IGNORED

We want to create a StackOverflow for retrocomputing

JCCyC

(Not sure if this is the correct forum for this topic; if not, please advise.)

I'll bet lots of people reading this have used Stack Overflow or one of its sister sites. It's a network of communities in a Q&A format, divided by subject. It's incredibly useful, and its power to retain useful information and Darwinianly separate it from fluff is astounding. When a subject proposal gains critical mass (measured by followers and a cache of meaningful questions) it gains its own site. Let me assure you beforehand that this is a unique format that is in no way a competition to web forums like this, mailing list, newsgroups, social networks etc.

The retrocomputing proposal is there (see link above), but until a few days ago it was spinning wheels. This state of affairs greatly disappointed me. I ask you to log in there and help it happen. You can login with your Google or FB account. And, if mamory doesn't fail me, Yahoo!.

As of now, what I need is a pool of meaningful questions, with 10 or more upvotes. Each login can upvote 5 questions at most.

Cheers,

Juan

Edited by JCCyC

Well, its an ok idea. I'm sure there will be some money involved; advertising or whatever, but its a lot of work and hosting costs something. I have to say I doubt there is enough traffic to support it; current web sites seem to handle the need adequately. I mean, maybe 0.1% of all programmers are involved with retro stuff. The thing that drives stackoverflow is work, not just random interest in computer programming.

Not just AA, also several other genre specific forums. Given the example questions, it seems the retro computing section would consist as much of general questions as specific development questions. I don't know if the users at Stack Overflow who have a retro computing interest feel foreign to join other, existing forums and mailing lists and thus look into the option to have people come to them instead of otherwise. Since there is no monopoly on retro computing related questions and discussions, everyone are free to run their business as desired but most people likely already have found their niche and means of discussing.

Heck, not even Vintage Computer Forum which is a long term (10++ years) giant in broad computer related matters covers every possible matter or that every possible person interested in retro computers and programming specifically are members of that forum. Yet that forum tends to rank very high on Google searches, in particular for those general questions that are not programming specific.

Stack Overflow has content management systems web forums don't. Wouldn't it be great for there to be one canonical thread for one question, instead of answering the same one over and over?

Remember when we had FAQs? Wasn't that so much more convenient to refer to instead of having to search inside forums cluttered with chit-chat? Stack Overflow is more like that than a web forum.

It's a fantastic idea actually, and you guys should try it out before dismissing it as unnecessary.

• Like 2

Stack Overflow has content management systems web forums don't. Wouldn't it be great for there to be one canonical thread for one question, instead of answering the same one over and over?

Remember when we had FAQs? Wasn't that so much more convenient to refer to instead of having to search inside forums cluttered with chit-chat? Stack Overflow is more like that than a web forum.

It's a fantastic idea actually, and you guys should try it out before dismissing it as unnecessary.

Precisely. To my continued astonishment, they managed to invent a web community format that's unlike anything that existed previously. Its usefulness doesn't mirror that of anything else, really.

And it case that sounded like shilling (yeah... it does, I admit it) I have no relation whatsoever to the people responsible (Joel Spolsky and his business). I just think they're ridiculously awesome.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...