IGNORED

Intellivision Flashback Upgrade Service

Byte Knight

I also want to thank Byte Knight for his superb FlashBack upgrade service. He upgraded two Flashbacks for me one Intellivision and one Colecovision. They both turned out perfect. If you're on the fence and not sure if you should get your flashback upgraded, please do you won't regret it.

Just like everyone else has been stating the setup instructions are simple and very easy to follow.

-NML32

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I should have upgraded my Flashback months ago. I got my Byte Knight Ultimate Intellivision FlashBack yesterday and my 10 year old and I have been playing my childhood favorite games for hours. Keith got the controllers right, but Byte Knight got the rest of the system right. I highly recommend upgrading a Flashback, it makes these games look and sound crystal clear.

KB

• Like 3

I just got my Ultimate Intellivision Flashback yesterday.....all I can say is 'WOW!!'

If you don't have one of these you NEED to get one.

I love being able to play on a crystal clear HDMI connected 40 inch HD TV and experience all the sounds properly. The Intellivision Flashback emulator buzzer really grates on my nerves!

I really loved that it was ready 'out of the box'.....I am sure that I could have eventually got it going, but this thing is 'plug and play'.....turn it on, and the games with all the box art right there at your finger tips.

Highly recommended!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a used Ultimate Intellivision Flashback (from Carl Mueller, no less), and it had an older version of the RPi and Emulation Station frontend. For a fee, Byte Knight upgraded both the hardware and software for me. It's easily my favourite Xmas gift from my wife this year. I'm having a blast revisiting my youth! It's very well put together, and the Flashback controllers work perfectly with this.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I received my Ultimate Intellivision Flashback from Byte Knight about a week ago, and I am mightily impressed. It has exceeded my expectations on all counts. The graphics and sound are amazing, the instructions are easy to follow, the front-end is seamless, and adding new games is straightforward. On top of that, the turnaround time was super-fast.

Anyone with an interest in Intellivision emulation should buy this upgrade! Thanks again Byte Knight!

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I will say that I got mine as well. It is superb. Amazing. I recommend everyone get one upgraded to this!!! Byte Knight is the best! I'm soooooooooooo happy! - I only wish i could add some of the new games to it that only come as cartridges. I wish i could buy roms of the new games like Kroz and the Sydney Hunter games.

Edited by Duglor
  • Like 3

I got mine earlier this summer. Since I was away working on the road I hadn't had a chance to take it for a test spin until about 2 weeks ago. Plugged it in and am just floored how awesome it is to have this. Finally able to play Diner after all these years of just watching videos.... Playing Deadly Discs again and instantly reminded how cool that simple game is.... Back on the road again but can't wait for next visit home to spend a bit more time with it. Highly recommend this if you don't have the skill or time to make your own. Worth every penny.

• Like 1

I got mine earlier this summer. Since I was away working on the road I hadn't had a chance to take it for a test spin until about 2 weeks ago. Plugged it in and am just floored how awesome it is to have this. Finally able to play Diner after all these years of just watching videos.... Playing Deadly Discs again and instantly reminded how cool that simple game is.... Back on the road again but can't wait for next visit home to spend a bit more time with it. Highly recommend this if you don't have the skill or time to make your own. Worth every penny.

It is not small enough to take with you on the road?

I travel a lot, too, so I know all about not wanting to carry extra weight around if you don't need to...

It is not small enough to take with you on the road?

I travel a lot, too, so I know all about not wanting to carry extra weight around if you don't need to...

Oh no it's def small enough to bring and I actually did. But the TV at my hotel is 1080i and the Flashback is set to 1080p. Todd said it could be changed but i didn't wanna go thru the hassle when I know at home my TV was 1080p so as difficult as it was to have to wait I did and plugged it in at home when we had a break and all was A-OK.

It's ment to be played on a CRT, not a LCD TV

Have you tried Retropie on a standard crt television? The raspberry pi analog ouput is by default 480i but the Intellivision and other systems of the time output 240p. I was wondering how it looks, does it drop half the frames?

