IGNORED

Game Sack on Youtube

mbd30

This is a pretty cool series. Both hosts are knowledgeable video game geeks and they cover a lot of obscure stuff that you might not have heard of. Their choice of games for various topics are often totally unpredictable, honestly expressing their own tastes rather than pandering to what is popular. Check out their picks for best arcade to home conversions for example. You expect to see something like "Street Fighter 2' as a number one pick, but instead it's "Super Monkey Ball".

I once posted a comment on one of their videos a year or so ago, correcting a very small thing that they said that was factually incorrect. I don't even remember what it was. I didn't say it in a harsh way at all, just as an FYI well those two guys (not to mention their "fans") attacked me like I put puppies in a wood chipper. I was pretty surprised based on the laid back way they are in their videos.

• Like 3

I can take it or leave it. I do like that they don't seem to pander to popularity, but the videos tend to be downright boring; with themselves having no real personality, scripted dialogue (not that scripts are bad, but you shouldn't SOUND like you're reading off a piece of paper) and they often come off sounding like their reading instruction manuals when describing a game as opposed to actually describing the game. IE Explaining button controls and the point of the game rather than describing why they like it or what makes it fun/good.

*Their Top 10 16-Bit Games video is a good example of not pandering, and they even kinda mention how they know there gonna get flamed for leaving obvious titles off... but as well, ranking Mickey Mouse: Castle of Illusion HIGHER than Super Mario World is just... off... it's almost like they were TRYING to create a messed up Top-10. I may be a "Sega Fan-Boy", but even I know that Castle of Illusion, while great, doesn't compare to the openended-ness and replayability of SMW. Maybe that's just my opinion though!

Edited by Torr

I can take it or leave it. I do like that they don't seem to pander to popularity, but the videos tend to be downright boring; with themselves having no real personality, scripted dialogue (not that scripts are bad, but you shouldn't SOUND like you're reading off a piece of paper) and they often come off sounding like their reading instruction manuals when describing a game as opposed to actually describing the game. IE Explaining button controls and the point of the game rather than describing why they like it or what makes it fun/good.

*Their Top 10 16-Bit Games video is a good example of not pandering, and they even kinda mention how they know there gonna get flamed for leaving obvious titles off... but as well, ranking Mickey Mouse: Castle of Illusion HIGHER than Super Mario World is just... off... it's almost like they were TRYING to create a messed up Top-10. I may be a "Sega Fan-Boy", but even I know that Castle of Illusion, while great, doesn't compare to the openended-ness and replayability of SMW. Maybe that's just my opinion though!

It's a good show if you're mainly watching for interesting information about games.

In a Youtube world full of over the top Nostalgia Critic and AVGN imitators, it might be just as well that the hosts are bland. It's more about the games than it is about them. And when they do try to be funny, the attempts at humor often fall flat. It's better when they don't try to have personalities.

Also they do usually give their opinions about games when they're describing them... eg. commenting on the quality of the graphics, music, whether the game is fun, etc. So it's not just dry technical info.

Edited by mbd30

I once posted a comment on one of their videos a year or so ago, correcting a very small thing that they said that was factually incorrect. I don't even remember what it was. I didn't say it in a harsh way at all, just as an FYI well those two guys (not to mention their "fans") attacked me like I put puppies in a wood chipper. I was pretty surprised based on the laid back way they are in their videos.

Wow. I don't know why that would have set them off, unless you came off as overly pedantic or nitpicky or something. Still, there is no excuse for ganging up on someone just for pointing out a little mistake.

Yeah, I'm surprised about that too, they DO seem to be open-minded and not the type to take offense to minor criticism, especially it it's only correcting erroneous information! I also agree that "over-the-top" personalities would be even worse, but being flat and boring can be just as bad. Really, they're just two guys that, while very knowledgeable, just aren't that great in front of a camera.

I hope I'm not sounding TOO negative about the show, like I said, take it or leave it. It's not great, but it's not bad. Some points of the show I like: They cover things you often wouldn't see covered otherwise, and don't just give an opinionated, parroted review with no personal experience or knowledge on the subject. Major plus there. They have many different types of shows, be it system focused, genre Focused, comparisons, overseas only/American only, ports, etc... the list goes on, so you're bound to find SOMETHING that interests you in their catalog. As well, despite being a little weak as hosts/personalities, the show itself has great production values with game footage, green-screening, scene cuts, and musical soundtrack.

Wow. I don't know why that would have set them off, unless you came off as overly pedantic or nitpicky or something. Still, there is no excuse for ganging up on someone just for pointing out a little mistake.

