IGNORED

I joined the jaguar cd club today!

sirlynxalot

Delivered to my doorstep in a blizzard, sat in the snow for who knows how long, but it was supposed to be broken anyway. That's what the seller said and that's the reason I got an "ok" deal in the realm of jaguar CDs ($120).

Initially it didn't work and gave me red screens several times before finally things aligned correctly, the visualization started and it began reading a music CD.

Now it's worked every time I've tried to do something with it. Playing music cds, booting an extremely ratty condition copy of blue lightning that came with it, and my game carts. Cool, it seems to be fully functional!

A few questions:
-Is the lid supposed to move up and down smoothly?
-Is the lid supposed to close down on the clasp relatively smoothly? Mine doesn't really want to close down on the clasp at all, so I press in the open button to slide the clasp out of the way, push down the top, and then lift off the button, putting the clasp in place.

This hunk of plastic looks awesome in real life. It is dark and brooding on my shelf, the pointy 3dness of the whole setup reminds me of some 90s style alien technology. The cd unit fits perfectly onto the console and it all really seems to be one unit.

I'm pretty underwhelmed with Blue Lightning, but I burned a copy of Tube SE onto my last blank CDr and am enjoying that quite a bit more, although playing some of the more intricate levels makes me dizzy.

It also seems like I will have to pick up the memory unit if I realistically want to play through the campaigns for Battle Morph, Hoverstrike, Blue Lightning and others.

• Like 3

It won't hurt to take the Jag CD apart and give the PCB that connects to the Jag a good cleaning on both ends. The lid doesn't really close that smoothly, be sure you're pressing down where it says close here or whatever the wording is. Mine kinda sticks a little bit.

I'm pretty underwhelmed with Blue Lightning, but I burned a copy of Tube SE onto my last blank CDr and am enjoying that quite a bit more, although playing some of the more intricate levels makes me dizzy.

It also seems like I will have to pick up the memory unit if I realistically want to play through the campaigns for Battle Morph, Hoverstrike, Blue Lightning and others.

Congratulations on the Jaguar CD player pick-up and welcome to the Cub! :grin:

i was never a fan of Blue Lightning on the Jag. Having said that, i never gave it a proper go (which i intend to remedy eventually).

There are some great additions to the Jag library you can now check out. Apart from the aforementioned titles, its also cool to see what direction Atari and third party dev's were heading in, like Black Ice White Noise, American Hero, Native demo, etc. As for the Memory Cart i reckon its a must. Especially if you want to save your best runs on CD games. Also, one of my favourite CD games in terms of FUN is Vid Grid -one of the original pack-in games :)

Anyhow, congrats on the relatively cheap purchase and hope you enjoy what the Jag CD library has to offer - now and in the future ;)

Welcome in the not so small club :)

Your Jag CD will offers you the opportunity to play the commercial games released in CD by Atari like Myst, World Tour Racing, Primal Rage and some others but moreover you will access to more recent releases like Orion's game (Elansar, Philia...), Robinson Requiem, playable protos like the awesome Soulstar or Native and last but not least: more than 60 CD of homebrews from Reboot, Dr Typo, Groovybee, Orion and many others.

Most of them are games but also demos and Cinepak videos.

Recently, Cyrano Jones ports of Atari ST games are one more possibility to play new games as most of them can be burned on CD-R.

There are alternatives we can discuss but nothing easier to use than inserting a CD and pushing the button of the console and since Reboot creatd ULS tools it has never been so simple to burn homebrews on CD-R even if not all is possible.

The homebrews were actually a key reason why I thought the Jag CD would be an interesting item to pickup. It's probably been asked before, but is there any relatively up to date list anywhere of homebrews for the Jag CD? I searched the forum and google a bit yesterday and found some older lists but noticed some of these lists included homebrew that was previewed but never released, linked to broken webpages, didn't necessarily have information on the most recent stuff, etc. Coming into it this late in the game, it seems a little bit catch-as-catch can ;)

An interesting thing happened yesterday, I was playing Raiden through the Jag CD's port, and after playing for about 3 minutes, the game reset the system and the system's video output shut off for a few seconds - then it all started up automatically and the game loaded fine and I played for awhile until I had enough. I didn't reseat the cart or anything. Any thoughts on whether this is due to a connection between the Jag CD and the Jag, or the game cart and the Jag CD? Or something else? I don't think I've had a cart reset on me mid game using just the cart in the base console before.

