IGNORED

Wico controller question

Noah98

Is this controller worth $10? The stick and keypad look good but the side buttons are crazy stiff. I like Wico controllers and I know the Colecovision doesn't have much to choose from. My local game store has one and I am tempted to buy it.

Is it an improvement over the stock controllers?

post-36283-0-40537700-1423967391_thumb.jpg

pretty much all the second hand controllers suck compared to the originals, which of course everyone always says how much they hate the originals. Yurkie and other have modded the original colecovision controllers with a ball knob instead of the flat saucer. This makes the controller awesome in my opinion and I think everyone would have loved the coleco controllers if coleco had used this setup instead of the one they chose.

Pretty much everyone has said the wico controllers aren't fun and I think most people have them just to have them as part of their collection and don't actually use them.

pretty much all the second hand controllers suck compared to the originals, which of course everyone always says how much they hate the originals. Yurkie and other have modded the original colecovision controllers with a ball knob instead of the flat saucer. This makes the controller awesome in my opinion and I think everyone would have loved the coleco controllers if coleco had used this setup instead of the one they chose.

Pretty much everyone has said the wico controllers aren't fun and I think most people have them just to have them as part of their collection and don't actually use them.

Thanks for the quick response! Maybe I'll pass on it. I need to get Yurkie to refurbish my controllers when I get the funds.

To add to a collection for $10 ---- Yes

To play games with for $10 --- No

All of the 3rd Party controllers with built-in keypads have their issues and you will end up reverting back to the original Coleco hand controller... especially is you get the ball-knob and cord straightening mods by Yurkie.

It's true the joystick is awful but if you remove the joystick you can wire up a 9 pin connector and use it as an excellent passthrough. I did that with the one I have, the keypad is quite excellent.

I modified a 3 button genesis pad with a few diodes and got the colecovision button configuration I like.. left right left as the a b and c buttons on the pad.

I like this config as I can just move my fingers to the buttons I like to use since the right button or b is on the middle I can effectively switch my coleco buttons by just switching to the a and b, or b and c.

This works great if you ever think..why did they put the fire button on the right coleco button and the bomb on the left etc..

Wow went off topic there ..apologies.

Moral of my take is that they are excellent useful with a little hacking.