the Marine, sure he is kinda slow, but in real life in military gear with weapons, you aren't that quick. Also, in real life situation like that with intense fear, your vision would not be perfect anyway. :) I think the game is super super realistic and atmospheric and it still holds up great today. There aren't many games as scary as AvP. Maybe none, actually. Play AvP with the sound cranked at night, alone, it can hardly be matched.

• Like 6

I too found Alien Trilogy PS1 very dissapointing after loving Jaguar AVP so much.UK Press like Mean Machines were passing off GCI shots as in-game (see what i mean about not trusting UK press?) in early days, saying it'd make Jag AVP look like the Wizzard Of Oz etc and when i finally got my hands on it (day 1 PS1 purchase) nit was an average FPS with some very blocky Aliens milling about.

PS1 Alien Res (played with a mouse!) was by far the better Sony Aliens game and the atmosphere was superb.In my humble view, it and Jaguar AVP were THE best Alien games of that generation, only bettered by PC AVP.

Alien Iso..different kettle of Xenomorph though (in a good way).

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Whilst i knew someone had ported Tempest 2000 to the A8, had previousily never seen the port done to the Commodore A1200:

Seems this ended up on a CU Amiga Cover mount CD by accident, coder (Elton Bird) sent the prototype version to them, they assumed it was a P.D game and rest as they say is history.

Welcome to the Jaguar forum, a place where a remake of an 80s arcade game is considered far better than Super Mario 64. Feel free to browse our other threads where people argue whether or not Tomb Raider could've been possible on the system; or why the Jaguar, clearly the next gen 64-bit powerhouse it was advertised as, failed in the marketplace, despite its obvious dominance over every other console of the time. Check your sanity at the door and be sure to specify your straight jacket size.

Super Mario 64 = remake of an 80s arcade game, so what's your point

anyway, Nintendo knew pack an average game with the name Mario with the console and it'll sell, especially in US...easy money

Edited by high voltage

Super Mario 64 = remake of an 80s arcade game, so what's your point

anyway, Nintendo knew pack an average game with the name Mario with the console and it'll sell, especially in US...easy money

Seriously? Again, I'm not personally a fan of the game since I get lost (as in don't know where to go after a while) in it, but to say it was anything other than a AAA, ground breaking title is being ridiculous. Other platforms would kill to have this type of "average" game.

• Like 3

Ahhh, but if things had been different SM64 would'nt of had quite the impact it did on N64.I know of at least 2 studios who were working on similar if perhaps not quite as ground breaking 3D games for other platforms, but games were sadly lost for various reasons.

History could of been very different.

I also know several reviewers, inc C+VG who admitted at a later date, they over-scored the game, but these are discussions for another day and another forum :-)

Ahhh, but if things had been different SM64 would'nt of had quite the impact it did on N64.I know of at least 2 studios who were working on similar if perhaps not quite as ground breaking 3D games for other platforms, but games were sadly lost for various reasons.

History could of been very different.

I also know several reviewers, inc C+VG who admitted at a later date, they over-scored the game, but these are discussions for another day and another forum :-)

But history wasn't different. Super Mario 64 was the perfect launch title, designed to its host platform's technical capabilities and, perhaps even more importantly, its controller. Perhaps of equal importance was being an early true 3D game that actually worked most of the time. Naturally, another factor in SM64's favor was the dearth of post-launch titles. For many, Super Mario 64 was all they had for quite a while, which certainly elevated the importance of that title, but also highlighted how good it really was, particularly in its depth of content. I discuss that game in the same chapter of "Vintage Games" as Tomb Raider. Both were equally important breakthroughs in establishing 3D/polygons as the next big thing. Contemporary reaction to both of these games and the effect they had on the industry can't be overstated.

By contrast, Tempest 2000 was also a great game, but certainly didn't break ground in any real way, and, based on the numbers, didn't compel people to buy its host platform. Neither is out of place on "best of" lists, but both get there in very different ways.

Oh, trust me, my post (in jest) was'nt designed to take away the importance of SM64 for the N64, after the dissapointing Shadows Of The Empire and the prices of things like Turok etc, it was the essential shot in the arm.

I just wonder what would of happened if the planned 32 Bit 3D games had landed 1st, but then i love looking at the alt./what if scenario's.
I actually loathed Tomb Raider, found the controls horrendous, was'nt until Legend on PS2? i got into it, Wipeout on PS1 again, ruined by controls, was'nt until 2097 i 'got' the game and whilst i was an N64 owner, never took to SM64, things like Goldeneye showcased the hardware far better for my personal tastes.