Edited by sirlynxalot

The pinned homebrew thread above these posts was well looked after for a while, but there's just been too much released to keep on top of it I expect.

Austin had Raiden crap out on him while streaming the other week. I don't think it's something particular to Raiden, probably just more to do with the age of all this stuff.

Edited by sh3-rg

is there any relatively up to date list anywhere of homebrews for the Jag CD?

Click on the link below this post: it is a topic I opened in a french forum to present all the homebrews I successfully burned on CD-R.

I won't pretend it has everything but you will find the links for the rom files and the DVD box sleeves and Cd cover for a lot of them as you can see below:

NKTJ.jpg

N.B: the jewelcases are for demos as for most of the time, almost all the games and Cinepak videos have their DVD box.

I have not yet posted on this forum or here the latest deco I made (Out Run, Metro Cross, Klax, Fighter, Llamatron) but that will come probalby next week as I will be on holidays :D

Edited by Felyx
  • Like 3

Incidentally, I saw mention of this as a potential cool thing to have back in a circa 2011 thread - is there any homebrew interface for jag cd, whereby homebrew or commercial roms could be selected and loaded from the CD to a skunkboard? Or jag cd homebrew interface/menu to select between multiple jag CD homebrews mixed onto one disc?

Flashing the Skunkboard from the actual Jaguar itself is possible. To do this, you would have to put the files on the CD in 1mb chunks, load each chunk in and flash that, because there simply isn't enough RAM to load a 2mb ROM or a 4mb ROM in and flash it in one pass.

In theory, it should be possible to create a CD with all the ROMs on, split into these smaller files, and have a menu - not quite an EverDrive, but a Skunk/CD combo to accomplish the same thing. Also, no 7k/sec nonsense with dodgy USB hubs this way, either.

You'd probably hit the 99 track limit, though, without some clever file handling.

Not on my project list, but as I said above, should be possible.

• Like 1

Be aware that for the cool ST ports from Cyrano, their final versions can be too large to fit the Jag RAM and then the Jag CD will be totally useless for them.

Despite a CD-R capacity is over 600Mo, the Jiffi tool allows to load from the CD to the Jaguar RAM which is very small ( 1 Mo or is it 2Mo? but no more than this)

For roms above 1Mo and below 4Mo the only solution is probably the Skunk but I wonder how boring it would be to load a 4Mo file in the Skunk?

I went to print dvd cases today at staples. The quality was good, but I found to my annoyance that 8.5/11 paper isn't suitable for printing dvd covers. Even though the online tool for submitting a print job indicated that the entire graphic would fit on the page, the printer at staples seemingly truncates a few millimeters from the top and left side of the graphic. This is a minor annoyance, but it does irk me when it cuts of the top of the letter "T" on the front cover of a game, or cuts off the start of the text on the left side of the back. I think I'm going to have to go back and print them all again on 11x17 (the next size up) just to get the extra 2 millimeters ;) Ah well, I need to make a trip to do this again anyway to print graphics for UGCs for the cartridges.

Edited by sirlynxalot

I went to print dvd cases today at staples. The quality was good, but I found to my annoyance that 8.5/11 paper isn't suitable for printing dvd covers. Even though the online tool for submitting a print job indicated that the entire graphic would fit on the page, the printer at staples seemingly truncates a few millimeters from the top and left side of the graphic. This is a minor annoyance, but it does irk me when it cuts of the top of the letter "T" on the front cover of a game, or cuts off the start of the text on the left side of the back. I think I'm going to have to go back and print them all again on 11x17 (the next size up) just to get the extra 2 millimeters ;) Ah well, I need to make a trip to do this again anyway to print graphics for UGCs for the cartridges.

There is a larger, slighly thicker paper that I also use for Universal Games Cases, it is a little more pricey, but makes a better more high quality insert for the DVD cases. You also have to "train" the people at Staples to get the sizes/cuts right. Once you get one or two guys there who know what you want, you are golden.

I can ask for the specific paper type if you want... looks like what you would get with a commercial release. Maybe better than the flimsy crap you get these days (fumes as he thinks about manuals going digital...)

• Like 1

Congrats on the purchase I guess. I don't get why you bought a broken one since it sounds like you didn't know how to fix it. Glad to hear it fixed itself.