I assumed that they assumed I was being nitpicky but that wasn't my intent. I still watch them and I am subbed. Just never understood getting flamed for an innocent comment. I've said it before though - the youtube comment section is chalk full of intellectual diarrhoea. Perhaps they thought I had the runs too :D

I actually enjoy Gamesack, and have been watching them for quite awhile...though not extremely informative, just really fun to watch, as most video game reviewers aren't very informative, and if they are, it's just boring as hell to watch....anyone watch the LJN defender..? Just discovered this guy...enjoyable channel, and can be very knowledgable about certain titles..

Hah yeah I seen this many times. Recently I posted a comment regarding a guy who does gaming news, commentary etc, the headline caught me in my videos to check out suggestions and as soon as I clicked on it realized OH, this was a guy I was subbed to a while back and as I continued to watch and listen it all came back to me as to WHY I had unsubbed previously. Though the interest and content was there, he had good delivery and a voice for narrating he pretty much starts the show, ends the show, and in between after about every sentence of dialogue makes these really bad, forced and overall annoying "jokes" and comments. Now I get that this is his shtick and he has a lot of subscribers but I basically said what I thought and WOW, the backlash was crazy. Pretty much if you comment or have a views about someone popular on youtube that isn't 100% supportive or blowing smoke up their ass, you will get majorly attacked, and the subscribers will insult you in all kinds of ways they can think of including things that have nothing to do with the subject lol. It is like you cannot dare say anything uncomplimentary about their youtube "gods" lol. It really is sad and pathetic. To be fair the person who made the video NEVER SAID A THING, because I believe, he knows what I said was not a falsehood in anyway, or he simply may not care because he knows that YEAH his videos are annoying, the jokes bad etc AND HE HAS TONS OF SUBSCRIBERS and makes bank on it so he is could care less what one particular stranger on youtube has to say lol but his "fans" now that is another story, they are a vicious bunch unless they are kissing the ass and sucking up to the person they are subscribed to. If you are getting more worked up, annoyed, upset by a random strangers comment / opinion then the person they have directed it towards you might want to rethink your priorities.

Anyway, as for GAME SACK specifically, well I don't recall them ever snidely responding to a comment, I think only once or twice I might of correcting something in a video but they did not seem to notice, I was turned off initially by some inaccuracies but I decided not to take them to seriously, They still seem to at least put some effort into their videos and while they rarely show or convey anything I don't already know they seem harmless enough and they DO each have their own honest opinions of games / hardware so I give them a pass for the most part. I find a lot of these guys who are actually a little older having lived through some of the history and evolution of games do come into this with more knowledge then say younger people or those that are just into games casually but maybe because of this they take it a little too serious and think their recollection of things is the only one that matters.

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer
  • Like 1

Same thing happened with me.

I think their show is good but I do have some issues with some of their episodes. I guess I don't expect every little piece of information to be 100% correct, but if you are going to dedicate an entire episode to a certain genre (like fighting games), at least learn to play the games before talking about them. Episodes where they clearly don't know what they are doing in the games they are playing are a joke. This issue could completely be forgiven if they just gave a quick disclaimer letting you know their experience with the game(s) on topic are non-existent, but they don't--they spit out their rushed opinions like it's gospel and I don't think that's a very professional way to go about doing things. Watching a video of Mortal Kombat II for instance and only seeing jump kicks and high punches with zero special moves is absolutely grating to watch and it makes it hard to take their opinions seriously in these cases.

Edited by Austin

Same thing happened with me.

I think their show is good but I do have some issues with some of their episodes. I guess I don't expect every little piece of information to be 100% correct, but if you are going to dedicate an entire episode to a certain genre (like fighting games), at least learn to play the games before talking about them. Episodes where they clearly don't know what they are doing in the games they are playing are a joke. This issue could completely be forgiven if they just gave a quick disclaimer letting you know their experience with the game(s) on topic are non-existent, but they don't--they spit out their rushed opinions like it's gospel and I don't think that's a very professional way to go about doing things. Watching a video of Mortal Kombat II for instance and only seeing jump kicks and high punches with zero special moves is absolutely grating to watch and it makes it hard to take their opinions seriously in these cases.

I remember one of the hosts admitting that he's terrible at Mortal Kombat and that he has no interest in the game.

I remember one of the hosts admitting that he's terrible at Mortal Kombat and that he has no interest in the game.

You know, he might be a little bit better at it if he learned to press back-back-B with Scorpion, or back-back-forward with Raiden, or, or..

