IGNORED

Magic Knight!

CyranoJ

Hit a couple of sites...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stormbringer_%28video_game%29

In game music was composed by David Whittaker

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Whittaker_%28video_game_composer%29

The music might possibly have it's own ".dw" formatted music files...

http://www.filedesc.com/en/file/dw

Are you able to extract the .dw music files? Looking at this last page there seem to be ways of converting the .dw music files to .xm or even .mod files.

Edited by doctorclu

http://www.exotica.org.uk/wiki/David_Whittaker_(format)

Couldn't find a file format description, but there's a Linux player, maybe the sources could be helpful...

EDIT: no dice. The player appears to run the original music code in an lightweight Amiga emulator based on UAE (like SNDH players do, basically). So the only way to convert this seems to be reverse-engineering the binary.

Edited by Zerosquare

Aside from hearing the audio cockups in the playback (my bad sorry :) ) it seems the item selection menu when you try to interact with an object is either not being rendered or behind the other pages. It does seem to pop up in the background when you select something and there is another dialog. So perhaps it's rendering to a different screen or something?

• 11 months later...

Interestingly this wasn't the final version of the game. The final version had the sound effects in and also the banner at the top of the screen displayed articles from the "local newspaper" which contained clues to the game, the save game issue was also fixed. In a rush to get the game out for the new Mastertronic ST budget range the none finished version was sent to manufacturing by mistake.

Originally the ST version was commissioned by Maxwell Technology, a short lived games company spun up by an ex-mastertronic director and David Jones the original Spectrum magic knight programmer. After a short legal discussion between mastertronic and Maxwell technology it appeared that Mastertronic did own the right to all formats, unfortunately they wanted the game completing in a very short window, 6 weeks.

They then commissioned the other two games in the series but after realising they had release the last game first they killed off plans to release the other two, even though the 1st one was almost complete.

The code is a little scrappy, not only was it done in a hell of a hurry but it was the first major 68000 project i had taken on.

I can't believe this is still around almost 30 years later, keep up the good work :)

• Like 5

Interestingly this wasn't the final version of the game. The final version had the sound effects in and also the banner at the top of the screen displayed articles from the "local newspaper" which contained clues to the game, the save game issue was also fixed. In a rush to get the game out for the new Mastertronic ST budget range the none finished version was sent to manufacturing by mistake.

Originally the ST version was commissioned by Maxwell Technology, a short lived games company spun up by an ex-mastertronic director and David Jones the original Spectrum magic knight programmer. After a short legal discussion between mastertronic and Maxwell technology it appeared that Mastertronic did own the right to all formats, unfortunately they wanted the game completing in a very short window, 6 weeks.

They then commissioned the other two games in the series but after realising they had release the last game first they killed off plans to release the other two, even though the 1st one was almost complete.

The code is a little scrappy, not only was it done in a hell of a hurry but it was the first major 68000 project i had taken on.

I can't believe this is still around almost 30 years later, keep up the good work :)

Hey Andrew! Thank you for posting that :)

Any other games of yours you'd like me to take a stab at Jaguar ports?

• Like 4

Also, the ST version along with boxscans etc can be found here

• Like 2