Thing is, it's not rare to find an eBay seller who doesn't know a working Jaguar CD unit from a dirty one from one with a squished little hub thing from a defective one. Some people think it's worth a roll of the dice.

Just because some eBay seller couldn't make it work, doesn't mean it's actually defective beyond a little TLC.

• Like 2

The Jag CD has a reputation of being very unreliable and there a part of truth with that.

Now you have to know that the most common (defect with laser transport) can easily get fixed and the fix is cheap in cost.

Mine was out of order when I bought it and for few bucks I could buy a new laser transport on eBay, coming from China and replace it bymyself and since that it works well (lets knock on wood :D )

Do not stay on the bad impression given by the angry nerd: working Jag CDs exist in true life :D

Asking questions about the lid makes me sound incapable of fixing a jag cd? ;) Ah well.

I've been testing out soul star lately. The game crashes after entering the mothership on the third or fourth scenario, but I read this old description which seems to allow you to go further?

I have good news for you! You now have in your possession a MUCH more playable game. I've been playing this game a lot lately as part of rag project I'm working on, and I finally found a way to guarantee getting past this corrupted level 100% of the time (unless of course you get killed in the game, I just mean it won't crash on you anymore if you follow my instructions). I was going to save this "gem" for a revelation in an article I'm doing on the game, but I debating whether it would be ethical for me to publish an article on the game when it's not even an officially released product. (yet pray.gif)

So, in the spirit of JS2's aniversary and Jay's and other's generosity, I've decided to tell JS2 members now. The "trick" is that when you encounter the CPU in the mothership in the forth (and last) phase of level one of the game, that you stay as far away from it as possible (once you have engaged it in mortal combat), and as high in the air as possible (holding the "C" button and moving up and down allows you to change the ships height/elevation). When the CPU sends out it's "spinning ring" shoot missles (the "A" button changes weapons) at it to destroy it (See the SegaCD strategy guide for Soul Star on game strategy). The CPU does pull your ship toward it so you have to constantly pull back to remain at the maximum distance possible. If you manage to stay away from it and destroy it, the game will not crash at this point. Of course you still have to activate the gate(s) and fly through one as the mission briefing describes. But you will be able to continue the game. PLEASE note though, that if you choose the easy gate, you will see the FMV briefing for the next level, but it will crash right after that. If you choose the medium gate, you will procede to the next "water world" level, which comes first on medium, then it will crash after this level as the game attempts to load the same level it crashes on in the easy gate. But, if you choose the HARD gate, as far as I can tell, the game continues even further (I've made it to 3 aditional levels or through about 8-9 phases). I presume that once the point in the HARD difficulty gate/game that you will go to the level that crashes on Easy, it will crash then as well on HARD. But at least there is much more of a game for you to play now, and the levels are FRICKEN AWSOME!!!!!!! rocker.gif
Occasionally the game may crash while playing it beyond the CPU phase, but it seems stable about 90% of the time (ignoring non-game effecting corrupted graphics on some levels). Enjoy SOUL STAR!!

I'm not entirely sure what the description is saying to do. Is it suggesting I can destroy the mothership that I enter, with missiles? What is this aspect of branching paths for easy, medium, hard difficulty? I stayed as high as possible and the mothership still sucked me into it, no sign of any choice of paths, and then the game crashes. What am I missing :)

EDIT: never mind, my copy crashed often before the 4th scenario after you go into the mothership. I see the description above refers to the part after you enter the mothership, which my copy just let me get to.

Edited by sirlynxalot

A few questions:

-Is the lid supposed to move up and down smoothly?

-Is the lid supposed to close down on the clasp relatively smoothly? Mine doesn't really want to close down on the clasp at all, so I press in the open button to slide the clasp out of the way, push down the top, and then lift off the button, putting the clasp in place.

Hard to say... I've owned two Jaguar CDs... one that I bought from Go Atari back in the day, and one that I bought on eBay that was new (shrink-wrapped... definitely looked new).

The one from Go Atari runs smooth as glass... the lid closes confidently, doesn't feel cheap and flimsy, and looks and feels solid.

The one I got off eBay feels cheap... almost as if every piece of plastic on it is actually thinner. The lid kind of wiggles, and honestly feels like something that was made in China and bought at the dollar store.

Both worked... the one from Go Atari is super-quiet, while the one from eBay makes a loud noise every time it reads... makes the Dreamcast seem mute.