If you can't even do a special move, you're not terrible at the game--you're not even trying.

Edited by Austin
  • Like 1

I'm going to guess that they rush their capture footage and just get out a little bit of the game, perhaps a different level or two just to get some gameplay. I'll admit I've done the same thing in the past. It's certainly not something I'm proud of and not something I've done often since I usually like to dedicate as much quality time with a game as I can so I can give an informed opinion. This, BTW, is one of the reasons I haven't made a lot of videos myself. Not enough time to really dedicate to doing videos properly.

• Like 1

Game sack is probably my favorite retro gaming youtube series. I appreciate the professionalism and the lack of trying to do a 'character' like most of the youtubers out there that just endless rip off Spoony or AVGN, etc.

I think they do a great job all things considered. Anyone that's messed with video knows that filming and editing a video is not easy. That's why so many youtube videos are people holding a shaky video camera up to a game playing on a TV. Doing it to the level that the more 'professional' guys do can be a major time sink so i appreciate their efforts.

They've also put me onto some games I wouldn't have known about otherwise which isn't very common for me.

I look forward to their episodes.. in fact they just put one out a few days ago I need to watch.

Their videos are pretty good for info on games, but sometimes they're a little boring. They barely ever change their tone, and it begins to seem like a monotone NPR news broadcast after a while. Plus most of the humor doesn't really do it for me. It also seems like they never cover much anything but the Turbografx, Genesis, and SNES. They do talk about other systems, yes, but they're a little overconcentrated on the 16 bit era.

Don't get me wrong, I still watch their vids occasionally, but there a few are Youtubers I really prefer watching over them for retro game videos.

A bit ago was trying to figure out which obscure, spendy genesis shmups I wanted at some chinese bootleg site. They had a great video that outlined pretty much the lot of them.

It's a great place to go, hear a few words about a a stack of games and see a brief clip of it in action. Just perfect for my needs most of the time. They went into more detail on a few of the games, but really it was the 'and here's the rest' that helped me out the most. They're kind of the 'videogamecritic.com' of youtube, with some added banter.

Their videos are pretty good for info on games, but sometimes they're a little boring. They barely ever change their tone, and it begins to seem like a monotone NPR news broadcast after a while. Plus most of the humor doesn't really do it for me. It also seems like they never cover much anything but the Turbografx, Genesis, and SNES. They do talk about other systems, yes, but they're a little overconcentrated on the 16 bit era.

Don't get me wrong, I still watch their vids occasionally, but there a few are Youtubers I really prefer watching over them for retro game videos.

They cover more modern systems such as the Playstation 2, but the NES seems to be as early as they go. They never discuss Atari 2600.

I've heard of this series but never checked it out because the name "Game Sack" made me think that it must be about guys obsessively hoarding old cartridges, talking about "value" and eBay and fleamarkets and other such bullshit, without ever actually playing anything or talking about the games. Sounds like the show might be worth checking out if they actually have a commentary as part of their format.

I pretty much watch them to get info and an opinion on games of which I am not aware.

I've heard of this series but never checked it out because the name "Game Sack" made me think that it must be about guys obsessively hoarding old cartridges, talking about "value" and eBay and fleamarkets and other such bullshit, without ever actually playing anything or talking about the games. Sounds like the show might be worth checking out if they actually have a commentary as part of their format.

They not only play the games they review, they tell you when they couldn't beat it/get to a certain level whatever during the review. They very rarely discuss prices (and usually when they do they it's with praeteritio: "I hear it's expensive, but since I bought it back in the day, I'm not really sure how much it goes for." Less common, "I had to borrow Joe's/Dave's, because the price on this thing now is too outrageous."

Just watched their episode on the Super Grafx/Atari Jaguar and am not impressed. I cannot judge the SuperGrafx as I have never played one (a Turbo Duo was the closest I ever laid my hands on), but the Jaguar review leaves a lot to be desired. They referred to "Iron Soldier" as a "poor man's 'Metal Head'" (32X) - really? - I always thought "Metal Head" had a miserable drawing distance akin to "Cybermorph", poor frame rate and even lacked vertical aiming. They played T2K exceptionally bad and claimed one cannot strafe in AvP (a simple glimpse on either of the three keypad overlays proves them wrong). The choice of reviewed titles is also less than optimal (a Mega Drive review shouldn't include "Rise of the Robots", "Ultraman" and "Awesome Possum", and a Jaguar review for the same reasons should not include "Club Drive", "Fight for Life" and "Checkered Flag").