IGNORED

Sears Video Arcade II

RnRFun

Hello! Been lurking here a bit and find the game inventory very handy, as well as the forums.

I am cleaning out my stuff and have a Sears Video Arcade II- does it have the same power specs as the 2600?

I also have a 5200 I need to test out.

I have an Atari branded power supply, labeled AC Adaper Model No. C017539. Google says it's for the Atari Modem- would this work on anything else?

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help

Edited by RnRFun

• 3 weeks later...

IIRC an Odyssey 2 or NES power supply works fine with the Video Arcade II as well.

Oh god NO! Do NOT use an NES AC Adaptor!

The NES Wall wart supplies AC ONLY. The NES has a Bridge Rectifier in it to knock it to DC. Plugging this AC supply into a system that expects only DC (Sears VA 2), WILL cause problems and may even cause fire.

Oh god NO! Do NOT use an NES AC Adaptor!

The NES Wall wart supplies AC ONLY. The NES has a Bridge Rectifier in it to knock it to DC. Plugging this AC supply into a system that expects only DC (Sears VA 2), WILL cause problems and may even cause fire.

The VAII I've used with O2/NES power supplies begs to differ (since mine didn't come with a power supply either), but okay. :) Better safe than sorry I guess.

I use a 9v DC power brick with mine. I was advised by people smarter than me that the AC bricks of the time were time bombs that waste power. Getting a modern switching DC brick saves money and the AC ones fail soon enough anyway. Since changing my system has worked fine.

Most aftermarket bricks for the NES are DC also, for the same reason. Yes, they are interchangeable.

The general rule is that most computer devices use DC inside since microchips almost always require that. This means the device at some point changes the AC to DC and also means that giving it DC sooner is safe. There may be exceptions but it's almost always correct with things like game consoles. I'm not sure why they gave them 9v AC bricks at all actually.