IGNORED

Intellivision Flashback Upgrade Service

Byte Knight

Hi.

The atari2600 and colecovision will sometimes freeze while playing. I don't know why it does this. To resume the game in Atari2600 is to press button 7 and for Colecovision, buttons 0andor 9 and sometimes that will reset the game as well. This doesn't always happen, sometimes the game just resumes.

When i hit f1 while in the the tg16 emulator . Quick menu controller config says that controller 1 and 2 are mapped to pce controllers. There is no option to change this to retropad /gamepad. That's probably why the tg16 doesn't work at all with the intellivison controllers. It only works with the keyboard.

I'm using the coleco turbo hacked rom. thanks for that.

So that's what's going on. The intellivision emulation is flawless. Thanks Todd. Mr. Me, I wish someone as clever as yourself lived near me in Los Angeles. I could just bring the thing over to him/her and hope they can update the thing to retropie 4 and customize it for my controllers. But lacking that, I hope you/me/we/us can figure how to fix these minor problems. I thank you very much even if we do not.

sincerely, Douglas duglor@gmail.com

-Doug

If keypad 7 or another single keypad button pauses the Atari 2600 emulator then the unexpected pauses might be from a hardware issue with the controller itself. Didn't know flashback controllers also had that problem. If that is the case maybe you could reconfigure pause to be one of the combo buttons. Or use a regular USB gamepad. The same might be happening with coleco vision not sure. With Turbografx16, have you tried configuring the controller with the Retroarch setup? That might take care of msx as well. A new Retropie version might make it easier to setup Retroarch controllers but probably wont solve your problems. If you get another sd card you can try the latest retropie without touching your current setup.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok....i had troubles with this and it was repaired by someone else. I think. Everything works with the keyboard..but the flashback intellivision controllers/gamepads are not recognized. Gamepads not detected. Could something have gotten disconnected inside the flashback? I don't understand. The flashback intv controllers are not working with the intellivision emulation. I currently have the system set up for atari 2600, colecovision, intellivision and atari 7800. I almost always play the intellivision emulation.

Be well everyone. I hope someone can figure this out. The Intellivision controllers do not work with anything now. They are not detected.

-Doug

it also doesn't recognize the intv controllers with the atari 7800 emulation retroarch menu. Just the keyboard again.

Edited by Duglor

• 1 month later...

Byte Knight upgraded an Intellivision Flashback for me and I can’t overstate how impressed I am with both the design and execution. I realized, however, that I prefer to play these games on original hardware. Consequently, I would like to offer my Ultimate INTV Flashback for sale at $179.00, which equates to my cost of $30 for the Flashback plus $149.00 for the upgrade. I will pay the cost of Priority Mail shipping to a US address. Something this nice ought to belong to someone who will use it more frequently than I. Please send me a PM if interested.

• 2 weeks later...

I got my Flashback from Byte Knight and it's awesome. I sold my Intellivision earlier this year and now I can enjoy it again and then some.

There is one thing, I accidentally reconfigured the button mapping for an original colecovision controller (my INTV FB also has the the CV emulator installed as well) and now I can't control anything with it. Does anyone know how I can reconfigure it back to normal?

There is one thing, I accidentally reconfigured the button mapping for an original colecovision controller (my INTV FB also has the the CV emulator installed as well) and now I can't control anything with it. Does anyone know how I can reconfigure it back to normal?

PM sent with the fix!

• 2 weeks later...

I got the Ultimate Intellivision FB second-hand from classicist, and it's great, the games play exactly how I remember them from my original Intellivision except now on a bigger, better TV! Thanks classicist, and of course Byte Knight. Also thanks Trade-N-Games for getting a bunch of original overlays to me for a good price.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I just wanted everyone here to know that Byte Knight's, work is GREAT! The Pi work-over works flawlessly! Complete professional product. His work with the Frontend and removing anything that makes it feel like a computer (load screens etc) completely removed. I can respect this as I built my own Mame Cabinet years ago and I know what it takes to give it an authentic feel. I appreciate the work and the attention to detail he put into this! I am so pleased! My wife and I played Baseball (one of my favs) and she also enjoyed it! I went easy on her :) thanks again!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Byte Knight, I'm thinking of picking up a Colecovision Flashback for your service, but I have to ask you if you like the controllers with the Coleco FB?

Unlike the Intellivision Flashback which has excellent controllers, the ColecoVision Flashback controllers are not very good. I prefer playing with original ColecoVision controllers.

