IGNORED

Not quite Dactyl

CyranoJ

Here's a new version:

• Press 7 for ST sounds
  • Press 8 for A8 sounds
  • Splash screens

Joust.ABS

Here's the A8 sounds I matched up - missing sounds are replaced with the ST version. (only the title music I think, which the A8 doesn't have)

From A8.zip

Edited by CyranoJ
  • Like 3

That was cool. :D Took me a moment to get the Atari-8 sound set to kick in, but in my case I plugged in a second controller and was able to switch from 7 to 8 and back and forth effortlessly. Was fun to hear the comparison between the ST and Atari 8.

When I got the Atari 8 bit sounds going most of the time I forgot I was playing on a Jaguar and felt like I was playing on the Atari 800/5200. That is, until I played against the Dactyl. I was trying to defeat that bird to see if the Dactyl explode sound would trigger, however I have yet to beat the Dactyl on the ST engine.

Flap is awesome. Your bird steps, does not get into run. I was about to think this was a ST engine thing, however this was a me thing in how I created the step sample:

post-4709-0-87939900-1447148499_thumb.png

Look at all that dead air. So I made a Step2 to cut a lot of that out in you are interested in trying it:

post-4709-0-98756200-1447148834_thumb.png

Actually I see the Trot sound file was actually used, so I trimmed the Trot file down and attached a new version of that as well.

I checked the other sound files and they were amazingly trimmed down considering the "stone knives and bear skins" I was using. Story behind that, for sound capture I have a PowerBook G4 Mac with a sound in port. Great to porting records and what not. That has OS 10.4 on it. However my MacBook Air (OS 10.11 great machine but sadly no sound in port) has a really nice version of quicktime that I am still learning that shows the wave form and all. Learned that earlier in this message. ;)

Pick up is great, enemies teleporting is great. Did the ST version only have one version of teleport? (checks the ST sound set) yep, appears so. Generally you would have the teleport sound for you and one for the enemy. Oh well. :D

I could not get the collide sound (where you just hit lances) to trigger, but I did have an odd occurrence where I hit someone, they went pow, and we were both still alive. Tried to recreate that but no luck on that.

Yeh, being that the Atari 8-bit was the version I like the most, I'm pretty happy with this version of Joust. Amazing what sound can do for the overall experience.

For fun for you and other Joust fans I'll share what sound files I found of other platforms.

As I said earlier, the Atari 2600 while not much to write home about really came close in some sounds considering. (2600Joust.zip)

And I started to collect an Arcade sound set (Joust.zip) These were taken from various places so the quality varies. It is also incomplete. The "pow" sound is missing for one. If we were curious with playing with an arcade set I could set up Mame or even my favorite emulated Arcade Joust for the early 68030 Macs which was spot on. Play that, get a sound set. The Dactyl had quite a terrifying sound in the Arcade (though the Atari 8 was terrifying enough). :D

2600joust.zip

joust.zip

Step2.wav

A8-OF-Trot.wav

Edited by doctorclu

Those really are pretty neat for a 2600! :)

I remember the 2600 version was actually quite good. It was the silver label towards the end when they were doing amazing things with programming. The egg wave had the eggs in the air though.

I was showing off to my wife this morning before work Joust and why I was up at 3 in the morning. Didn't say it before but the Atariage screen and new Joust title screens are a nice touch.

Getting into the gameplay which was catchy and almost demonstrated too long I did notice the collide sound (hitting of lances) activate. Looks like the lava monster might be currently using that sound.

Oh yeah! Those Pokey sounds are so much better than the ST sound! Thanks again CyranoJ and those who did the samples. I'm loving it...except...no PAUSE?! My fingers need a rest after a while...

Oh, and are the 7 and 8 keys supposed to work only from the second controller? That's the only way they change for me, couldn't change them at all until DoctorClu mentioned using the second controller...no problem though, just wondering.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

@CryanoJones: questions regarding ST ports.

Have the ports you have done so far been decide mostly on personal preference and requests, or as much to do with the ease of the port? Could you port most any ST game to the Jag if you desired too, or are there some restrictions on what you can port?

Pretty much anything with enough motivation.

Sometimes because I love it (eg, Gauntlet II, Rick Dangerous, Joust)

Sometimes because I hate you all (eg, Outrun)

:)

I see, thanks. In that case, I do have a request(s) that you may or may not consider someday, but I will just put them out there. I would love a port of Crazy Cars 2 and one of the Lotus Turbo challenge games, preferably the last one (3, 4?), and Armageddon(?, IIR the name correctly, the 3D polygon game where you can use tanks and planes and helicopters). In any case, thanks for all the ports, I was enjoying Joust, Treasure Island Dizzy and Rick Dangerous just yesterday. :thumbsup:

Did you ever get Outrun to a playable condition (well, as playable as it was on the ST)? I thought what you posted was an early attempt and not complete enough to play...not that I cared or would play it myself if it was finished. ;)

A few of your ports just seemed...strange...to me considering the vast library to choose from. "...I would have started with Lasers, day one"-Evil (Time Bandits) :evil: (I think I'll add that to my sig)

Edited by Gunstar

A few of your ports just seemed...strange...to me considering the vast library to choose from.