HD televisions are usually 1080p or 768p, but they are optimised for 720p, 1080i, and some TVs 1080p signals. There's no such thing as a 1080i LCD display so that hotel TV is likely a 768p display. You would think the TV performs best at its native resolution, so its not a bad idea to match. Hard to say for sure, maybe the pi performs better at lower resolutions.

Edited by mr_me

I've connected my Ultimate Intellivision Controller (raspberry pi zero running retropie) to numerous hotel TVs without issues and without having to change any settings.

Many moons ago at home I connected my Pi3 to my gaming CRT using its AV output. The image was slightly larger than the actual screen.

I didn't bother try and change any settings because I only connected it to setup my wifi.

I didn't play any games, so I can not comment on the AV -> CRT resolution or game play.

Edited by fdr4prez

I had one of those in my retropie unit and had request read errors. The micro sd side seemed too loose.

I went with this one... bought it on Amazon, but they have it on eBay as well. I used high grade 2-sided tape on the back of the SD side and mounted it in the cart insert opening. Been working great for months

http://m.ebay.com/itm/232377464699?_mwBanner=1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello.

I have the ultimate intellivision flashback retropie currently. I can of course plat the intellivision games beautifully. I can also play atari and colecovision games using these controllers, though there are flaws. I can load up tg16/pce games and msx games, but they do not work with the intellivision controllers. Is there a cfg file or some simple files I can download to my pc, put them on a usb, and get them into the retropie that would let me play atari2600, msx ,tg16' colecovision, and the turbo colecovision game with the intellivision controllers and run well? I have the 2.6 currently. I have been researching for a week, but have failed.

Sincerely, douglas s duglor@gmail.com

The Intellivision controller is just a regular USB game controller to Retropie. Not sure where you looked but the official Retropie online documentation is for current Retropie v4.x. Unlike the Intellivision emulator many of the other emulators use a common Retroarch controller configuration. In new versions that setup is integrated with general frontend (Emulationstation) setup; but in older versions Retroarch controller configuration is done seperately. You might need to plug in a keyboard and exit to the commandline. See the following and have a look at the notes rather than the video.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0FT4i2CQVI

Edit: Note that I think your controller keypad starts at button 08 and the three custom combo keys are buttons 03/04/05, but it depends on your USB adapter.

Edited by mr_me

The Intellivision controller is just a regular USB game controller to Retropie. Not sure where you looked but the official Retropie online documentation is for current Retropie v4.x. Unlike the Intellivision emulator many of the other emulators use a common Retroarch controller configuration. In new versions that setup is integrated with general frontend (Emulationstation) setup; but in older versions Retroarch controller configuration is done seperately. You might need to plug in a keyboard and exit to the commandline. See the following and have a look at the notes rather than the video.

Edit: Note that I think your controller keypad starts at button 08 and the three custom combo keys are buttons 03/04/05, but it depends on your USB adapter.

Hello.

I have the ultimate intellivision flashback retropie currently. I can of course plat the intellivision games beautifully. I can also play atari and colecovision games using these controllers, though there are flaws. I can load up tg16/pce games and msx games, but they do not work with the intellivision controllers. Is there a cfg file or some simple files I can download to my pc, put them on a usb, and get them into the retropie that would let me play atari2600, msx ,tg16' colecovision, and the turbo colecovision game with the intellivision controllers and run well? I have the 2.6 currently. I have been researching for a week, but have failed.

Sincerely, douglas s duglor@gmail.com

Coleco vision Turbo was programmed to use a spinner control (steering wheel). The CoolCV emulator does support steering wheel emulation with a mouse/spinner/steering wheel. If you want to use the Intellivision controller or any joystick or gamepad you would need a hacked version of Turbo that's been modified for joysticks. I think that hack might have been done, check in the coleco vision forum.

I'm pretty sure the turbo grafx 16 emulator goes through retroarch (described in previous post). Which emulators are you using for Atari2600 and coleco vision; what's flawed with their controls?