+Adam+

Hobgoblin 2 - a new game

The software sprites engine was deeply improved, as you can see on XXL's video from the previous post.

Great work guys!

Can you share details about sprite engine ?

Is it using preshifted sprite shapes, some kind of sprite cache or something else ?

Thanks all for your comments :)

But I'm not sure, if it is a good choice to play music in a video, the creator cannot equalize?

I'm sorry, but the last part of your message ("cannot equalize") is a little bit unclear to me and XXL. What did you mean?

Great work guys!

Can you share details about sprite engine ?
Is it using preshifted sprite shapes, some kind of sprite cache or something else ?

Thanks, Vladimir :)

Those sprites generally have just 2 movement phases, the second one is preshifted (by half of character).

Edited by +Adam+
  • Like 2

14 at the same time supported sprites. where 7 is the bullets or items size 8px (2bytes) x 8 py (16 bytes) and 7 sprites sizes 12px (3bytes) x 2; 3; 4; 5 bytes (up to 40 bytes) - max (120bytes). yes preshifted shapes and masks.

modded engine alow to:

- control the player while jumping,

- shoot while on the ladder,

- interaction with the background,

- temporary immortality,

- flashing items,

- respawn sprites,

- less stringent collisions,

- schema for sprites (defined tracks, strength, flying, interaction, walking, etc.),

- schema for weapons (attributes - power, time, flight path - depending on who fired, special weapon - depending on who fired) etc.

... in the video was not possible to introduce all combinations because there are too many :-)

• Like 9

...player and missiles are not used in your example (I did not check)?

If you knew about PMg , you'd recognize the bands at the left and the right side of the screen, filling the 32 byte gaps.

Thanks all for your comments :)

I'm sorry, but the last part of your message ("cannot equalize") is a little bit unclear to me and XXL. What did you mean?

Do you think , it's in any way possible , to have music like the one in the video playable in the game?

Do you think , it's in any way possible , to have music like the one in the video playable in the game?

There are plans to use SIO Cart in Hobgoblin 2. AFAIK it could play any music during gameplay.

Edited by +Adam+
  • Like 2

better. xc12 has poor sound quality.

in SIOCart we can control volume of AudioIN, which and how to play music (thanks new SIO Command)

Edited by xxl
  • Like 2

already present... while pressing key combination: hey... not so fast!
  • Like 3

Looks great! I know these games are known to be hard as hell to play but hopefully the gameplay is balanced enough to offer enjoyment while playing not just amazement of the pretty graphics. Thats my biggest gripe of tons of atari 8 bit games that look awesome and the coders did an great job on sound and graphics but playing it offers little enjoyment because you die in 6 seconds 3 times and game over.

better. xc12 has poor sound quality.

in SIOCart we can control volume of AudioIN, which and how to play music (thanks new SIO Command)

How will the source of the sound be generated?

source is WAV file, played out by Atmega32 (controled by SIO command) through AudioIN pin in the SIO plug.

source is WAV file, played out by Atmega32, controled by SIO comand.

So, playing everything during gameplay is possible and using some OPL(3) is just some understatement :)

Seems, that is one of the missing extensions to the A8, as the A8 has been build for such stuff.

Some Cart back in the early 90s would have been a great thing, but today it feels a little strange.

The 1st Quake has been delivered with the Audio Track on CD.

Graphics 9 environmental lightning, real music played.... nothing more to say ;)

Last Ninja 2 ? What's that ? ;)