I could see that too. But then if given a chance there were really off games I liked on the Atari 800 that most people would be like "Why do you like that game?" Why? For me it might have been those were the games I could afford back in the day and so I played them till I liked them, or "just liked it".

I could see that too. But then if given a chance there were really off games I liked on the Atari 800 that most people would be like "Why do you like that game?" Why? For me it might have been those were the games I could afford back in the day and so I played them till I liked them, or "just liked it".

I'm a big A8 fan too, and yeah, there are some strange titles I like on it too.

I've played a few hours of Joust. Been fun. :D Yes, the pokey version of the Joust sounds come very close to the arcade. Didn't realize how close they came till I saw this video comparing many console versions:

So anyway, I was not able to figure out what sound did what with the ST sounds because they were so basic. Once we got the pokey set in there I was able to figure out what I believe the sounds do.

0a - Flap

0b - Collide (currently in place is the POW! with Pickup sound)

0c - Brakes (I believe this is right.)

0d - (Self Teleport) (this was a silent 7 second file. I BELIEVE this is a teleport sound)

Oe - opening music

Of - Trot (I've created a better edited version of this)

01 - Extra life (Right now we have the lava grab SQUAK sound)

02 - Dactyl Explosion (I was able to defeat the Dactyl!! This one is right)

03 - Dactyl

04- Teleport

05 - Kill /pow

06 - Lava Grab (Right now we have the collision sound)

07 - (Bump) (Right now when you bump it is a quiet sound_

08 - Pick up

09 - Skip

JStart- Start

I've made another Pokey set (attached) if you ever want to try another crack at this.

Other suggestions:

1) Pause

2) The reset with # and *

The Jaguar ability for highscore save would be nice (EEPROM), but that is only because I plan to make a nice EPROM burned cartridge of this for myself at some point because I am just that big of a Joust fan and already loving this version.

I've been trying to set up a Arcade version. Still want to make samples of that pretty soon.

From A8 2.zip

• Like 1

I've played a few hours of Joust. Been fun. :D Yes, the pokey version of the Joust sounds come very close to the arcade. Didn't realize how close they came till I saw this video comparing many console versions:

So anyway, I was not able to figure out what sound did what with the ST sounds because they were so basic. Once we got the pokey set in there I was able to figure out what I believe the sounds do.

0a - Flap

0b - Collide (currently in place is the POW! with Pickup sound)

0c - Brakes (I believe this is right.)

0d - (Self Teleport) (this was a silent 7 second file. I BELIEVE this is a teleport sound)

Oe - opening music

Of - Trot (I've created a better edited version of this)

01 - Extra life (Right now we have the lava grab SQUAK sound)

02 - Dactyl Explosion (I was able to defeat the Dactyl!! This one is right)

03 - Dactyl

04- Teleport

05 - Kill /pow

06 - Lava Grab (Right now we have the collision sound)

07 - (Bump) (Right now when you bump it is a quiet sound_

08 - Pick up

09 - Skip

JStart- Start

I've made another Pokey set (attached) if you ever want to try another crack at this.

Other suggestions:

1) Pause

2) The reset with # and *

The Jaguar ability for highscore save would be nice (EEPROM), but that is only because I plan to make a nice EPROM burned cartridge of this for myself at some point because I am just that big of a Joust fan and already loving this version.

I've been trying to set up a Arcade version. Still want to make samples of that pretty soon.

I don't know what happened with the Atari 5200/8-bit version in that video, but the colors were not screwed up with those green colors on the platforms. they are the usual brown/redish/orange shades like at the very bottom where the lava is in that video version.

Here we have some captures of the arcade sound effects. I took these from the Midway Collection Volume 1 for the Dreamcast.

So far here is what we figured out or have in theory...

0a - Flap

0b - Collide

0c - Brakes

0d - (Self Teleport)

Oe - opening music

Of - Trot

01 - Extra life

02 - Dactyl Explosion

03 - Dactyl

04- Teleport

05 - Kill /pow

06 - Lava Grab

07 - (Bump)

08 - Pick up

09 - Skid ??

JStart- Start

I've added some sounds that we have identified but happened in the arcade version, like the weird background noise of the lava. There is also a egg cracking sound.

As I really listened to the sounds the Bump and Skid sounded a lot alike. Could be the same sound. What I was wondering is if 09 is the egg cracking sound effect since we have not identified that yet.

For the music file I took the segment that follows where you enter in your high score initials. There was not any opening music.

Attached are the Joust Arcade sounds (emulated on the Dreamcast)

And we have an updated set of the Atari 800 Joust with the egg cracking sound effect added. I listened to this set again and the bump and skid sounds are the same. I think the egg cracking sound will be 09 or possibly 07.

Look forward to see what we get from this. :D

Joust Arcade Sounds-.zip

From A8 3.zip

• Like 2