IGNORED

The Walking Dead - Who likes this game?

Torr

Meh... I've played a little more, but still...

I really like the Sam & Max games that TellTale made, but The Walking Dead?...

Like I said, The Walking Dead is as removed from Sam & Max as Call of Duty is from Doom/Duke Nukem 3D. Same genres, yet still worlds apart.

Sam & Max is a Point & Click in the same manner as the old greats... The Walking Dead just isn't to me.

I liked how in Sam & Max you could get out an explore and end up headed in the opposite direction you should be going. Gathering clues by listening to people speak, asking them to repeat things if necessary, examining inventory, etc... I even got stuck a few times (Trying to figure out how to appease that little twerp that would only vote for his brother in the Idol contest of S1E2 comes to mind) rather than The Walking Dead's style of you can pretty much only walk to the next destination. The only thing that had me puzzled in the least was breaking the car windows without making noise, and even then I was only stuck for 5 minutes, tops, but I WILL admit, I DID have to stop and think for a minute, sadly it was the first time I had to do so, and very little of it!... and those time limits on dialogue options! Nope. Not for me.

Edited by Torr

People respond, so I respond to them... a correspondence if you will.

If it irks you so much that I dislike the game, YOU could just as easily stop reading the thread! I'm pretty sure it doesn't automatically pop up on your desktop each time someone posts here.

I find it funny that there can be debates as to whether Kaboom!! is a masterpiece or shallow game, whether the VCS can compete against a modern system in today's world, etc... but once I mention I don't like The Walking Dead I'm repeatedly told to "Just Shut Up" basically.

Is this the kind of silliness that goes on over in Jaguar sub-forum? Never been there but from what I hear it's a place where people can't be civil and things just to into flamewars over nothing. That seems to be what happening here.

It's very simple, I don't like the game, I asked people to tell me what they DO like about it. I've gotten some honest answers, but if all you want to do insult/attack me for not liking it, then just take it elsewhere.

Edited by Torr

It doesn't get harder, so give up hope on that.

I love the game. I want more games like it. I would love to have like a combination of The Walking Dead and Heavy Rain. In fact, playing these games makes me so excited for the future of interactive storytelling that I sit around imagining how awesome some of my favorite TV shows would be if they got this treatment. Helix . . . Dexter . . .

I read TWD comics way before the TV show or this game. What I love about the comics is that they really give you a reason to ask yourself "What would I do in this situation?" And at least for me, it isn't prompting me to ask "Could I load the shotgun fast enough to save myself?" Instead, I ask myself "What would happen to my marital relationship," or "Could I handle the stress of having my path forward be completely unclear?"

I dunno if the game really handles choice THAT well, but it does a nice job of giving you the illusion of choice and presenting you with a challenging character to control and make decisions for. I prefer controlling Lee to C in TWD2 because he is so deep and nuanced. I had lots of challenging questions to ask myself as I played. For these reasons, I felt like the game was an even better adaptation of the comics than the show, and I absolutely loved it.

• Like 2

People respond, so I respond to them... a correspondence if you will.

If it irks you so much that I dislike the game, YOU could just as easily stop reading the thread! I'm pretty sure it doesn't automatically pop up on your desktop each time someone posts here.

I find it funny that there can be debates as to whether Kaboom!! is a masterpiece or shallow game, whether the VCS can compete against a modern system in today's world, etc... but once I mention I don't like The Walking Dead I'm repeatedly told to "Just Shut Up" basically.

Is this the kind of silliness that goes on over in Jaguar sub-forum? Never been there but from what I hear it's a place where people can't be civil and things just to into flamewars over nothing. That seems to be what happening here.

It's very simple, I don't like the game, I asked people to tell me what they DO like about it. I've gotten some honest answers, but if all you want to do insult/attack me for not liking it, then just take it elsewhere.

lol Reading waaaaaaay to much in my comment man, it was as simple as what I wrote, nothing more, nothing less. I did not insult OR attack you in any way. :roll: It does not "irk" me, you can go around in circles with it until the cows come home lol. Just seems pointless in my opinion is all I was getting at and I still feel that way.

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer
  • Like 1

It doesn't get harder, so give up hope on that.

I love the game. I want more games like it. I would love to have like a combination of The Walking Dead and Heavy Rain. In fact, playing these games makes me so excited for the future of interactive storytelling that I sit around imagining how awesome some of my favorite TV shows would be if they got this treatment. Helix . . . Dexter . . .

I read TWD comics way before the TV show or this game. What I love about the comics is that they really give you a reason to ask yourself "What would I do in this situation?" And at least for me, it isn't prompting me to ask "Could I load the shotgun fast enough to save myself?" Instead, I ask myself "What would happen to my marital relationship," or "Could I handle the stress of having my path forward be completely unclear?"

I dunno if the game really handles choice THAT well, but it does a nice job of giving you the illusion of choice and presenting you with a challenging character to control and make decisions for. I prefer controlling Lee to C in TWD2 because he is so deep and nuanced. I had lots of challenging questions to ask myself as I played. For these reasons, I felt like the game was an even better adaptation of the comics than the show, and I absolutely loved it.

That's a sensible response to my original post

He (a) responded with whether he like it or not and (b) gave reasons.

Suggesting the thread just end (IE Shut Up) and not responding directly to anything I said or giving personal insight; just telling me not to play, doesn't answer anything or contribute anything intellectual to the thread, it's just adding more shit to the pile.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/25483-overrated-and-underrated-atari-games/

Here's a thread with 6 pages of people with very polarizing views as to what games are good on the VCS.

Some very popular games are called "overrated" by many people... did the people who like said games get all defensive/offensive over hearing that a game they like is disliked by someone else? No.

I don't understand why that can't happen here.

But go ahead, I guess I'm coming out the closet here and we have a "don't ask, don't tell policy"

"If you don't like it, FINE, but for god's sake keep it to yourself, we don't wanna hear that kinda talk around here"

Edited by Torr