See how I brought that back to the Intellivision? :grin:

• Like 1

Unlike the Intellivision Flashback which has excellent controllers, the ColecoVision Flashback controllers are not very good. I prefer playing with original ColecoVision controllers.

See how I brought that back to the Intellivision? :grin:

its funny, i prefer the coleco flashback controllers. Even as a kid all the coleco joystick did was give me hand cramps.

• 2 weeks later...

I have PM'ed Byte Knight on this upgrade. With a question or two. But i'd like to ask you guys a couple of questions. I have read through most of this thread.

A. The two VGA looking ports on the front of the upgrade, what are those for?

B. This Does have HDMI, correct? Where is the HDMI output? I cant seem to find any pictures.

C. Is there a master list of the games that come with his upgrade?

Thanks in advance,

Denicio

A. The two VGA looking ports on the front of the upgrade, what are those for?

B. This Does have HDMI, correct? Where is the HDMI output? I cant seem to find any pictures.

C. Is there a master list of the games that come with his upgrade?

I PM'ed you too, but here are the answers to your questions:

A. As mentioned in the previous post, those are the existing DB9 controller ports.

B. Yes, it has a HDMI port in the back where the AV port used to be. There's also a USB dongle sticking out the back for adding roms via a USB thumb drive or hooking up a keyboard.

C. It comes with the 60 built-in Flashback games, but you can add more via a USB thumb drive or wifi. This is all described in the instruction manual.

A. Those aren't 15-pin VGA ports, they're 9-pin DB9 ports and that's where you plug the controllers in.

B. HDMI dongle in the rear, where the A/V outlet used to be.

C. You get whatever ROMS come with the Flashback, so can use that list as a master.

Thanks for clearing up the DB9 question. Truth be told, i have a flashback system but never played it. Sitting new in a box......because i felt like i was cheating on my original Intellivision system! So having never played one i was perplexed with the jacks on the front.

I am coming late to the upgrade game.....it seems....but this upgrade of Byte Knight seems too good to be true! I think i am gonna take the plunge!

Thanks for clearing up the DB9 question. Truth be told, i have a flashback system but never played it. Sitting new in a box......because i felt like i was cheating on my original Intellivision system! So having never played one i was perplexed with the jacks on the front.

I am coming late to the upgrade game.....it seems....but this upgrade of Byte Knight seems too good to be true! I think i am gonna take the plunge!

Do it. You'll be very, very happy.

Do it. You'll be very, very happy.

After several PM's back and forth with Byte Knight (This dude is fast to respond and give detailed answers!) i have officially put my FB console in the hands of Fed Ex and its headed to the land of ice and snow for a Byte Knight Spa Day!

I am GIDDY with excitement about having ALL the games in a perfect emulation in one box....AND outputting HDMI. Nothing will be able to beat Dreadnaught Factor on a 70" HDTV!!

I am sure i will be hounding several Intellynerds about some of the ROM's that are either upgrades to existing games or homebrews...so please bear with me. I am a 48 year old Intellynerd thats getting back in the game. Now all i need is my Redline MXII BMX bike and i will be YOUNG AGAIN!

Edited by Denicio
  • Like 1

If you are having problems finding the ROMs for games you already own on cartridge, there are several options.

One option, though probably not the easiest, is to use a ROM dumper, such as the AtariMax's MaxFlash USB Programmer. It costs $75 to get the basic MaxFlash and the Intellivision adapter.

https://www.atarimax.com/flashcart/documentation/index.html

You can get the Intellivision Rocks CD from the Intellivision Productions store but Intellivision Lives CD is a little tougher to find. Intellivision Lives for Playstation might be easier/cheaper and there's a way to extract the rom files from the resource file.

You won't find any third party copyrighted games on them. So no Trons or arcade games. These rom files are easy to find, it's just against forum rules to tell you exactly where. [And I see Denicio was asking specifically about homebrews and hacks.]

Edited by mr_me

• 2 weeks later...

My turn for a review of BK's Flashback console.

Its simply amazing! As a kid who grew up on these systems when they were new, these games are part of my DNA. I know the sounds, the game play and the feel of these games. This just nails it! Combined with the fact that i dont have to worry about 30 year old carts even better. With the HDMI connection....its simply beautiful!

Its been many many years since i have given any time to game play and realized i have lost my Intelly-edge. I am terrible at the games i was good at. Well, i now have the perfect system to relearn these games.

Byte Knight ROCKS! His turn around was stunningly fast.

Alas, i am 12 years old again and cussing at my console! Damn those aliens in Space Armada....they move too fast!

I am so glad i sent my FB console to Byte Knight for his mod.

Denicio

• Like 2